***Knowledge Test***

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Aright, so neither of you seem to be getting it... since nobody else is chipping in, do you want me to reveal the answer?

RonJ

Banned
Aright, so neither of you seem to be getting it... since nobody else is chipping in, do you want me to reveal the answer?
I say give them and others another chance before surrendering the answers.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
At least the only question this thread has gotten for a while is standing pretty well.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well my guess was already guessed, taking them out to insert a longer bolt to release the hubs, is the primary purpose to keep the threads in tact?

I changed my rotors last weekend, and my car didn't have those in em, we tried inserting a bolt but it was all rusted out and didn't grab, had there been those screws in it i'd be more intact....

that and maybe to help balance the rotor are my only guesses....

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
those screws... on disc brakes... will not help get the rotor off the hub.

on drum brakes... thee are the tapped holes... those holes help get the drum off the hub..

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
those screws... on disc brakes... will not help get the rotor off the hub.

on drum brakes... thee are the tapped holes... those holes help get the drum off the hub..
No you can do the same on disc brakes, my rotor was rust welded to the hub too over 20 hard sledge hammer hits to get it off.

I assume under the screws are tapped holes that you can use to avoid beating the s**t out of it w/a sledge.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No you can do the same on disc brakes, my rotor was rust welded to the hub too over 20 hard sledge hammer hits to get it off.

I assume under the screws are tapped holes that you can use to avoid beating the s**t out of it w/a sledge.
right... but the screws go into the hub... so... if you put longer bolts in... you will run into the spindle...and end up removing the hub fro the wheel bearing...

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dunno not on my car..... it doesn't continue into the hub....

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
we are talking about 2 different sets of holes then...

the holes that the screws come out of... are only there to hold the disc to the hub...

there is another set of holes... and yes... they are tapped into the disc.. but not the rotor..

im only refering to the one set of countersunk holes

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well my guess was already guessed, taking them out to insert a longer bolt to release the hubs, is the primary purpose to keep the threads in tact?

I changed my rotors last weekend, and my car didn't have those in em, we tried inserting a bolt but it was all rusted out and didn't grab, had there been those screws in it i'd be more intact....

my rotor was rust welded to the hub too over 20 hard sledge hammer hits to get it off.

This case is so rare, which is why most rotors do not have these holes. As I've said, this may be a secondary (and useful) purpose, but that's not why Honda put them there.

that and maybe to help balance the rotor are my only guesses....
Rotors come balanced from the factory.

Let me give a big hint. Excluding the possibility of a stuck rotor, leaving these screws out will have no negative impact on the owner of the vehicle, technician of the vehicle, or vehicle itself.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the screws are to save weight...

yea you can go ahead and give out the answer.. casue im f**king lost

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to bolt the car down during transport w/o the wheels on? LoL i have no clue anymore

RUXcited

Lead foot.
they are there so people like us can sit around and guess why someone thought it was a good idea to put a useless screw in a spot it would never benefit mankind.:lol::lol:

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to bolt the car down during transport w/o the wheels on? LoL i have no clue anymore
This is actually close enough to the answer that I'll go ahead and reveal it.

Those screws are assembly line screws, which are used to hold the rotor onto the hub while the car is being put together on the assembly line. Once the car is put all together, they hold no significant purpose. This is why drilling them out was not that bad of an answer. Other companies use different assembly line processes, which is why they don't have these screws in their rotors.

hooked_on4, you get to ask the next question!

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ahh I had a feeling it was something goofy like that, I don't feel i got it correct though but I'll try to think of something good.

Nothing comes to mind since I don't consider myself any level of tech expert, so let me marinate on this for a lil bit =)

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nothing comes to mind since I don't consider myself any level of tech expert, so let me marinate on this for a lil bit =)
Anything is better than nothing! Even if it's answered in just one post, it'll keep this thread going a bit longer.

I'm gonna try and thing of another, too.