how do i make my taillights look like these

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:wak:VHT is one of the worst products out there.
Well, it goes along with the idea of tinting tail lights...
I've never used it, but saw a lot of DIY's and forum posts about ppl using it, I did something that nobody does anymore.............searched!:lol:

Trekk

Registered VIP
Clear coat is the best option to get the looking factory. Yes clear coat is clear, that's why you put a drop or two of black in it. VHT can work great but most people don't have the skills to pull it off .

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
VHT worked great for me on my truck. Enough to darken them but you can still see the red/yellow/clear through it so it's not completely black.

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
If you have to ask, sell your car.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you are confident in your abilities with a spray can, just get the dupli color tail light tint spray, and do proper prep and aplication untill you get the shade you want, and i would recomend useing multipul thin coats and once your done, either gently wet sand it or if your know how to use an orbital, you can buff it will polish compound on a low speed

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would recommend using multiple thin coats
This is how everyone should approach painting, to avoid runs and drips, and to get a nice even application.
If it is not dark enough, you can always add more, it's much harder to remove once you've done it.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is how everyone should approach painting, to avoid runs and drips, and to get a nice even application.
If it is not dark enough, you can always add more, it's much harder to remove once you've done it.

true story. i dont do much painting just because theres so much prep involved, to do it correctly, like a buddy of mine that does body work says, "anything you paint, its 85% prep 5% equitment and 10% technique", cause i know that people that are good can make rattle can look BALLIN like youd have thought it came out of a booth.

tony9156

$10 on ebay, just search tail light smoke vinyl, you'll get a bunch of results just pick how dark you want it. It's what I used on my car and the best thing is if you don't like it you can just peel it off. Don't pay someone to do it either, it's really easy. You apply it just like window tint. And you don't have to take the tail lights off to apply it. There are plenty of how to videos on Youtube. Don't use the spray stuff or buy new tail lights trust me. Here's a pic of my tail lights, I went with the dark

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
I painted mine this weekend. 3 thin coats of vht niteshade. 4 coats of duplicolir clear. Prep work was easy

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

ferret15

sunglare! I only wish i had that problem. It looks like you taped off for the reverse lights? Looks like it turned out just fine. I am thinking about doing this or the JDM style. I haven't decided yet, but i have a white civic and the Black on white looked good on my last car so i was leaning for that again.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Sun glare in massachusetts this time a year ain't right lol.

Yes I taped off the reverse lights. I like to see where I'm going when in reverse

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't mind the light tint like in the first post, a lot of Volkswagens have lights like that and it looks cool. Blacked out tail lights look terrible to me though, especially if the car isn't black. I would try the film, at least that way it's removable.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't mind the light tint like in the first post.
Blacked out tail lights look terrible to me though, especially if the car isn't black.
Agree 100%.
Blacking out the tails on a car, especially one that is not black can draw (unwanted) attention to the car too.

ferret15

Everything done to the exterior of any automobile draws attention

better word would be focus. You don't want something to draw focus to just one part. I personally don't think tail light draw focus unless they are the only thing that is black. Depending on the car you may draw focus with red taillights more than black.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
better word would be focus. You don't want something to draw focus to just one part. I personally don't think tail light draw focus unless they are the only thing that is black. Depending on the car you may draw focus with red taillights more than black.
That I do agree. I have the black housing headlights. Black corner lamps. Black rims. Ask the other s**t that came black stock. I plan on tinting my windows. Its all gonna flow nicely when I'm done