matt96ex's Project: CX Hatchback

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
very nice build man i will definatly keep looking at this build..are you going to buy the SiR bumpers for it???
there is a 99-00 front on it, so no.

got my exhaust yesterday and put it on last night. its SO quiet! obviously didnt get to drive it cause its snowing but it will sound very nice under load i think. ill get some pics later.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this comin along nice. now for pics of exhaust! :D

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
friday night threw the plate off my green car on the hatch and drove it up the road to my buddys house with a lift. had to put some new covers on the fuel/brake lines i did. took for a test drive down the road after that.
can runs very well! pwjdm intake is loud!! car pulls hard and rips right through the gears. there is a small grind going into 3rd on high rpms, but i knew that when i had the tranny apart- synchros looked crappy.

still searching for wheels i want and gonna work on the car this week and tidy a few loose ends up. maybe some pics..

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good to hear its running well

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well heres an update for the few that still kinda follow this ;)
The friday i took the car up my buddys house, i took it down the road after working on it. After slamming it into second i heard a loud noise up front, and sounded like something fell out. Figured it was a rock or something hitting my fenders since i dont have fender liners yet. Well here's what fell out.

Didn't realize this was missing until the following day when i was working on it. I was like wtf! luckly it happened right up the road and i remember about where it happened. Drove up and it was sitting at the end of someones driveway. :shock: WIN!
So i figured i better get my lower torque mounts in.

Bought some pretty clean mounts from gabebauman on here. I installed those the following friday and holy crap its a tight tight fit in there. I have all 5 inserts for the factory mounts. The two lower torques and rear mount have the energy suspension inserts while the top driver and passenger sides have prothane. I had to drop the motor and tranny down and take the bolt out of the rear to level everything out. So with everything being down and so tight, raising it back up became an issue. Driver side was no problem, but the tranny side was tough. Jacking up the motor and tranny did nothign but start to raise the whole car! The motor doesn't move at all! Long story short, 2 of the 3 top tranny bracket studs started to spin. Me being a ruhtard forgot those two threads in the tranny were all fudged up. This past friday after work put a couple helicoils in it and works fine now. Once everything was fixed up took it for a quick drive.
Two more issues now. Sweet. I barely hammered on it. Got on it in first the one time and that was it. Came back and checked the inserts and that driver side top insert is trying to squeeze out again.

So not sure if i should just take those out or just buy some aftermarket mounts. And since adding the lower torques, everything vibrates like crazzzy. I think im going to get real tired of that, real quick. You can't even hear the exhaust just because all you hear is s**t rattling as the rpms go up. Lame sauce. The other issue is the highlights would kinda pulsate/ dim or brighten as rpms changed. This didn't happen the first time I had it out. My positive terminal clamp isn't clamped on all the way, I need a new one. So not sure if its that or maybe an issue with the alternator or something. Any ideas on this stuff guys?

Other than all that stuff- blasted and painted a few brackets in the engine bay flat black to kinda freshen it up, and finally got the headlight harness routed correctly. Still looking for wheels. So far I've talked to two guys with some wheels I was really interested in. Everyone is so lazy and unmotivated to sell. Its so frustrating. Trying to hold off buying brand new wheels but might have to. Might get some insurance and a plate on this and roll my si wheels until i find something I like. Tried to get some pics of the exhaust with my high quality camera phone. Hopefully you can kinda see it.

EJ6_COUPE

that light thing your talking bout might just be the alternator..happen to my buddys car bout a week ago lights just shut off on him and the car...and i would say get some aftermarket mounts...hasport innovative
keep up the updates man i still check this lol
and g/l with everything
also what wheels you planning on getting?

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that light thing your talking bout might just be the alternator..happen to my buddys car bout a week ago lights just shut off on him and the car...and i would say get some aftermarket mounts...hasport innovative
keep up the updates man i still check this lol
and g/l with everything
also what wheels you planning on getting?
i hope its not an alternator. i just got this one, its used but had low mileage. as for mounts im sure ill eventually pick up some innovative mounts. as for wheels, idk. i really want these gram lights but theyre discontinued and hard to find. 16x7 57 maximum. ive seen them a couple months ago and fell in love with them. if i dont find anything soon, might just buy some buddy club p1 in gunmetal.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice exhaust. i've got the same!

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
looks good matt. I have to put my torque mounts in asap too. I would definitely recommend some new mounts.. those older mounts are just the worst design, they even look like s**t too.

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks good matt. I have to put my torque mounts in asap too. I would definitely recommend some new mounts.. those older mounts are just the worst design, they even look like s**t too.
yea im not too confident with those inserts falling out. kinda disappointed with those. might take them out and run stockers for awhile before i drop like 250 on mounts.. :???:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn dude, I haen't checked this thread in a while and I'm hella impressed! Keep up the great work :thumbs up

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dude this is a crazy build, I just read all 17 pages. You have a TON of work into it, keep it up man!
haha thanks dude. i went through the whole thread a couple days ago, made me realize again how much i did.

damn dude, I haen't checked this thread in a while and I'm hella impressed! Keep up the great work :thumbs up
thanks petey. you have any problems with your inserts?

EJ6_COUPE

i hope its not an alternator. i just got this one, its used but had low mileage. as for mounts im sure ill eventually pick up some innovative mounts. as for wheels, idk. i really want these gram lights but theyre discontinued and hard to find. 16x7 57 maximum. ive seen them a couple months ago and fell in love with them. if i dont find anything soon, might just buy some buddy club p1 in gunmetal.
i like the gram lights but buddy clubs always caught my eyes
i had sum p1 replicas tho they looked good but i think you shul,d go with the gunmetals and get sum exteded lug nuts jst my opinion tho

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea both wheels would look great. i was real close to buying some brand new buddy clubs this past thursday until i found some 15x7 kosei k1's not far from me. been emailing the dude since then and we decided on today for me to go meet up with him and buy them. of course, this being the 3rd time the other party has dropped the ball on me. hasn't emailed me back since friday night, sent two emails yesterday, never got anything. im f$&%ing pissed. basicly kept all day today opened up in case he'd message back. i guess its destined for my to never have kosei k1's. couldn't get pictures from the first two people i talked to, now this a$$hole won't message back.
/rant

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
buy some on tirerack, they are pretty cheap. I'm looking at getting a set for my del sol

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
buy some on tirerack, they are pretty cheap. I'm looking at getting a set for my del sol
im trying to stay away from buying brand new wheels right now. but seeing how i keep getting screwed, i might have to!

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alright i decided i was done f**king around so monday morning ordered some kosei k1 15x7 +38 and some 205/50 bridgestone potenza re-11 from tirerack. ordered them through work since we have a wholesale account and got a bit of a discount :thumbup: should be here monday or tuesday next week. also got some rays 50mm lugs in black coming as well!
put insurance on it yesterday and going for a plate and registration after work today! WOO! ive been super low on gas for awhile and i vowed to myself i wasn't gonna put fuel in it unless i drive it to the gas station. looks like my wish will come true! pretty excited. just need a windshield which i might get this week and gotta slap some inspection/emissions stickers on her at work. good thing im able to do that since its got no cat or evap canister anymore :lol:

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
another update! got the plate and registration!
took her out to get some gas and drove around for a bit. only bad news is she smokes...kind of alot. :sad:
might look into a factory rebuild kit or maybe just f**k it and save up for a itr long block?! (-;