Differences between 96-98 and 99-00

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
itsmycookie said:
no the whole fronts are different it won;t line up unless you do a full front end conversion
wrong. it won;t bolt right up as stated ^^ above by jay jay
oops... I missed read it. I thought as in doing a front end conversion. But with the stock fenders and head lights and such it won't work.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
xcutedpguy said:
so basically all i have to do is purchase a 99 bumper and it bolts right on???????
No. In order for it to fit you definately need the bumper, grill, headlights, hood, and fenders. It is debatable of whether or not you need the core support, but I believe you do after seeing so many cuts in the top of the bumper of '99-'00 bumpers on '96-'98 bodies.

Another difference is the ignitions are different part numbers. A lot of the electronic parts are difference parts numbers too. The entire heating and air conditioning system is pretty much different, including the heater core. So yes, if you want to swap out your '96-'98 climate control for the '99-'00 climate control with the big round knobs, you need to pull the dash and redo EVERYTHING.

My advice is be wary when buying parts for your car if they're from the other end of the spectrum unless you KNOW that they are the same part number.

aemkitfox

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my feelings are, if someone wants a 99 bad enough, just get one instead of spending more money to end up with factory parts

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
aemkitfox said:
my feelings are, if someone wants a 99 bad enough, just get one instead of spending more money to end up with factory parts
:werd: Much cheaper too. And less of a pain in the ass.

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think anyone has said this yet, but it can help. The distributors of all the 96-00 are the same exsept for the 99-00 ex. Its plug is diffrent, its a 8 pin and the other one is a 10 ping with a dead plug. If you get the 99 ex distributor, it is easy to convert it over, its just a ghetto rig job.

You will need the plug from your car, match it up exactly how the other one is layed out. Only one that won't line up is the black/yellow wire. They match to each other. Then you take a wire from inside the old distributor from a the side of a small sensor facing the internal coil. It looks like a cpu to be honest.

How you run that wire is up to you. The only real diffrence is that one wire. Its blue on the outside and greenish on the inside. If you accually have to do this, you can email me and I can give more detail. It is fairly easy.

yblegal

5+ Year Member
did you find a plact to buy a spoiler?

99hatchie said:
Yeah When I bought my hatch I didn't know there were differrences but I like the 99's better so I got lucky my car is a 99. Hey do you guys know where I can find a decent price on the Original Civic Type-r Spoiler.
If you find a place to find a spoiler let me know i'd like to buy one for my si.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yblegal said:
If you find a place to find a spoiler let me know i'd like to buy one for my si.
now if you have a 99-00 si then your car probally has the type r spoiler already on it =) if not, then just look for an si spoiler cause they are the same.

civicstar98

5+ Year Member
i have seen the differences first hand. so i thought i would ask you my problem is i am having a lil trouble with my 99 front end conversion on my 98 civic. the new 99 civic bumber is just not going in to place and i heard you had to cut something but i don't know what it is. the fenders where direct bolt on just like the lights and hood but the bumpers is fighting me

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i can't remember if this was mentioned, but the 96-98 d16y8s are open head casting, whil ethe 99-00 d16y8s are closed head casting

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
civicstar98 said:
i have seen the differences first hand. so i thought i would ask you my problem is i am having a lil trouble with my 99 front end conversion on my 98 civic. the new 99 civic bumber is just not going in to place and i heard you had to cut something but i don't know what it is. the fenders where direct bolt on just like the lights and hood but the bumpers is fighting me
I've been telling people before that you have to modify the bumper (the metal part that is on your car, NOT the bumper cover you've gotten new!) and the core support on the '96-'98s to fit the '99-'00 front end on. I've met with people telling me I'm wrong because they sell '99-'00 front ends and there is no modification needed.

On the other hand... I've actually SEEN where people have had to modify the bumper and the core support to fit the bumper cover on.

HA FREAKING HA. I f**king said it had to be done, and this guy shows that it needed to. I've seen some piss-poor conversions where it looks like people just put the wrong front end on and you end up with gaps in the corners. Sure, this one isn't lined up perfectly, but it's a lot better than a certain hatchback I saw with the same conversion done that has about a quarter of an inch of gap in his corners as though his front bumper is sagging. Just looks like his headlights don't fit perfectly on this one in the link (that's just a matter of resetting the headlights).
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=59851

Sorry... just really aggrivating to hear people tell me it's just bolt on when I've only seen how tos and photos show with the modification.

I imagine the car I was talking about that has this conversion didn't modify the bumper support or core support and that's why it has fitment issues.

civicstar98

5+ Year Member
sick it is good to know that the problem is not with the car. do you have pictures that show the cuts i need to make on the core support to make it fit correctly.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
civicstar98 said:
sick it is good to know that the problem is not with the car. do you have pictures that show the cuts i need to make on the core support to make it fit correctly.
Click the link in my last post. It has photos of the entire process of the conversion.

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I just bought a 2000 y8 head that i am gonna put on my 98 y7 block. I figured out that the INTAKE MANIFOLDS are different between the 96-98 EX and the 99-00 EX. The 99-00 has the IACV built into the throttle body, and the 96-98 has the IACV attached to the back of the manifold. This creates a problem, because I am using a 96-98 EX ecu and it looks for the 2 wire IACV that goes on the back of the manifold, but all I have is the 3 wire IACV that is attached to the throttle body.

schutzracing

#1 ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
interior

u missed something on the interior.. the rear upper and lower panels are way different.. i know first hand..

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
schutzracing said:
u missed something on the interior.. the rear upper and lower panels are way different.. i know first hand..
This is where you would tell us HOW they are different. ;)

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2 questions: are the 99-00 si side skirts any different than the stock ones and will si side skirts fit a 97 coupe?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mahlmann said:
2 questions: are the 99-00 si side skirts any different than the stock ones and will si side skirts fit a 97 coupe?
They fit. I have Si skirts on my '98 coupe.