ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No pics but the office is finished. I will get pics this week when I am over there.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Shitty iPhone pic in bad light but the floor is finally done minus 2 closets that will be done Saturday.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Getting there...

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Freakin sweet. I know I haven't been commenting much lately, but I check up every time you post an update. I just figured you would be tired of "Ohh that looks nice, good work" every time :lol:

Keep the updates coming, I am enjoying them.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks Vic. Appreciate it.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
My dad and I are (slowly) getting work done around the house. We put up a ceiling fan in the living room a couple months back, but aren't using it because something just isn't right in the electrical work. We are a little dumb-founded. Although it probably isn't us. We are by no means experts, but even we know that the previous work done in this house is just outright scary.... Our next job will be painting. Finishing up the insulation in the attic soon too.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Electrical work isnt fun. We changed out some outlets tonight and have a bunch more along with switches to go. Just make sure that the positive (Black) goes on the brass and the negative (White) goes on the silver screws. Also got my entertainment center wall plate wired. Whats going on with the fan? Just a standard switch or is it a 3 wire configuration with one switch for lights and one for the fan?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
3 way switches. Just to be on the same page, two switches with one on either side of the room. Each time a switch is flipped, the power state changes. When we flip the switch, sometimes it works....sometimes it flickers. Sometimes when it works and we leave it on for long enough, it just starts to flicker. It is really weird, and the reason why we can't figure it out is because its totally random. There is absolutely NO pattern to it. Honestly, I don't mind the electrical work. What I mind is dealing with the cob job that already exists. Literally 3 wires under one screw on a switch, with the wire ends facing both ways. Wires running on top of joists instead of through them. It's just scary. We are also moving some of the light switches, or adding 3 way switches for some of the rooms/hallway. Unfortunately, we can only fix some of it.....and just leave the rest.

Are you just replacing old outlets with new ones, or adding outlets?

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That sounds like a nightmare. I would fix all of that and use a wire nut then run just one wire to the switch and ground. Especially the ground. Circuit overloaded or some s**t like that?

Just replacing them right now. Some were painted over and in bad shape overall. I want everything to match so I got white for all of the rooms that I did work on. Dad ran a new circuit to the garage for the garage door openers and I will need more power out there for the work area. When I redo the basement I will add some down there as well.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I would fix all of that and use a wire nut then run just one wire to the switch and ground.
That's EXACTLY what we are doing. But that's the kind of s**t we are dealing with. Other than that, the house is nice. Decent size back yard for the area, nice hardwood floors throughout the house, except for tile in the kitchen. Full basement. Only thing we don't like is no garage :cry:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's EXACTLY what we are doing. But that's the kind of s**t we are dealing with. Other than that, the house is nice. Decent size back yard for the area, nice hardwood floors throughout the house, except for tile in the kitchen. Full basement. Only thing we don't like is no garage :cry:
I cant stand it when stuff is half assed. Do it right or don't do it at all. Especially when it comes to something like electric. Someone is bound to end up hurt or the house will catch fire. I have some stuff in my garage what was just stapled to the drywall on the ceiling... I guess its better than junction boxes hidden.

The no garage would kill me. That was one thing along with some kind of a basement that I required in a house.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Don't have any pics up here is a little update as I have been working on the house. All of the baseboard and cove molding is up and holes are patched. Working on patching the seams and gaps now. All of the outlets and switches were replaced with white. New circuit was ran in the office to break up a larger circuit and to get my entertainment center stuff off the same circuit as all of my computers.The tracks for the closet doors have been hung. All of the nail holes in the floor are filled. Started to rip apart and patch the walls in the 2 hall closets. Things are getting there. Slowly but surely...

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So finally another picture update. These were taken today when I was out at the house. All the baseboard and cove molding is done, some door frames were replaced and dings in the wall were patched. Still need to prime and paint the spots on the walls, paint the door frames, repaint the baseboard and cove molding, finish the patch work, paint and flooring in the 2 hall closets, paint the back door, stain and install the railing and patch the wall and paint from where we removed to put in a new electrical breaker for all of my computer stuff. Now on with the pics.

Office:

Guest Room:

Master Bedroom:

Hall:

Family Room and Dining Room:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The wall? They aren't on hinges. Took off the master bedroom and office doors.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:Runs and Hides: I'm a ID10T