my 89 dx build

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
11/27/08
Picked up a 89 dx hatch for 450 running nov 1st. Main purpose is for a clean DD with the stock motor for as long as it'll last. Heres the build line of it so far.

first day home

has alittle fender bender that needs fixed

windshield will be replaced soon

interior shots

Dx FTL

came with a non hooked up toyota radio

figured out why it wasnt hooked up..

and the crap im dealing with now...

a few weeks later i got to come home for thanksgiving break and finally work on it.

some goodies that were waiting when i got home. they sent me the wrong corner lights though.

next day i figured out why my muffler sounded like s**t

then i striped the interior

GROSS

mad tight JDM road flare lmao

how it was looking by the end of the night

all the crap that came out and stunk like ciggs and garbage

installed the wheel to see the fitment of it. Deff need a short hub for the quick release to work.

the nasty under the covers...

I went to the junkyard and there i found a hood, cluster, clock, bumper lenses, new over flow bottle, main relay, jetta lip, and rear hatch cover. after that i attempted the water pump replacement cause it leaks badly, but couldnt get the crank bolt to come off. I also attempted to install my coils but i didnt have a ball joint puller and after an hour of wacking on the LCA i gave up.

my buddy resprayed the 1/2 white and 1/2 black hood all black, and we found out theres more damage than i thought.

also found more damage behind the bumper when i replaced the bumper lenses

We also sprayed the wipers, mirrors, and spoiler with black trim paint

to finish off the night i replaced the VC gasket and removed ALLLLL the gasket maker crap off of it, some was even on the rocker...wtf. And i replaced the sparkplugs with NGKs cause the previous owner had autolites installed and drove like garbage. I forgot to mention that i found about 20 receipts, when i cleaned out the car, for parts of what he bought and installed, hence how i figured out that the plugs were WRONG.

today i spent the day wiring in my radio harness, installing my eg radio, oem clock, cluster, seat and actually got to drive it for the first time, and filled her up.

tomorrow i hope to replace the water pump, and install my suspension and lip, and try and make it out to the Dyno day!!

12/3/08
I know i said no more updates, but just picked up a 89 front bumper, filler piece, t-bar, and bumper light pigtail. gotta love junkyards. next i just need a fender and hood hinge and then yank the front support straight again.

12/11/08
Didnt get much time to work on it today cause of weather and helping out around the house, but i managed to rip the front bumper off tonight and see the damage.

the screws are stripped and fully rusted. will be drilling out tomorrow

the bumper mount for on the fender is messed up, and the fronts been completely replaced before.

The headlight is broken in 3 spots so ill be picking a new one up

all my new parts that will be going on the car and then some within the week.

ill have more updates tomorrow

12/13/08
woke up and hit the junkyard today (actually 2 times). First time picked up a new fender, front filler piece, headlight, hood hinges, and rear hatch interior cover and outer cover.

got home ripped off the old crap and started installing the new stuff. everything lines up nicely cept the headlights left and right adjuster is busted, and it seems is sitting further back in the frame (possibly needs tweaking).

pulled the bumper from the cover and discovered it was trashed and needed to be replaced. Here comes in the 2nd junkyard run of the day.

found a just freshly dropped 4 door 91 ef. Went ahead and took the support from that, the hood cable and latch. the dash was absolutely in mint condition so i finally decided to go ahead and pull it out. 30 mins later it was out and i was happy cause it was fully complete... get to the cashiers and the retard tells me to take the VIN off... long story short, the dash cracked, i took the pieces i wanted AND FKIN THREW IT 30 ft.... i was fkin livid.

ended up getting the steering wheel cover, the radio console piece plus the hood cable/latch and bumper support.

im headin back to Ft Myers for work till tuesday then ill be back for 2 weeks to finish her up and drive her around everywhere.

oh yea... MY NEW SUSPENSION CAME IN TOO...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

12/17/08
bolted the front back on today. Replaced the bumper mounts with new ones, and discovered that the 90-91 bumper support doesnt work, but i managed to bolt the front back on with out it...for now.
adjusted the headlight so it pretty much lines up with the front for now.
installed my new amber corner lights, and found out the pass sides are either blown or the wirings screwed up.
wired up the OEM bumper light pigtail
installed my new oil cap
put most the interior back in as well, still need to clean a few pieces up. tossed a few trashed pieces and installed a few new black interior pieces.
installed my 90-91 taillight center panel
stripped all the 3 layers of tint off the car.
bought a new muffler that will be going on the car
and shortly after she will be lowered. and some what complete till Christmas comes when she gets more goodies.

pics really suck cause of the rain and lighting. ill have updated ones tomorrow.

