Ever missed a shift?

aemkitfox

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So, im sure any of you who have recently learned to drive a 5spd have missed a shift before. This would have to be the first time that i've done something this severe. Dont know how fast i was goin, but from VTEC in 3rd i, via my edelbrock short shifter, found 2nd instead of fourth. That said, i pegged my tach. Loudest noise ive heard in my car, i dont think i hurt anything but i think if i had done this on a different car or non high revving engine something woulda broken.

Anyone think i should do any maintainance after something like that?
I mean, im just kinda worried that my swapped b16 didnt like 9700rpms.

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeash! got my stock B16 up to 9k before... but that was it...

how's the motor feeling now?

jdmcivicsilver

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it should be fine it's a tough motor it can handle a lot. keep up the regular maintainance thats it.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
should be fine bro.....though your tranny may be hating you....

I think we've all missed shifts before...s'all good.

aemkitfox

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well it still idles perfect and shows no signs of anything at all. I guess i just worry about it from time to time cuz at 7500+ it sounds painful to the engine. I always go easy on my engine cuz im afraid too many 8000rpm sightings is gonna eventually break something. Maybe i need to get over my fears and learn to drive it hard like i know so many other people already do.

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive lost count the number of times ive missed a shift. but ie only got a D16z6 so ive never shot that high. The highest ive ever hit was 8,000rpm's and that was when i was racing.

hkt03

shootin' sparks on i290..
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ouch.. i only did it once driving my friends ride. from second back down to first when i meant to shift to third. his trans was f*cked before and was hard getting it in and out of gears..

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it happens..dun worry about it...but dun make it a habit though...

Brodieman

Mmm mmm good
5+ Year Member
sure the engine will be fine...its just everything else around it that probably cant handle the massive rpm's

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah I've done it, had a 10K rev limiter and she hit that thing hard! I'm getting a new B16 right now so I dont really care but I am worried about the tranny. I usually shift at 7600 since thats where peak HP is, no point in going higher... Everyone does it, and if you havent you probably will unless you stop driving a stick now

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
me missed el shift this morning racing a lancer...only reved to 7 k, but still sucked

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
owned by a lack of a rev limiter :thumbs up

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't have trouble with missing a gear, my biggest problem is getting my stick kicked back cause I don't push it all the way up (usually 3rd for some reason) and get that ear curdling grind. I can think of is all those new metal shavings in my tranny now, and nice smooth teeth. the way i drive, I'll probably need a new tranny in 20,000 miles. lol

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
haha, dude, i did that one the highway once... i down shifted to third to pass this dude and as i went to go put it into 4th, i completely missed 4th, put it in 2nd and i dont think i've ever pressed on the clutch pedal so fast when i realized what i had did.....horrible sounds, everythings good tho so im thankful for that.

giza556

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
seeing redline isn't going to hurt ur car, thats why its there. if it wasn't safe, they would lower it.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
who told you 9680 is redline?

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
peak power is 7800 rpms, i did it once when i first got it, tried to go into 4th but went into 2nd at about 72, so it bounced off the rev limiter a few times then i put the clutch in really fast, o well....bouncing off the rev limiter is horrible for the tranny though, its basically sending intermediate shocks of peak power into your transmission, then stopping, then doing it again....not good. the only other time i missed a shift was when i was showing this kid my new car, but it didnt bounce off anything i i just let the clutch out too fast before it was in...

no worries, baby still runs :lol:

aemkitfox

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
giza556 said:
seeing redline isn't going to hurt ur car, thats why its there. if it wasn't safe, they would lower it.
my redline is 8200rpms i know this, but physics tells my engine that if my wheels are goin this fast and i put in in too low a gear its gona suck, my problem was i went over my revlimit by 1500rpms

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
never missed a shift in my civic, but once i neutral bombed my auto 88 prelude from around 9,000 rpm, nothing broke

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your car will be fine i did that when i was learning still and my trans is still pretty good.