i'm stumped.....any clues?

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ron you have all the answers!
yes i checked for spark, and then got the firing order right on the dizzy. all plugs sparked. and i did take the dizzy cap off, but what should i see in terms of problems with the rotor? i've not done much work on distributors yet, so im unsure of diagnostics for them.

to check the mech. timing, i'd have to take the timing belt cover off and check it....but what should i see if it's skipping a tooth? and if it is, i'd have to tighten it, being the belt tensioner right?

and i know your all about the troubleshooting, which is fine. i should do that more often. :D using more resources other than guessing.

how should i check compression?

RonJ

Banned
yes i checked for spark, and then got the firing order right on the dizzy. all plugs sparked.

Bright white spark at all four plugs is a good start.

and i did take the dizzy cap off, but what should i see in terms of problems with the rotor? i've not done much work on distributors yet, so im unsure of diagnostics for them.

Inside the cap and on the side of the rotor, you will see the important contact points. If they are worn or corroded, this could cause misfiring. In general, the inside of the distributor should be clean, dry, red-dust free, and no components should be cracked or burned.

to check the mech. timing, i'd have to take the timing belt cover off and check it....but what should i see if it's skipping a tooth? and if it is, i'd have to tighten it, being the belt tensioner right?

Not sure exactly what the D15b timing marks look like, but the diagram below should help you figure it out:

how should i check compression?

Click the compression link in my signature.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok ron, i waited to see the cel again, and i blinked 3 long times and 8 short times, after the intial 14 times. it's not on your list. i'm not sure what it is.

i did have bright white spark, bluish after glow kinda thing. very nice =)

rotor was clean, rust free, corrosion free....

do you have a better diagram? or step by step that could show me more details?

and i'm checking the compression.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and unfortunatley i dont have $40 for a compression tester, or even $40 to borrow it from autozone.

RonJ

Banned
ok ron, i waited to see the cel again, and i blinked 3 long times and 8 short times, after the intial 14 times. it's not on your list. i'm not sure what it is.
Nice job trying to pull the CEL codes again. You are making good progress toward diagnosing the problem. The two additional codes may be the key to solving the problem. Maybe you have codes 3 and 8? Is there any chance that you can post a video of the blinking CEL so that we can help you read the codes? Might a friend have a video camera or phone with video capability that you can borrow?

What ECU do you have? OBDI or OBDII? Code 14 should be 1 long blink followed by 4 short blinks.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'll tell you exactly how it went:
1. with everything hooked up i turned the key.
2. 1 long blink; 4 short blinks
3. 3 long blinks; 8 short blinks

all of this happend in sequential order. and i looked on the list that you pulled from the Hane's manual and there isn't a 38.

it could be a 3, MAP senor, and an 8, tdc sensor. hmm idk :D guess i'll have to check on it.

RonJ

Banned
i'll tell you exactly how it went:
1. with everything hooked up i turned the key.
2. 1 long blink; 4 short blinks
3. 3 long blinks; 8 short blinks

all of this happend in sequential order. and i looked on the list that you pulled from the Hane's manual and there isn't a 38.

it could be a 3, MAP senor, and an 8, tdc sensor. hmm idk :D guess i'll have to check on it.
You need to be absolutely sure about which codes are thrown so that you troubleshoot real problems. I highly recommend that you find a way to post a video of the blinking CEL or have a friend who knows how to read codes help you.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well ron if you have a cell number and can take the video w my phone and send it to you.

i have a p2j ecu for the JDM D15B 3-Stage Vtec version of the engine.

and the diagram jumps right to step 4. i'm not sure of where the adjusting bolt is, and other minor details, i have the basic overall purpose of this, but.....mmmmm

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
does the SRS light coming on at intervals during the CEL code display divide them into individual codes? and is there a video hostng website other than youtube? lol

RonJ

Banned
well ron if you have a cell number and can take the video w my phone and send it to you.

Sorry, believe it or not, I don't have a cell phone. My wife and kids do, but I don't..

i have a p2j ecu for the JDM D15B 3-Stage Vtec version of the engine.

That's OBDII, right? If so, take your car to an auto parts store. Most will pull OBDII codes with a scan tool free of charge. Post the OBDII codes.

and the diagram jumps right to step 4. i'm not sure of where the adjusting bolt is, and other minor details, i have the basic overall purpose of this, but.....mmmmm

Sorry about that. In the diagrams, the illustrations not the text is most relevant to checking the mechanical timing.

-Remove the valve cover and upper timing cover.
-Put the transmission in neutral
-Use a 17-mm socket and breaker bar to turn the crank pulley until the cam pulley is perfectly positioned at TDC1.
-Then check whether the crank pulley is also at TDC1.

RonJ

Banned
does the SRS light coming on at intervals during the CEL code display divide them into individual codes? and is there a video hostng website other than youtube? lol
Not sure. Does PhotoBucket also allow video uploads?

When you jump the service connector, the CEL light will blink engine and transmission sensor codes and the SRS light will blink air bag system codes.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, i'm trying to link my cell phone and my email, like i have dozens of times before. and wow, no cell phone, thats rough, but i imagine your suriving just fine without one. :D

the d15b is originally a 92-95 gen engine. so i'm not sure if it's obd-II or I. how can i tell the difference?

these details are FANTASTIC!!!! now i can do this right now and tell you.

and the srs lights are from partially from the guy who owned this car before carving up the electrical interior harness.

RonJ

Banned
and wow, no cell phone, thats rough, but i imagine your suriving just fine without one. :D

Not having a cell phone prevents people from calling me! That can be a good thing.

the d15b is originally a 92-95 gen engine. so i'm not sure if it's obd-II or I. how can i tell the difference?

I did a quick Google search and found a thread saying it was OBDII. You can verify.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so i've gotten all the way up to the crank pulleys TDC....what does that look like on the pulley? also i can press on the timing belt and it gives, its not taught very much.

the camshaft pulley is at total dead center, with the UP word directly vertical.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok OBDII ftw, but i cant move the car, lol. axle is in the process of working, also i mean the car doesnt run? do i just take the ecu over to autozone and they scan it? if so, that almost too easy. :D

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah photobucket as well as imageshack both host videos, but the issue is getting the video from my phone to the internet. lol

RonJ

Banned
ok so i've gotten all the way up to the crank pulleys TDC....what does that look like on the pulley? also i can press on the timing belt and it gives, its not taught very much.

the camshaft pulley is at total dead center, with the UP word directly vertical.
See left side of diagram in post #22. The crank pulley has 4 marks, a group of three (red middle mark) and one lone white mark. TDC1 is where the lone white mark aligns with the pointer (acts like sight on a gun) on the lower timing belt cover.

RonJ

Banned
ok OBDII ftw, but i cant move the car, lol. axle is in the process of working, also i mean the car doesnt run? do i just take the ecu over to autozone and they scan it? if so, that almost too easy. :D
Ask them whether they'll let you borrow an OBDII scan tool to pull your CEL codes at home. Otherwise, you need to post a video of the blinking CEL (OBDI method).