D16Y7 sporadicly runs rough/misfire, no code

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
No pics, I didn't even think of it before we cleaned it... Yeah, it was the weirdest thing... It was oily, and straight across from the rotor......

RonJ

Banned
Oil inside the dizzy generally indicates a bad internal seal. This is another good reason to replace the entire distributor.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
What's the interchange on this distributor? 96-00 should all be identical, correct?

RonJ

Banned
Don't quote me on this, but I think there is a difference between VTEC versus non-VTEC and 96-98 versus 99-00 dizzys.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Don't quote me on this, but I think there is a difference between VTEC versus non-VTEC and 96-98 versus 99-00 dizzys.
Yeah, I thought the Y8 dizzy's were different, but someone told me 99/00 are different which I have no idea about.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Found one at a junkyard a friend of mine owns ---- they've got a 98 Y7 motor sitting on the shelf with 96,000 miles... $55 for the distributor... Only thing that worries me is it has been sitting for 5 years. BUT the car did run great before they took the motor out of it, so who knows.

KiDxTrUe

5+ Year Member
kinda new to most of this stuff so i dont know about engines, but what do u guys mean by "throwing codes"?? if u guys want to make fun of me go ahead, i just want to know what u guys mean lol, i have a similar problem that is y im asking.
Although it is slightly different, when i first start the car i turn the key to start the car and it sounds like it wants to start but it cant, and after i start it for like 10 seconds it finally starts, but during that whole 10 seconds i have to push down on the gas pedal for the car to start and when it does start i hold down on the gas pedal for about 10 seconds if not then the car will stop. my car does this only when its cold, like when i wake up in the morning. After that it is fine unless i let the car sit for up to about 5-8 hours. i have no idea what it is, then again i have no experience with cars, this is my first car and it happens to be a honda civic :D lol. i checked under my hood and me and my step father noticed that there is a minor gap from the headers and the bottom pipe(not sure of technical name) which is letting air escape. can that be the problem? if so should i just take off the headers and reseal? if so how and what materials. And just to let u guys know, this problem only occurred after i had sum1 do an engine swap on my car, i had a d16y8 non vtech to a d16y8 vtech reason i swapped is cuz i blew my engine.
Thanks for all help and info

RonJ

Banned
kinda new to most of this stuff so i dont know about engines, but what do u guys mean by "throwing codes"?? if u guys want to make fun of me go ahead, i just want to know what u guys mean lol, i have a similar problem that is y im asking.
Although it is slightly different, when i first start the car i turn the key to start the car and it sounds like it wants to start but it cant, and after i start it for like 10 seconds it finally starts, but during that whole 10 seconds i have to push down on the gas pedal for the car to start and when it does start i hold down on the gas pedal for about 10 seconds if not then the car will stop. my car does this only when its cold, like when i wake up in the morning. After that it is fine unless i let the car sit for up to about 5-8 hours. i have no idea what it is, then again i have no experience with cars, this is my first car and it happens to be a honda civic :D lol. i checked under my hood and me and my step father noticed that there is a minor gap from the headers and the bottom pipe(not sure of technical name) which is letting air escape. can that be the problem? if so should i just take off the headers and reseal? if so how and what materials. And just to let u guys know, this problem only occurred after i had sum1 do an engine swap on my car, i had a d16y8 non vtech to a d16y8 vtech reason i swapped is cuz i blew my engine.
Thanks for all help and info
Click the CEL link in my signature.

To my knowledge, all stock D16Y8 engines are VTEC unless modified.

KiDxTrUe

5+ Year Member
how do u determine weather or not its a obd2 or just a number by the number of blinks

akimm17

5+ Year Member
alright just throwing this out there since it hasnt been said. have you checked the throttle body and wire completely? sometimes just a nice cleaning will do a world of wonder
also i know this is for a d16y8 but its work checking out or at least researching for your engine
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=68638
its the instructions on replacing a pcv valve. the valve itself costs maybe 5 bucks or so and the only technical skills you really need are to be able to change the oil. (ps oil change could help too)
i noticed that my car had an irregular idle and after changing the pcv valve it runs perfectly
good luck! hope my advice helps

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
yeah - for the hell of it I got a PCV valve today to switch when I do my next LOF.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Got 27mpg out of this last tank. Eeekk! I get better in my trans am!!! DAMN THIS COLD WEATHER!! I need to replace these parts!!

khrys771

5+ Year Member
i had a similar problem when my iacv was sticking, at 2000 - 3500 the revs would bounce like a 2step, then the more i pressed the pedal the faster it got, then it would shoot up to 3500 and rev like normal after that,

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had a similar problem when my iacv was sticking, at 2000 - 3500 the revs would bounce like a 2step, then the more i pressed the pedal the faster it got, then it would shoot up to 3500 and rev like normal after that,
x2 on my car.

could it be a fuel pump? mine only does it when its cold, or when i turn, to back out a full 90 degrees or something. and if i make a turn, after i make that turn and make it to the straight away it will buck wildly. it happens randomly, even if im barely hitting the throttle or just idling.

i get about 25-29 MPG on my d16y8

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My tib used to do the same thing, when it was cold or if i didnt let it warm up it would just sputter a little at 3k rpm. It went away tho on its own =/

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My tib used to do the same thing, when it was cold or if i didnt let it warm up it would just sputter a little at 3k rpm. It went away tho on its own =/
yea mine too but still. it shouldnt be doing that, and we need to find out why!