Gas Mileage + power?

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
Hey i have a 2000 Ex with the d16y8. I have searched and haven't found my answers... I am looking for a little more power. my goal is 200 horse power at the wheels and as much torque as possible. I am NOT going to boost so don't mention in please.. my question is what swap (or other things) will get me that much power (or close) and still get decent gas mileage? If you do not have anything useful to say please don't bother posting. thanks.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a built ls/vtec will make 200, but, your talking about a lot of money. You can make 200 on your y8 for fairly cheap if you turbo it ;)

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
alright... okay maybe i'm shooting a little high. i just want more than my stock 127hp = about 103 at the wheels.. I just want more power and keep my gas mileage. I would like to keep in normally aspirated.

WillyBigNut

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alright... okay maybe i'm shooting a little high. i just want more than my stock 127hp = about 103 at the wheels.. I just want more power and keep my gas mileage. I would like to keep in normally aspirated.
well you can swap in any stock b series vtec motor and make a bit more power while not sacrificing to many mpg's, but a bone stock B swap won't get any where near 200 whp unfortunately. I know you said you're not interested in boost, but i make over 200 whp on my stock y8 while still getting 29-32 mpg. I dunno what your budget is, but perhaps an ITR swap or k20 swap would best fit your needs.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's usually one or the other. Keep in mind that the more power you make the more air and fuel your gonna need to feed the beast.

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
well i might have over 5k to drop into my civic if this thing goes through but if not i have under 3 thousand. yes i mean naturally aspirated... Does anyone have info on the differences of the b series? I know it is probably my best bet to go with a B.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just get a GSR swap, you'll still get around 30mpg and it will rip when you need it to...

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
ITR would be the B18c5 right? but that is quite a bit more expensive right? and i hear that parts are harder to get. But i'm kind of leaning towards the gsr... but that is the b18c1 right? and with a stock gsr i'll be about 130-150 whp?

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
I hear both good and bad about the b20. what would i get horsepower and torque with a b20? and what are the pros and cons of the b20 vs gsr?

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ITR would be the B18c5 right? but that is quite a bit more expensive right? and i hear that parts are harder to get. But i'm kind of leaning towards the gsr... but that is the b18c1 right? and with a stock gsr i'll be about 130-150 whp?
USDM is B18c5 it's a little more expensive for a good mileage swap your looking 2500-3000$ I'm not sure of the differences between the c5 and c1. And if I'm not mistanken the stock hp is roughly 190 hp

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
B18C1
* VTEC
* Found in:
o 1994-2001 USDM Integra GS-R (DC2/DB8)
+ Displacement: 1,797 cc (109.7 cu in)
+ Compression: 10.0:1
+ Bore: 81 mm (3.189 in)
+ Stroke: 87.2 mm (3.433 in)
+ Rod Length: 137.9 mm (5.429 in)
+ Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.58
+ Power: 170 hp (125 kW) @ 7600 rpm
+ Torque: 128 ft·lbf (175 N·m) @ 6200 rpm
+ Redline: 8100 rpm (Fuel cut-off @ 8200 rpm)
+ VTEC Engagement @ 4400 rpm
+ Transmission: Y80(No LSD) 5-Speed Manual Transaxle

B18C5
* VTEC
* Found in: USDM DC2 Acura Integra Type-R (Integra Type-R)
o 1997-2001 Integra Type-R (**Note: This model was not produced for the 1999 production year)
* Displacement: 1,797 cc (109.7 cu in)
* Compression: 10.6:1
* Bore: 81 mm (3.189 in)
* Stroke: 87.2 mm (3.433 in)
* Rod Length: 137.9 mm (5.429 in)
* Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.58
* Power: 195 hp (145 kW) @ 8000 rpm & 130 ft·lbf (180 N·m) @ 7300 rpm
* Redline: 8400 rpm (Fuel cut-off @ 8500 rpm)
* VTEC Engagement @ 6000 rpm
* Transmission: S80 w/LSD

autocrosser09

5+ Year Member
Is this telling me that the c1 will give me more low end power because vtec comes in at 4400, but the c5 will get me more high end?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey i have a 2000 Ex with the d16y8. I have searched and haven't found my answers... I am looking for a little more power. my goal is 200 horse power at the wheels and as much torque as possible. I am NOT going to boost so don't mention in please.. my question is what swap (or other things) will get me that much power (or close) and still get decent gas mileage? If you do not have anything useful to say please don't bother posting. thanks.
alright... well first thing' first. More power will always require more fuel.

i believe d16y8 has about 130hp, and your goal is 200 without boost. Your going to have to rebuild the motor it internally, tune your ignition system, intake/exhaust system, and you'll also have to do some tuning to the fuel system so that everything works harmonically. you will also benefit from ecu tuning.