Is upgrading to a 2000 Civic Si the best choice?

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going-West said:
quite a 4x4 dx you got going on there. looks like you took care of the paint well though. good luck with the sale
Not sure what the 4x4 comment means, but I guess I'll take it as a compliment. The car is in good shape overall. I can't say it's perfect... I meant it is a few years old after all, but for a car that's a few years old it's not bad at all. Hopefully I'll be able to sell it for a decent price.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just meant its kind of high off the ground...but the paint looks good and it looks to be in pretty good condition

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It just looks high off the ground because it's at the stock ride height. Put the original suspension back on it.

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i have a few comments and a few questions... lol...my parents bought me my 00 "EM1" begining of october (i was 15, now im barely 16) i got the car because i got really mad that i couldnt get an eclipse (gt 2001 black) so my parents felt my sympathy, since i was searching for an eclipse gt for almost a year.. so instead of buying me a SALVAGED black/black Eclipse GT (V6) for about 7600 i think.. they bought me the SI for 11500 the car had tint, a spoiler which i dont like at all (its not the stock spoiler, sum aftermarket one.. i think its called APACHE), short ram intake (which i just replaced with an AEM Short Ram, and it came with 2 10inch rockford fosgates and a 720 jensen amp.. still not hooked up ... LOL....the car is in great condition.. there are a couple of minor defects that i dont bug me at all... the car had 53k when i bought it... i was very happy to find out that the 0-60 times for the EM1 and GT were the same... (7.2) which is kinda odd to me since the GT has a 3.0l 205hp SOHC vs. 1.6l 160 DOHC... I AM VERY PLEASED WITH MY SI....

now to the questions:

Should i take my spoiler off? (email me if you want a pic {bosanskatrava@aol.com})?

DOHC vs. SOHC? tell me details if you know any... i always wanted to know what the great advantage of DOHC was.

Does Turbo mess up your engine? (my guess is YES)

i guess thats pretty much it for the questions......Good Luck Nickeleye with you Civic Si!!!

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my advice:

1. start your own thread about your spoiler, post a pic cause people are going to want to see it.

2-3. read read read. you'll learn a lot when u go through some informative threads.

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What are you other SI owners getting for gas mileage? I filled up yesterday and topped off with 9.96 gallons, but the problem is that my trip counter only was at 201.2 mpg! I think something is wrong somewhere, but I'm not sure what. I posted a thread about it, but I was hoping maybe some of you could give me some feedback too. I'm not driving the car that hard so I don't think that's the reason for the mileage. I typically am driving on the freeway so my RPM's are usually running between 3500 and 4000 in 5th gear. I'm going to check the timing and spark plug gaps and probably even the O2 sensors to see if there's anything strange going on. Any ideas?

Cky

Camp Kill Yourself
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i downgraded (year wise) i traded my 04 civic for a 00 Si, best choice ever made

Cky

Camp Kill Yourself
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i only get usually like 220-240 miles at the most total for gas on mine

BosanskaTrava

TYPE R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was filling up on gas every 4 days on my si when i first got it.... now i dont drive it as much (since its winter), but it should go down.. you just have to get the feel for the car... and dont rev it up to 8k that doesnt help you gas mileage.... but yea it should go down like i said... do you have any mods on the car? i recently found out that i had a speed chip in my car... im not sure if it helps or harms the gas mileage?

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i also get around 220-250 miles full tank...

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
11.9 gallons? hmm, mine only goes to about 10 gallons, must have a bunch of sludge on the bottom. I get 300 to 320 miles a tank though, is it because my car's basically stock?

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
See that's the thing... my car is essentially stock. It's just got a cold air intake on it right now. I'm going to be putting on my DC Sports 4-2-1 headers and Thermal R&D exhause, but those mods should do nothing more than help mpg.

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm, yeah you better check the plugs and wires. I have NGK blue wires and i noticed a slight increase in MPG...

Cky

Camp Kill Yourself
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if i stomp on it i can watch my gas gauge drop

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Checked the plugs, wires, distributor cap. Everything looks fine. I'd probably consider getting the NGK wires since they seem to be pretty nice. I'm also going to try adjusting how I drive the car. It's geared differently than my DX was so I think I just need to think about when I'm shifting a little more and what gear I'm in at what RPM's.

97_NightRider

I like cookies.
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would just keep the DX and swap in a B18C1, B18C5, or a B16/18 hybrid. If you trade in the DX you're just gonna be losing the money you put into it. Plus you'd be starting with a better engine than the B16A2 by doing a swap and you could still use most of the parts you've already bought for the DX, except the intake. Trust me, you'll love the extra torque from the B18's.

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nickeleye said:
Checked the plugs, wires, distributor cap. Everything looks fine. I'd probably consider getting the NGK wires since they seem to be pretty nice. I'm also going to try adjusting how I drive the car. It's geared differently than my DX was so I think I just need to think about when I'm shifting a little more and what gear I'm in at what RPM's.
yeah, i think the way you drive normally is a definite factor, because if my wife drives my car, she uses a lot more gas then I do on the same route.

Nickeleye

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, today I got the entire new exhaust system (well, the aftermarket exhaust system I was using on my DX) installed today. We'll see if that makes any difference at all. Probably just minor if it does.