***Knowledge Test***

RonJ

Banned
***Knowledge Test: The IACV***

The game and rules:
I got this idea from member EJ6Civic27, who recently created a fun thread that tested members' knowledge about Civic engines. I will do something similar here. The goal is both to have some fun and to learn something. If you don't know the answer to the tech question, please take a guess. The first person to post the correct answer is the winner. The winner is then encouraged to develop the next Civic tech question in some reasonably short period of time to keep the Knowledge Test game going. Let the game begin!
----------------------------

Background information:
The engines of earlier Civic models had a device called the fast idle thermovalve, often referred to as the FITV. The sole purpose of this valve is to bypass air from the throttle body into the intake manifold to increase the idle speed of a cold engine. The FITV is connected to two hoses that circulate coolant through the valve. This is done because cold coolant (=cold engine) opens the valve inside the FITV by contracting a wax plunger whereas, conversely, hot coolant (=hot engine) closes the valve by expanding the wax plunger.

The idle air control valve (IACV) is a second device used to control the engine idle speed through electronic signals sent from the ECU. Therefore, contrary to the FITV, the IACV does not have or need a wax thermovalve to control air bypass from the throttle body to the intake manifold.

Question:
Given that the IACV has no wax thermovalve, then why is the IACV, like the FITV, also connected to two hoses that circulate coolant through it?

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
21 views.............

maybe an incentive to the winner? Like their name on a wall of fame?

BTW like I said congrats on breaking your thread cherry :D I'm not ashamed to admit it's way over my technical knowledge, props to those who get it in advance.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If i had a vast knowledge of earlier civic engines i would be down like 4 flat tires. But, I'll be the 1st to admit, Im not too familiar with the thermovalve or FITV..

I never claimed to be ASE certified, just get info from friends experiences and my own..

RonJ

Banned
If i had a vast knowledge of earlier civic engines i would be down like 4 flat tires. But, I'll be the 1st to admit, Im not too familiar with the thermovalve or FITV..

I never claimed to be ASE certified, just get info from friends experiences and my own..
The question is about the IACV not the FITV. The FITV information was just background. Give it a shot.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my hypothesis:

The idle control valve controls the cars idle untill the thermostat opens up to allow the hotter coolant to flow.
When the hotter coolant finally reaches the IAVC, the idle returns to normal because it has reached normal operating tempurature. final answer

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my guess is its there to prevent the valve from freezing

RonJ

Banned
my hypothesis:

The idle control valve controls the cars idle untill the thermostat opens up to allow the hotter coolant to flow.

This statement is partially correct but fails to explain why coolant circulates through the IACV. In addition, the thermostat controls coolant flow through the radiator not the IACV.

When the hotter coolant finally reaches the IAVC, the idle returns to normal because it has reached normal operating tempurature. final answer

Hot coolant circulating through the IACV does not directly affect the ability of the IACV to control idle speed.
Thanks for playing, but your answer is incorrect.

RonJ

Banned
I propose that the winner is responsible for making the next Knowledge Test thread.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
figures, i dont live in cold climate but makes perfect sense! congrats shiznit

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wait a min........... I knew this and read the question wrong lol

I fail

RonJ

Banned
***Knowledge test: The cluster warning lights***

Here's another installment of Knowledge Test. The goal is both to have some fun and to learn something. If you don't know the answer to the tech question, please take a guess. The first person to post the correct answer is the winner. The winner is then encouraged to develop the next Civic tech question in some reasonably short period of time to keep the Knowledge Test game going.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background:
In the cluster, there are several warning lights that illuminate when problems are detected in important systems, such as oil pressure (oil can symbol), sensors (CEL symbol), alternator (battery symbol), air bags (SRS), and anti-lock brakes (ABS).

Question:
Why do these warning lights turn on when the key is turned to the ON(II) position, even when no problems are detected in these systems?

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To show that they are ready to function in case of a problem. In other words, it's a test to see that the bulbs have not burnt out.

RonJ

Banned
To show that they are ready to function in case of a problem. In other words, it's a test to see that the bulbs have not burnt out.
We immediately have our second winner!!! Congratulations and give yourself some pats on the back.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hoorayyy. So does that mean I get to create one?

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^With a S2K cluster, your the cluster king imo.

RonJ

Banned
Hoorayyy. So does that mean I get to create one?
Shiznit has wisely decided to merge all Knowledge Test threads into one, so we don't clutter up the tech section. Shiznit will post the next Knowledge Test into the new merged thread and, Evan., you will then post the following one. Thanks.