Differences between 96-98 and 99-00

Jordanek4

5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
And core support.
core support is not necesarely needed, but if you do, than it will be bolt on, otherwise see my version of the howto:
Frontconversion Civic 96-98 to 99-00

What's needed:
- 99-00 hood
- 99-00 headlight units
- 99-00 front side fenders
- 99-00 grille
- 99-00 front bumper

For the people who try to use 99-00 bumper only... ITS NOT GONNA WORK. YOU NEED ALL FRONT PARTS. I made the following pic just to let those guys see the fitment difference with a 96-98 fender and a 99-00 frontbumper. Picture says it all!!!!!

Well, lets start the frontconversion when you have all parts as listed above.

1. Unbolt the 96-98 parts in following order: frontbumper & grille --> headlights --> fenders --> hood
2. Bolt on the 99-00 parts: hood --> fenders --> headlights
3. the grille is mounted on your bumper and you have to use the upper holes on your grille to

hold up your bumper and grille (in my case)

the frontbumper is the only fitment issue

see these pics

you have to cut/dremel a small piece of the bumper

then you can slip the bumper right in its place

unfortunately the holes are differents so you cant bolt these up! As i described above you

have to use your grille which is mounted on your bumper and use the upper holes on your

grille to hold up your bumper and grille (in my case)

Thats pretty much it.
It took me 5,5 hours to do on the street hahahhaha thanks to some friends who helped me out!!!! As a first timer, i think 5,5 hours is ok, but if i do it once more, it could be done in only 1,5 hours i think!
This is the endresult

Hope you can use this information to do your own conversion.

Greets,
Jordan

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, I know it's not needed but I've never seen ont line up right without it.

I want to keep my '98 front though.

Anyway, you should have make that a new thread. ;) This thread is for listing differences between the two ends of the generation, not how to convert one to the other.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jordanek4 said:
my mistake.. i will make a new topic :cool:
I reported it so the mods can move it to make a new thread so there won't be a double post. =)

corbsc-westcvc

5+ Year Member
heres a thought.... can u do a 96-98 front end conversion on a 99-00 civic. this for all those that love the 96-98 fronts like me. and would all u need is the hood, fenders, bumper, grill and headlights?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
corbsc-westcvc said:
heres a thought.... can u do a 96-98 front end conversion on a 99-00 civic. this for all those that love the 96-98 fronts like me. and would all u need is the hood, fenders, bumper, grill and headlights?
Of course. I'd still recommend a replacement core support though if you want it to look like it's supposed to be there.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
96-98 stock from end ftw.

Hmm... this makes me want to get a wrecked '99-'00 and do a '96-'98 front end conversion. Seriously... in this area, if I had an Si, I'd do it.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
NOFX said:
schutzracing said:
i didnt see this in here it might have been.. but the rear panels (on each side of the seat) is different..
Rear panels? Which body style(s)?

Sedans have cushions on either side of it's rear seat, a sort of extension of the seat. Hatches and coupes have plastic panels that make up the sides of the car's interior.

Also, explain how they're different please.
???

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
iCivic said:
I agree, those '99-'00 front ends aren't as great as they're hyped up to be. Especially conversions.

But you want to know what's silly? Misquoting people on purpose.
:thumbs up

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
iCivic said:
lol cry baby j/p, deep down i know you love the 99-00 conversion :lol:
Nope. I loathe the conversion. Buying a car with that front end (because it's a '99-'00) is just fine. But the conversions end up looking bad too much of the time imo anyway. Not to mention you're trying that hard to make it look just like another stock USDM Civic. If I were to swap my front end my mom wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. At least she can tell, "Oh, your wheels are a different color". :lol:

corbsc-westcvc

5+ Year Member
hell im prolly going to get a em1 in the next few months and i have a 97 now. all id want different is some 96-98 Sir headlights and oem fogs. ill aquire those and then see how it would look on an em1 fitment wise. hell yea im doing it for sure 1st person

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
For those of you with specific questions, you will get more and better results if you MAKE A NEW THREAD.

It would really increase you odds of getting helped.
corbsc-westcvc said:
hell im prolly going to get a em1 in the next few months and i have a 97 now. all id want different is some 96-98 Sir headlights and oem fogs. ill aquire those and then see how it would look on an em1 fitment wise. hell yea im doing it for sure 1st person
Do you mean '99-'00 SiR headlights and OEM foglights? No, you won't be the first. Or do you mean '96-'98 SiR headlights (with front end conversion) and OEM fogs? If that's what you mean, I know a guy who did an SiR front end conversion, and the SiR rear bumper onto a '99-'00 coupe.

His car went from this:

To this:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Please take note that both burgundy cars posted in the first post are European cars. So the '96-'98 headlights aren't the same as the USDM ones, and the '99-'00 grill is not the same as a USDM grill.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
96-98 stock from end ftw.

Hmm... this makes me want to get a wrecked '99-'00 and do a '96-'98 front end conversion. Seriously... in this area, if I had an Si, I'd do it.
That would be kind of sweet actually, 99-00 si with a 96-98 front on it. It would certainly decrease the chances of it being stolen since people would just think it was an ex or dx or whatever. And it would still have the b16 engine/tranny so you could still make the world spin off it's axis and wrinkle the pavement and stuff...