Vjf915's NA Miata

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I picked this up a couple days ago, just got around to taking a couple pictures. I've been looking for an older sports car for a couple months now. I was going to pick up the first clean MR2, Supra, RX7, or Miata that I found. I started leaning towards Miata's because they tend to be driven by older people, and are normally taken better care of. I (unfortunately) found this at a used car dealer, but just couldn't walk away from it. Interior is 9.5 out of 10, paint is 9 out of 10, and it's got 79k miles on it. I'll eventually replace the top, but a good cleaning will get it looking better.

Future plans: Today I'm cleaning it up a bit, and will wash/wax it on the next sunny day we have. First investment will be a functional roll bar, in all likelihood a Hard Dog single diagonal. After that, if I have the funds, I'll probably do a big brake kit with braided stainless lines. After that, I'll figure it out as I go =)

Excuse the quality, I'm just using a poor mans digital camera.

Jose1027

Registered VIP
Looks good bro,bay pics:D

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow, that is clean man. congrats. i remember reading that the one with leather ment something special... ugh i can't remember.

Nice old-school Weber grill btw? :thumbup:

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That is seriously clean. I don't like miatas, but that looks real nice. And only 79k miles!! Holy.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Looks good bro,bay pics:D
I'll try and get some up soon. The bay is pretty clean too, although the valve cover could use a little bit of cleaning. I'm going to get better pictures up on a nicer day after I wax it.
wow, that is clean man. congrats. i remember reading that the one with leather ment something special... ugh i can't remember.

As far as I know, this isn't a special edition or anything. This is the first year that the 1.8 was under the hood in place of the 1.6 though. Yea that Weber was actually a "hand-me-down" that we got for free from a friend. I cleaned it up real nice, runs like a champ ;)
That is seriously clean. I don't like miatas, but that looks real nice. And only 79k miles!! Holy.
Thanks. I never thought I'd own a Miata. But when I saw it in person, and test drove it...I couldn't walk away. This was definitely someone's garage queen, it averaged just over 4k miles a year.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Looks good Vic. Planning on new soft top or hard top?

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks nice, was just about to ask if it was 1.6 or 1.8. I know the 1.8 has larger brakes. With the right pads and maybe some new stainless lines I'm sure you'd have plenty of stopping power.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Looks good Vic. Planning on new soft top or hard top?
For now, just a new soft top if I can find one for the right price. I'll eventually invest in a hard top though.
Looks nice, was just about to ask if it was 1.6 or 1.8. I know the 1.8 has larger brakes. With the right pads and maybe some new stainless lines I'm sure you'd have plenty of stopping power.
Yea the '94 model came with larger brakes as well. I'll have to see if a big brake kit will fit inside the stock wheels. If not, I'll look into alternatives.
Looks good man, u plan on autoxing it or sumthin?
Probably not right away. If anything, maybe next summer.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
is that a vett under the cover? post pics

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea the '94 model came with larger brakes as well. I'll have to see if a big brake kit will fit inside the stock wheels. If not, I'll look into alternatives.
Yeah I think most larger calipers would be tough to fit under oem wheels. People rave over Hawk HPS and HP plus pads. They're a lot easier on the pocketbook than a bbk too.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=HPS+Street+brake+pads&group=HPS+Street+brake+pads&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=Miata&autoYear=1996&autoModClar=

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
is that a vett under the cover? post pics
It is. It's my dads 1982 Corvette. I posted pictures here once back when that was DD, but I just found that I took the pictures down from photobucket. I'll try to get pictures up at some point.
Yeah I think most larger calipers would be tough to fit under oem wheels. People rave over Hawk HPS and HP plus pads. They're a lot easier on the pocketbook than a bbk too.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=HPS+Street+brake+pads&group=HPS+Street+brake+pads&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=Miata&autoYear=1996&autoModClar=
I'll look into that. I found a company that pieces together a cheaper bbk, runs about $350-$400 all in. Not too bad considering what you get. If that fits, I'll probably pick that up.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yah, i thought so, i could tell by those real tall fenders. nice miata man, needs more low lol

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Dammit. I washed and waxed it today. I didn't clean the engine bay, and I just got out of the shower. Maybe tomorrow. Stupid me for thinking I could put pictures of a new car on a car forum without a bay shot :lol:

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
VERY nice pick up. Miatas are great cars and even better when modified(suspension wise).

There's an M-Edition and ones with Sport packages. I believe all of the M-Editions came with leather but don't see any of the "M" logos anywhere.

I'll look into that. I found a company that pieces together a cheaper bbk, runs about $350-$400 all in. Not too bad considering what you get. If that fits, I'll probably pick that up.
A good set of brake pads would be all that you need. I don't think I've seen a Miata with a BBK and I've seen almost literally thousands of race prepped Miata's over the years. Besides, you might want to upgrade to better tires before going to stronger brakes. Not much use if you can't get enough traction to slow down anyways..

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
VERY nice pick up. Miatas are great cars and even better when modified(suspension wise).

A good set of brake pads would be all that you need. I don't think I've seen a Miata with a BBK and I've seen almost literally thousands of race prepped Miata's over the years. Besides, you might want to upgrade to better tires before going to stronger brakes. Not much use if you can't get enough traction to slow down anyways..
Thanks. Again I'll look into it. The only thing I know for sure right now is that I'm getting a roll bar. After that, brakes and suspension were what I considered next on the list, but I haven't looked into it enough yet. It's got a basically brand new set of Dunlop SP Sport A2's on it. Honestly I've TRIED doing research on them, but I can barely find any information at all. From what I do know, they're all season high performance tires. I can't even find them for sale anywhere though :what:

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks. Again I'll look into it. The only thing I know for sure right now is that I'm getting a roll bar. After that, brakes and suspension were what I considered next on the list, but I haven't looked into it enough yet. It's got a basically brand new set of Dunlop SP Sport A2's on it. Honestly I've TRIED doing research on them, but I can barely find any information at all. From what I do know, they're all season high performance tires. I can't even find them for sale anywhere though :what:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Dunlop/SP+Sport+A2+Plus

Discontinued tire, probably won't be able to find them new.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Not that I want to BUY any. I was just hoping to compare them to other tires on the market. I don't think I'll invest in new tires right away, as these are just about brand new. That's why I'm going to head towards brakes and suspension after the roll bar.