Own A 6th Gen? Dont Wanna Get Jacked? Read This!

runupnr

5+ Year Member
Yeah i hate theives, you really cant stop them. If they want it their gonna get it. the best thing to do is watch your crowd, most of the time the suspect is some one you know.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah i hate theives, you really cant stop them. If they want it their gonna get it. the best thing to do is watch your crowd, most of the time the suspect is some one you know.
Here it is usually just someone who happened to drive by your car.

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
would somehow locking your battery cables together help? what about taking out the ecu?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Why would locking your battery cables together help? Removing the ECU every time is a pain in the ass.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1794938

He has some really good information, but here's a part that's relevant to what you posted.

suspendedHatch said:
Here is a list of car security strategies that can't be relied upon for various reasons. Some of these strategies are viable visual deterrents, but if they're inconvenient, high in cost, or simply ineffective, they made the list. If I keep coming across posts that say "help, my car got stolen even though I ---.", that --- made the list.

Removing ECU
Removing Fuses/Relays
Removing plug wires/distributor cap
Removable steering wheel
Club-like devices
Starter kill chip
Standard alarm install
Factory alarm
Factory immobilizer
Factory steering wheel lock
Any type of switch/chip/start kill device that is:
A) visible
B) connected to the ignition harness
Praying
Ignorance
Having an ugly exterior
"If they really want it, they'll get it."

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why would locking your battery cables together help? Removing the ECU every time is a pain in the ass.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1794938

He has some really good information, but here's a part that's relevant to what you posted.

i guess because they wont be able to start the car. removing the ecu is a pain but i just dont want my next car to get stolen again. whoever stole my car is going to come by my house again and see what i got next so i have to make it as anti theft as possible.

thanks for the info.

does any one know were you can get the boots that the city puts on your tires?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How would locking your battery cables together keep anyone from starting your car? I'm not syre what you're trying to say to do here.

The same peopel probably won't steal your car again. Most cars just get picked up. Most cars are special enough to get staked out.

Puritania

5+ Year Member
Last summer someone managed to get into my EG8 (I think I might've forgotten to lock a door:oops:) and I got VERY VERY lucky since they didn't take my deck because I left the faceplate on it that night. HOWEVER they did take my digital camera and two old useless cell phones that were in the glove box. Had to have been a bunch of kids since nothing else was missing.

While the car wasn't stolen I can relate... nothing makes you more pissed off to know that what you worked so damn hard for is now in the hands of some idiot who is too lazy to earn things on his own... :evil::evil::evil:

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How would locking your battery cables together keep anyone from starting your car? I'm not syre what you're trying to say to do here.

The same peopel probably won't steal your car again. Most cars just get picked up. Most cars are special enough to get staked out.
i am talking about disconnecting the battery cables, taking the battery out and locking both cables together. the only way you would be able to separate them is to cut the wires.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i am talking about disconnecting the battery cables, taking the battery out and locking both cables together. the only way you would be able to separate them is to cut the wires.
What exactly is done to your Civic anyway?

Seriously, this is a pain in the ass to keep a car from being stolen when there are much easier and more efficient ways.

I'm still not sure how exactly you'd lock them that would make it impossible to just reconnect the cables and start it anyway.

I can just imagine seeing you come home, pop the hood, remove your cables and lock them together. Then when you go to leave again, do the same thing all over. Not to mention every time you got to the mall, to a friend's house, school, work, the grocery store, etc. and so forth.

Just buy an alarm already.

I found this in another thread:
any one have jo jack on their car? how much has it helped?
I can tell you it works better than locking your cables together. Skip any sort of free "security" like that and just get something worthwhile.

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont have a civic any more it got stolen, look at my sig. i would be willing to to lock my battery cables every time so my next car does not get stolen again. you can leave the battery in the car too because there would be no way to connect the cables. its 5 min of work at the most.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How would there be no way to connect the cables? I can't see a way that would lock the two cables together and not allow them to attach to the battery unless you lock the cables each to another part of the car.

It's still a really crappy way to secure your car when there are EASIER AND MORE EFFECTIVE WAYS TO SECURE IT.

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont think he can get lojack since he's in IL.

Stealth install alam -back up batter and 2 sirens inside the car
Key'ed kill switches
loom all wires and wrap them
Relocate hood release cable (actuall unit, not only the cable)
Remove power locks, locking pins and all manual door locks, so it can ONLY be opened via your alarm.

And then autolock and club with quick release wheel and QR lock to piss them off.

And as far as I know, people respond ALOT more to the fast passed high pitched siren VS the standard everyday car alarm siren. Make your sirens unique, and hide them

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How would there be no way to connect the cables? I can't see a way that would lock the two cables together and not allow them to attach to the battery unless you lock the cables each to another part of the car.

It's still a really crappy way to secure your car when there are EASIER AND MORE EFFECTIVE WAYS TO SECURE IT.
i dont think you get what i am trying to say.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i dont think you get what i am trying to say.
No, I don't. Which is why I'm trying to get you to explain what you mean.
umair said:
Holy s**t... you want to REMOVE the battery and haul it away with you every time you park?

You also mentioned that you could leave the battery in and just remove the cables and lock them together. How will this keep people from moving the lock down a bit and just putting the cables back in place?

By the way, lots of cars are just pushed down the road and parts are picked off of them. They never even start the car. Not to mention you'll need (instead of "want") a backup battery if you want an alarm.

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i for got what it is called but i am talking about locking the things that go on the positive and negative tremanales(sp). you dont have to take the battery out but you can. i am going to have to take a pic fron another car to show you guys what i am talking about. i think it is a good idea. i will try to do it today.

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i am talking about locking these together. i dont think their is any way anyone would be able to start the car if you do this. what do you guys think.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i am talking about locking these together. i dont think their is any way anyone would be able to start the car if you do this. what do you guys think.

Those bend incredibly easy. They're made of very soft lead; the lead free ones are easier to bend. You just remove the bolt at the end (the one that tightens of loosens the connection) and then you bend the ring apart.