Input requested. *Please read*

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe new members should be on a "probation" when they first sign up. After the noobs post their thread, the threads should be approved by a mod to make sure that he has used the search feature instead of starting a new thread and asking the same questions as 100 other people.

Also i believe there should be a question when you first log in, a very basic question that would keep the spammers from getting on this site easier

Ill try and think of more later
A forum I'm on tried the probation period thing, and it didn't work well b/c like stated, the mods became way too overwhelmed. They switched to deleting their thread and PM'ing why stated w/ a link to forum rules and it's helped a lot.

Limiting what they can see or post to helped alot. They had to have 30 legit posts, and no whoring either, to be able to post in the for sale/wtb sections. OT posts did not count, similar to how the post count works here.

Agreed, different time zones would help a lot. Do we really have only 6 mods on this board, and most in east board time? Seems like there aren't any mods from the midwest, and is Jason the only mod in west board time?

Personally mods from across the states would be helpful IMO bc it seems like the west board is always doing trends first, then east, and midwest usually gets skipped, then we see it online and we're like, "oh hey let's do this too!"

emerican

Registered VIP
^ agreed it would be a ton of threads waiting to be approved since they cant always have a mod on all the time and we post s**t till 3 or 4 in the morning.
Speaking of rep system i love that john has a really good rep now lol.

emerican

Registered VIP
HAHA i toatlly expected that answer i thought everybdy understood that even if john helped you you sholudnt give him pos rep.

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Chatbox would still help IMO. Like I said, it'd get rid of worthless threads when you could get immidiate answers..

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Great point. Not even now, but this has been how some forums have been for a long time. I mean they'll have off topic open to the public but everything else is restricted to members.
but... for the record...

ive lobbyed for this in the past and nothing ever came of it...

and when i say restrict... i mean off topic also...

the only thing you should let them see is the forum rules and a sign up page.

make sure to say sign up is free and easy and youll gain access to the rest of the site as well.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i also think that as with the VIP having a time requirement... noobs should be restricted from having an avatar and a signature untill the reach some sort of a time and post deadline...

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also with the down activity, some of it has to be from it getting nice out. It's now Spring, not Winter. Temps are getting warmer, therfore people are going outside to do more with their cars, and not sitting on the computer because it's cold out.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would like to know why only some members you are able to give -/+ rep points to. I don't partake in any of this, but I notice some users have it, some don't. Majority that you ARE able to give to, are new. NO ONE previous 2008 I noticed you can give rep to.

I noticed this b/c apparently people have been going rep happy with me. Not that I care, just noticing things. Favoritism? User option?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You can only give rep in tech sections. I just went through a couple of threads with both 2008+ and - members and the rep button was on everyone.

emerican

Registered VIP
They changed it to where you can only add rep from help in tech sections unless a mod adds the rep. So unless the post your getting rep for is in tech or a mod does it i dont believe you can add rep any other way now not positive though.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They changed it to where you can only add rep from help in tech sections unless a mod adds the rep. So unless the post your getting rep for is in tech or a mod does it i dont believe you can add rep any other way now not positive though.
Mods can only give rep in Tech sections as well.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is there a better site layout JayJay or oc can switch to? This one seems too....bare... I mean especially for stickies and such, EVERY thread looks exactly the same unless you LOOK for the word "sticky" before it and look at the top, which most people these days aren't if you, for some reason, haven't noticed the amount of threads that cover the same topic.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is there a better site layout JayJay or oc can switch to? This one seems too....bare... I mean especially for stickies and such, EVERY thread looks exactly the same unless you LOOK for the word "sticky" before it and look at the top, which most people these days aren't if you, for some reason, haven't noticed the amount of threads that cover the same topic.
There are little push pins on the right of stickied threads.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You guys are all talking about restrictions. This is not a restricting matter it is about not having restrictions. More restrictions=less users. You want people to be attracted to this site not be able to join and not have the privilege to do half of the things that others can do.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have been told to stop talking in this thread. :(

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are photography contests still going? I want to do one again.