12/18/08
started the morning by cleaning the windows tint glue off, still need to hit the back window.
replaced the hood latch/cable/release.
replaced the hood hinge
everything now lines up nicely, still need to aim the headlights.
replaced the corners blubs, and high beam bulb
replaced the alt belt

also welded the muffler on tonight as well and drove it around, and now finally insured.

no pics of the exhaust yet will have those friday.

12/21/08
this is how it sits with the new suspension. i need to switch the sleeves on the coils tho.

pic of the 20 dollar muffler

12/31/08
finally got some time to myself to work on my car. installed the few interior pieces i had, my new hatch lifts, and my new windshield as well!

still need to replace my clutch and paint a few parts, and install my 2 lips side skirts and front bumper support.

1/4/09
after figuring out that the 89 flywheel is the same diameter as the 88 but with the 20 spline clutch i switched it out for the 98 flywheel i took off my g/fs new motor when i converted it to auto. installed that and my new clutch kit and was lucky enough to find the release bearing in the Si tranny was still in good shape and used that for now.

slapped the tranny back on, installed my new short shifter, and put a new axle on. The gasket for the shift shaft seal was wrong so i was able to clean up the old one a reuse it for now (waiting to see if it leaks)

my window visors came in tonight as well and tossed those on, ill have better pics in the daylight tomorrow.

i need to install my bumper support, wiper cowl, straighten and hook up my steering wheel and horn, and get an alignment before i head back to school tomorrow.

1/9/09
heres the pics of the boots, still got a few goodies coming in soon.

i say it matches perfectly with my wheel

2/25/09
s**t its been awhile since ive updated this thread

picked these up along with some black door panels that im prob not gona be using. The console didnt come with the cig lighter, ashtray or storage din, so its temp.

spring breaks this upcoming week so ive got some plans to finish up.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks like a clean body, any hidden rust or bondo?

cerasoli1188

Love/Hate Relationship
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha you took a pick of the pile at the end of your driveway nice one bro... :thumbs up

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice nice nice man. love me my 4th gens

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
Finally had a day where i could wake up and actually work on my car.

stripped the interior again

ripped the carpet out

how it looked before any cleaning

after a little vacuum action

with my new floor mats in place

and this will be out in a few hours

I need some tips on how to get this s**t clean. I used a nylon brush and sponge and it got some of the s**t off with just soap and water, but i was wondering if there was anything else out there that would clean it up much better? Im not planning on removing the sound deadning yet either. Im also not worried about the paint getting screwed up cause im gona rattle can it.

so i stripped her bare

gona try and scrub her clean tonight with cerasoli1188. might be changing up my ideas on the hatch, stay tuned.

scrubbed and scrubbed today

started getting dark and i didnt get a chance to finish the front area yet.

sound deadening will be out next weekend hopefully.

final pics of it from this weekend.

how the interior is gona stay till i come back

yes shes still dirty as hell never got around to washing it just yet.

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ncie, my CRX was the same. took EVERYTHING out cause it ws hella dirty from the last owner. gotta fix the same area for front end damage too. have fun!

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
yea I got a quote from a shop to have the front fixed, and the dents and rust taken off the roof.

how the interior is for now.

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
yea im leaving it stripped currently. Im changing the dash to black, and the door panels. i plan on respraying the interior white again. Ive got a build thread going in the proper section, but since its a 4th gen ill keep it updated here too ;)

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
3/30/09
moneys tight so not much has been done. added some 14inch wheels and some advertisement

4/2/09
pulled the knuckle, picking the parts up tomorrow, having the shop press the new s**t on, will be back together and driving by afternoon.

best theft deterrent ROFL

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
got the knuckle fixed and back together, new wheel bearing, 4 studs, and replaced the outer tie rod.

ordered the tranny seal and b***h pin to replace tomorrow, also getting my toe reset tomorrow, and replacing the rear drum brakes (squealing)

finally got around to installing this today

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
how it looked before

after cleaning the nasty that was underneath it, it gave me a good perspective of what it was gona look like haha

some progresss

the aftermath

also picked up a few other things that ill eventually have installed. but not till later.