10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
JESUS CHRIST!!!! this s**t again!!!??? wtf is going on:smackself

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just take off your hood...problem solved :roll:

it's the most useless ugliest trend ever.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
unless you dont have your underhood fuse cover on or ghetto wires, you should be fine..

delano777

5+ Year Member
actually the secret to cooling the engine is this, and it actually works

Seal off the openings around the radiator. This way air is FORCED into the fins, and has no way around it. Probably the best cooling mod out there bar none.

you want the engine oil to be around 260*f or so so it can burn off some of the inconsistancies that will affect the lubrication of the oil. You want the parts to be hot enough to fill all the tolerances, for efficient movement, and least energy loss.

The only things you want to keep cool are the intake/IM, and radiator/coolant. Focus on cooling those things and call it a day. Unless you track/boosted/high compression, then you probably want to cool the oil, to maintain it at a specific level, probably right before thermal breakdown.

So it seems like not to many people feel the hood prop is fuctional or looks good.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there is someone who did a test - I think it was on honda tech and it showed that the hood prop actually screwed your performance aspects and air flow up more than it helped ... so just leave it closed please

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it cooled my engine bay down by 12-14 degrees. this is on a turbo'd car. it worked for me. dont knock it till you try it

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is someone who did a test - I think it was on honda tech and it showed that the hood prop actually screwed your performance aspects and air flow up more than it helped ... so just leave it closed please
How does it screw up your performance aspects and air flow?

so basically what you're saying is cars that have ram air hoods, cowl hoods etc..... are f**ked up performance wise :???:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
a few local shops in my area actually recommend vented hoods or hood props for aftermarket turbo applications. you may lose that wonderful "low pressure zone" that kadafi had a heart attack over, but the added wind turbulance drives heat out of the engine bay

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How does it screw up your performance aspects and air flow?

so basically what you're saying is cars that have ram air hoods, cowl hoods etc..... are f**ked up performance wise :???:
hey - Im not the one that did the test - Ill try to find the article - it was a shop that ran the car with the hood normal and then let it cool down and ran the car with the hood spaced ... they didnt show any improvement with temperatures at all ...

dwack91

5+ Year Member
why dont you take the rubber strip off by the wind shield then you dont have to tilt anything and it will still look clean

ikillradio

My CF hood doesn't sit right on one side, so I may try it just to even it out.
When i changed my hood I had to remove the cowl to get to the four bolts did anyone else?

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a few local shops in my area actually recommend vented hoods or hood props for aftermarket turbo applications. you may lose that wonderful "low pressure zone" that kadafi had a heart attack over, but the added wind turbulance drives heat out of the engine bay

drives it into the engine bay. Spray your hood with water, and then drive. watch all the water droplets suck into the bay instead of going onto your windshield. 100+mph its like a vacuum, all that water will end up on your rear engine mount or worse, your battery.

That just proves that air is being sucked into the cowl.

And biznatch, arent the ones with the cowl induction going for the positive pressure in the bay? hondas are negative pressure.

James_spec

5+ Year Member
hey buddy, please dont spread mis-information. This is another false statement that needs to stop. Doing this doesnt affect the temp guage one bit. When its 97*f outside with full humidity, the temp gauge is at the same level when its -5*f outside. You cant tell me propping a hood means its technically going to be cooler than that -5*f inside the enginebay?

why didnt the honda engineers design their own JDM hood tilt? im sure its not going to cost them extra to design something like this. Its because its not efficient.

Only some swaps like h22, or ITB's would justify this.
:word: don't fix wat is not broken!!!!

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The cowl induction is taking advantage of the high pressure area at the base of the windshield when the vehicle is moving. It's to let cool air into the carburetor. Not to let hot air out of the engine compartment.
http://www.chevelles.com/feature/november_engine.jpg
see how the hood seals to the open area of the air cleaner?
The other intake for the air cleaner on the right is sealed off by a thermo-reactive spring when the engine reaches operating temperature.
It's not to let heat out.

On a Civic? Lifting the back of the hood is pointless. Almost every Honda I've ever seen has the air filter at the other end of the engine compartment. The best it can do is nothing. The worst is that it screws up your aerodynamics.

The area at the base of the windshield is under pressure. Roll up the windows in your Civic, switch the A/C fan completely off, switch from RECIRC to outside air, and drive 60 mph. You'll feel air coming through the dash vents. That air is hitting the windshield and being diverted back under the hood and into the cowl. That's why there is a rubber seal between the engine compartment and the cowl.

If you do this mod and you have any exhaust leaks under hood, you'll probably asphixiate in bumper to bumper traffic.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Besides, it makes your car look like a 2nd gen Prelude with a busted hood latch. (hood opens rear to front)