exhaust work

cuetip

Registered VIP
i have the cat thats part of the headers, and i was wondering if i was to take that off and relocated to the bottom of the car with a diff cat, will it technically still be the same as it was before i took off the other cat...would it sound different, will i pass emissions

codeman76

It is possible to do but you would have to run a d16y8 cat and catbact exhaust or custom exhaust. And extend your o2 sensor wires.

codeman76

The d16y7 exhaust manifold is very restrictive. Upgrading the exhaust system from the header back is a good idea imo. Another nice upgrade for the d16y7 is to swap the d16y8 intake manifold on there and run a ex cold air intake.

cuetip

Registered VIP
i was going to run my aftermarket headers, and where they end buy a cat, not a high flow cat and add it there and bolt it up to the rest of the exhaust

emerican

Registered VIP
What your talking about doing is an ex exhaust swap. Using either the oem cat from an ex or an aftermarket one thats direct bolt in pretty much the same thing. I dont believe it will bolt directly to the rest of the y7 exhaust without some work though.

cuetip

Registered VIP
ok i figured as much, i just want to add my headers, and if i move which will be to phoenix, i want to be able to pass smog there... so i have to get an ex cat??

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used a direct fit magnaflow cat on my coupe when I upgraded. Worked fine and passed inspections easily

codeman76

Magnaflow also makes a direct fit cat. the first one is a universal cat that will need to be taken to a muffler shop and welded in. I'm running a direct fit magnaflow cat on my civic and i have no complaints.

cuetip

Registered VIP
ok sweet thanks child will have to buy one then, and i can see they are affordable

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Codeman76 is saying that magnaflow sells both a regular cat, and a direct fit cat that won't need modification. Only your exhaust will need to be changed.

cuetip

Registered VIP
sweet, will do... i will look for one once i am ready for the headers to be put on

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's just 1 header.

cuetip

Registered VIP
i have 2.25 all the way through the car

to an obx 3 inch inlet, and 4 inch tip