good books?

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you read any of the others? I have read them all, but also a fan of Enders Shadow.
Yeah, I've read them all. Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors, so I have most of his novels. The Ender series is by far my favorite though.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Please don't tell me that you read romance novels. :lol:
i read a few romance novels. they're paranormal romance though. paranormal is all i read, and i don't like straight romance. my favorite author doesn't fit into a genre... maybe "urban paranormal".... 'cuz it's mystery/paranormal/romance all thrown into one with crazy amounts of violence. :what:

sex, vampires, and violence are ftmfw. :lol: but hey, i read harry potter, too.

Liz

c=}:::::::>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, I've read them all. Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors, so I have most of his novels. The Ender series is by far my favorite though.
Yeah same here...

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
the movie is coming out but its based on the book by Jean-Dominique Bauby and his remarkable story. He had a stroke and was left with locked-in syndrome, completely paralysed from the head down and the only means of communication being blinking his left eye. he wrote the book 1 letter at a time with a proctor

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Me talk pretty one day
by David Sedaris

awesome book

Rawkout

5+ Year Member
trust me read Catch 22 by joeseph heller, its a great satire, its hilarious too, actually amde me laugh out loud a few times ;)

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
pssst.. maybe you should read harry potter. :lol:

i'm about to reread order of the phoenix, since i'm completely pissed at the movie. :angryfire

hop-1

5+ Year Member
The Driver - Alex Roy
kinda cheesy but entertaining
i just finished 1984 and Animal Farm by Orwell both awesome

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The Driver - Alex Roy
kinda cheesy but entertaining
i just finished 1984 and Animal Farm by Orwell both awesome
Edmond huh. you go to uco? I really couldn't get into 1984. It lulled me to sleep every time I read it. The whole word destruction and censorship didn't really surprise me or enchorage me to read. In saying that A lot of people I tell that too think I am crazy. Oh yeah a must read is Cather in the Rye by Sallinger. It is my favorite book. Holden caufield is a wonderful piss ant.

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's a lot harder to identify with Holden now that you're older and not in sixth grade anymore. So the books ranking went down in serious rank, it's just not that quality of a read imo.

The last two books I loved were 'The Dirt' the Motley Crue bio.... and A Million Little Pieces by James Frey (actually a decent book, I was expecting some bullshit 'O' story, but it was really gritty and told it like it is... kinda :lol:)

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Favorite books(fiction anyway):

The Hobbit (IMO much better than the trilogy) - Tolkein
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I wana get Snow Crash, heard it's like landmark sci fi or w/e

Oh another favorite of mine is The Art of War - Sun Tzu

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's a lot harder to identify with Holden now that you're older and not in sixth grade anymore. So the books ranking went down in serious rank, it's just not that quality of a read imo.

The last two books I loved were 'The Dirt' the Motley Crue bio.... and A Million Little Pieces by James Frey (actually a decent book, I was expecting some bullshit 'O' story, but it was really gritty and told it like it is... kinda :lol:)
Not really. It is easy to identify with Holden. You have to see it from where he is coming from. He is confused and has no idea what path he should take with his life. I think that describes a majority of people in their college years. I personally don't try to identify myself with the characters in novels too much. I like to hear their stories not a replica of one of mine. To me a reading a good book isn't reading a book where I can say you know what I know what this guy is experiencing. Or hey you know what this guy reminds me of myself. I think the best books are the books where the characters have their own lives. Lives that are different from mine. That is just me though. . . Two really good authors I like are Allen Ginsburg (check out howl, it's amazing) and Graham Greene (the destructers is a great short story)

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not really. It is easy to identify with Holden. You have to see it from where he is coming from. He is confused and has no idea what path he should take with his life. I think that describes a majority of people in their college years. I personally don't try to identify myself with the characters in novels too much. I like to hear their stories not a replica of one of mine. To me a reading a good book isn't reading a book where I can say you know what I know what this guy is experiencing. Or hey you know what this guy reminds me of myself. I think the best books are the books where the characters have their own lives. Lives that are different from mine. That is just me though. . . Two really good authors I like are Allen Ginsburg (check out howl, it's amazing) and Graham Greene (the destructers is a great short story)
Well of course, but you still take lessons from their experiences. 99.9% of the time books have underlying principles which should be taken to heart... if they affect your everyday life or not.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Favorite books(fiction anyway):

The Hobbit (IMO much better than the trilogy) - Tolkein
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I wana get Snow Crash, heard it's like landmark sci fi or w/e

Oh another favorite of mine is The Art of War - Sun Tzu
the hobbit is ftmfw. i couldn't even get into fellowship. like we needed 50 freaking pages of stupid hobbit banter.

i'm a little shocked to see that a lot of you like... i dunno... high school required reading type stuff. :lol: i'll take my wonderful world of fantasy, thaaaaaaank you. :thumbs up

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your into Fiction- murder/mystery/crime check out the "prey" series by John Sanford. 13+ books in the series about a detective working cases with some really dark, violent killers....very interesting. I read one and I was hooked.

97civicracer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The Raw Shark Texts - Mark Hall
Absurdistan - Gary Stehngyart(spelling?)
Anything Alex Cross novels by James Patterson
Kite Runner
Dope - Sara Gran
ANYTHING by Chuck Palahniuk
i'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member