my 89 dx build

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
8/7/10

not a good update. ill let the pics do the talking.

picking up a new compressor in a couple days. fml.

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
8/8/10

just ordered a reman compressor with some extra crap i dont need for 158 shipped. be here in a couple days. And i get to return the other a/c parts i ordered which came out to 158 so im breaking even on that.

also hit up weather tech and their sending me brandnew window visors for free cause they are still under warranty and my driver side is busted.

8/13/10

I finally have working a/c!! Its not super cold but it will do just fine.

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
8/17/10

installed everything, vacuumed it and had it filled up and it was blowing decent (but this was at night). didnt drive it for a day then went to take it out...and it was blowing hot as f**k. got pissed came home and parked it.

yesterday my neighbor came over and helped me out with trying to fix it. we hooked up the gauges and turned the system on and no dice.

verdict is the relay took a s**t, and also the freon leaked out completely... we got it filled up again and it still wasnt blowing very cold.

so i ordered a new relay, a new expanision valve, and im going to be testing for a leak, as well as having the condenser checked out for blockage, because the high side was higher than it should of been (its the only thing in the system that hasn't been touched).

also i hit up the junkyard yesterday and got me a new set of mint headlights, but the junkyard thieves wanted 50 bucks cause it has both bulbs in it instead of just the low beam... FFUUUU. took them anyway just because the insides of mine have no reflective material at all.

also saturday my new window visors came in from weather tech so no more busted driver side visor, and i also picked up full front brakes from autozone (ill never have to spend money on front brakes again cause of their wonderful warranty's)

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
8/20/10

Well i went to town on the car today.

Started with the a/c system, put the new relay in and hooked up the gauges and turned it on, and it ran, but the pressure dropped back down to 15 from 35. Granted its not empty like the other day its still leaking pretty bad. I used that test kit and didnt see any visible leaks, im going to try and find a freon sniffer tomorrow and see whats up.

after that i went ahead and changed my front brakes to autozone stuff, so now i never have to buy brakes again.

then i pulled the bumper to change the headlights, but i took some pics of why i need a new rad support, and why my pass side headlight is pushed in.

on to the headlights.
top is my old one, and bottom is the new one (both sides were like this)

then i decided... to remount my fog lights cause i got tired of people knocking into them, and them look like ass, and point in the wrong direction

before

after

mock up of how it will sit (make sure nothing was in the way)

i also modified my lip to fit better and more flush.

and the final product

I aligned the headlights, but no surprise my f**kin fogs dont work now lol. Im tired of the bullshit wiring i have to deal with on these, im going to get new wires and also wire in a relay and hopefully finally fix them for good.

I also spent sometime cleaning up the frontend (i only cleaned the filler for now) and straightening out a bunch of parts, i got my hood to close better, the gaps are alittle better and i was able to bend the filler to almost fit flush to the hood and bumper. When i finally get around to changing the front support i will take the time to fix everything else and make it look new.

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
8/21/10

worked on the car a little bit today (stopped due to rain storm)

Started with the a/c, i checked the level and it was down to 5, so i discharged the system, and replaced the expansion valve.
the old one

i then vacuumed the system and let it sit for 30 mins, and it dropped from 20 to 15, so i deff have a leak still. ive checked just about damn everything. didnt even see any leaks when i did the test.

this is how i feel about the a/c system atm.

after i finished the a/c vacuum, i received a package, and went a head and installed it!

and the old one (for sale if anyone wants it)

I also picked up new wire, connectors and shrink wrap to fix my foglights

Then i got around to finally lowering the front. its not fully set yet i had to stop cause of the rain, but its close to where i want it.

back to the a/c, i remember the high pressure side being higher than it should so i pulled the condenser out to have it checked for clogs.

I also noticed in a pic yesterday the nasty a/c hose all discolored so i fixed that as well.

tomorrow ill fix the fogs and check the condenser, then when i get home from class monday ill get it all back together and take it to a shop to see if they can find the damn leak in the system, and then get an alignment.

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
8/22/10
Didnt really do much with the car today.

i finally finished fixing my fogs and why they wouldnt turn on, got the wires sitting better inside the bumper so i dont have to worry about them falling out anymore, and i also rewired it from the switch to the lights with all new wires, as well as added different quick connectors.

before with how they were mounted

and the wiring in the bay (look on the right with the blue connectors)

After with them mounted

and the engine bay wiring

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
8/23/10
Small update*

A/c is ice cold and kicking good. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Also cleaned up the engine bay and just have to align my fogs, adjust the ride height a bit better and get the alignment. Sunday is looking gooooood!!!

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
anndddd itss colld and holding pressure 35 low 225 high. thank you freaking god!!

and a pic of the bay atm.

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
i just went threw all pages i love to see fellow H driver do them justice your thread shows that the little things matter keep up the good work

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
i just went threw all pages i love to see fellow H driver do them justice your thread shows that the little things matter keep up the good work
exactly! and thanks!

looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you!!

What is the estimated drop on that car?
the front is at 21 3/4 from flat ground to fender edge. my oil pan is about 3inches off the ground and my traction bar tow hook is about 2 1/2. im prob going to raise it up a slight bit just for DD purposes.

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
finally got the alignment done, took 3 trys on the rack but we finally got it set to good toe spec. i think something is bent in the driver rear cause i have -1.9 camber driver and -.9 pass side. so it looks like i might get some rear LCAs and inspect the camber arms and see if that fixes anything.

shot of the under carriage

the specs before adjustment, and yes -3.6 and -3.7 camber haha, gotta look into getting a kit to adjust that some.

and a 30ft burn out i did, cause my friend wanted me to "light'em up".

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
not bad for my first one ever lol. too bad the toe was still out of spec when i did this (didnt know) im sure that didnt help the life of the tire at all haha.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not really a fan of EF's but i like this build alot. nice work

Ej1_sleeper

5+ Year Member
finally have some decent weather so i took a few pics. yea its still dirty cause i hadnt gotten around to removing all the grease marks.

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looking great, huge improvements.. I'm curious, where'd u get the shift and e brake boots from. They look nice

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looking great i love the wheel choice