omg B16 Idle Problem

RonJ

Banned
Good luck man. You've made a lot of troubleshooting progress, which is so much better than randomly throwing parts at a problem.

1991civicb16

Good luck man. You've made a lot of troubleshooting progress, which is so much better than randomly throwing parts at a problem.
True, Thanks for the help going to take me a while to get the wiring thing done i need to get the motivation to figure it out.....

1991civicb16

Well the wiring appears to be right....

wikedeye

I am having the exact same problems with my car, only diff. is I have a 93 coupe. Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would ask here since it may help both of us. I have checked everything related to iacv, there is no fitv, and I do not have a vacuum leak. Today I checked the TW/ECT sensor. The ohm test showed 197 and there is 5 volts at both terminals. I decided to unplug the sensor with the engine running and my idle stayed constant with it unplugged, but hunts when it is plugged in. Does this indicate that the sensor is bad?

RonJ

Banned
Today I checked the TW/ECT sensor. The ohm test showed 197 and there is 5 volts at both terminals. I decided to unplug the sensor with the engine running and my idle stayed constant with it unplugged, but hunts when it is plugged in. Does this indicate that the sensor is bad?
Start by bleeding the cooling system.

wikedeye

When checking the ect for continuity as you mentioned before, do you probe the plug or the sensor itself. My reading of 197 from before was from testing the plug.

RonJ

Banned
When checking the ect for continuity as you mentioned before, do you probe the plug or the sensor itself. My reading of 197 from before was from testing the plug.
Probe the sensor terminals not the plug terminals.

wikedeye

Ok I probed the sensor and got 210 at operating temp. I bled the cooling system and I am still getting hunting idle at operating temp. I have been running 87 octane fuel for a few months now could that have anything to do with it?

RonJ

Banned
Ok I probed the sensor and got 210 at operating temp. I bled the cooling system and I am still getting hunting idle at operating temp. I have been running 87 octane fuel for a few months now could that have anything to do with it?
-Did you bleed the cooling system like this:

This procedure may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below (hint: the bleed bolt is located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine):

--------------------------
Also,
-Check the two ECT wires for an open or short between the ECT plug and ECU.

-Check the output voltage of the TPS

1991civicb16

-Did you bleed the cooling system like this:

This procedure may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below (hint: the bleed bolt is located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine):

--------------------------
Also,
-Check the two ECT wires for an open or short between the ECT plug and ECU.

-Check the output voltage of the TPS
Crazy thing today i was messing with my car and was playing with the idle screw and when i bring it out to raise the idle and put it at about 1.2k rpm the idle dont bounce strange huh....

Blk Si

When I bleed the cooling system do I have the car on or off? also my interior is stripped so I cant turn the heat on max would I still be able to do it.

RonJ

Banned
The engine is idling during the bleed. If you still have a heater core connected to coolant hoses, just manually open the heater valve on the firewall fully during the bleed. You want to get any air out of the heater core.

92cxd15b7

is it the original engine/heads/TB?
if not it may be the same thing that happened to me,
the engine was swappeed out before i bought it and when they put it back together they accidentally mixed up the IAC and PCV plugs because they almost look identical, if anything has been swapped try reversing those plugs and that may be your problem. hope that helps since its a cheap and easy fix.