input shaft bearing question

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
n/p. that write up is awesome. this kid who did it is def the man. im def using that when i drop my tranny this weekend

SKATERANGELO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im scared of messing it up but i still gonna try !~

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha that makes 2 of us. ive been researching this crap for months tho so my confidence level has gone up since last year haha. and im just gonna read over that DIY a few times and all should be well.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
feel free to PM with any problems you might run into

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
vandynamics said:
excessive engine breaking will cause the ISB to go out faster. it takes about 80,000 miles though.

keyword: prematurley.
I do alot of engine breaking on my auto. Do you think their is a problem with auto's as well?? Because I will stop engine breaking if it is going to mess up my automatic.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Trbolvrcrx said:
I do alot of engine breaking on my auto. Do you think their is a problem with auto's as well?? Because I will stop engine breaking if it is going to mess up my automatic.
auto's really dont suffer bad ISB problems like manuals do.

you will be fine ;)

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Quick for you guys. I have an extra LS cable trans sitting around can i use this one to practice before i do mine, or is the cable different then the hydro?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
FRODO said:
Quick for you guys. I have an extra LS cable trans sitting around can i use this one to practice before i do mine, or is the cable different then the hydro?
thats a great idea, do it up.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
FRODO said:
Time to hit up the junk yard. I don't think their different on that side of the intermedate shaft. Although I am not sure on that at all. Because I have never owned a cable B series tranny before, Just my GSR hydro.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alright i dropped the tranny this weekend! im pretty much halfway through, making good progress. found out that one of the bearings on the countershaft is bad too so i gotta wait til that comes in to put everything back together. i have another question tho maybe you guys can help me out:
when i cracked the transmission housing from the clutch housing, and undid the snap ring/lifted up the trans housing, three balls fell down. i got them all out when i took the gears out, but i havent a clue as to where they came from. i believe they may have came from the top of the transmission housing. i checked all the bearings and no balls are missing so im extremely confused. anyone know where these 3 balls are from?
thanks guys

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jersey8 said:
alright i dropped the tranny this weekend! im pretty much halfway through, making good progress. found out that one of the bearings on the countershaft is bad too so i gotta wait til that comes in to put everything back together. i have another question tho maybe you guys can help me out:
when i cracked the transmission housing from the clutch housing, and undid the snap ring/lifted up the trans housing, three balls fell down. i got them all out when i took the gears out, but i havent a clue as to where they came from. i believe they may have came from the top of the transmission housing. i checked all the bearings and no balls are missing so im extremely confused. anyone know where these 3 balls are from?
thanks guys
haha welcome to 6th gen transmissions and steel shift fork assemblies! This isn't that big of a deal, really. There are three bolts (with washer and spring) on the outside of the transmission housing. Unbolt these and save them. When the transmission is fully reassembled, insert the ball bearings, springs, and secure these bolts down. These ball bearings along with the notches in the respective shift rods provide the "in gear" feeling you get when you move the shift lever into gear. They also help to keep it in gear by providing enough resistance.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
awesome man. couldnt have answered my question any better. thansk alot bro

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jersey8 said:
careful with those balls. you dont want to have to redo the WHOLE thing once you realized you left a steel ball out of the assembly.

those have a huge influence on the snappy feel of the tranny. (you are supposed to remove the 3 balls before you split the cases)

SKATERANGELO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Jersey8 said:
so hows everything ? did it work ?I think ill drop my tranny this weekend how much time did u take ?

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
everythings goin alright. im still in the process. saturday consisted of dropping the tranny and replacing the input shaft bearing, and installing my motor mount inserts. and i found out i needed to replace the countershaft top bearing. i hate delays! sunday consisted of putting the mainshaft, countershaft, and differential back in. when i was puttin the reverse idler gear selector back on i snapped one of the bolts so i had to tap it out. that took like 4 hrs alone haha. i was so mad tho i didnt even torque it down that much and i didnt even hear/feel it snap! but that problem is solved so w/e. monday my lightened flywheel came in so i put that on, and then hopefully my countershaft bearing comes in today so i can put the trans back in. it sucked that the countershaft bearing needed to be replaced because my budget almost couldnt allow it, and my trans would be back in right now :(

its not hard work really its just ALOT of work. so be prepared. and dont rush things. im getting frustrated now cuz i havent driven my car in over a week but i haveta just keep tellin myself to calm down haha.

SKATERANGELO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do u need special tools ,?do u use jack stands ?when u take out the tranny is itreally heavy or not ,how much did u spend on parts ,sorry 4 asking 2 much but im about 2 do this and im f**king scared .jajaj cause is my daily ride