TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
2500HD Duramax FTMFW!

And you would be crazy to buy a truck that is not a diesel.....I have a chevy 350 and would get raid of it in a heart beat for a diesel...Considering i get 12mpg and my friends chevy diesel can easly get 20....:(

not to mention it's more reliable and makes more power while getting better gas mileage :mrgreen:

they all have their strong/weak points, but if i had to choose one for longevity i'd choose the dodge.
we've sold more old dodge diesel trucks than any other brand and have never heard a single complaint pre or post sale

sold one last week, it was a 1990 with over 230,000 miles.... it ran so well that i would not hesitate to drive that thing cross country and back

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not to mention it's more reliable and makes more power while getting better gas mileage :mrgreen:

they all have their strong/weak points, but if i had to choose one for longevity i'd choose the dodge.
we've sold more old dodge diesel trucks than any other brand and have never heard a single complaint pre or post sale

sold one last week, it was a 1990 with over 230,000 miles.... it ran so well that i would not hesitate to drive that thing cross country and back
thats good to hear. my friend that works at circuit city said the dodges are crap because he can see the insides of them... i dont know if he was trying to deter me from diesels because he said the same thing about ford and chevy.

anybody actually own a diesel? if so, what bad things have you noticed about it? like you had to take it back to the dealer because an injector clip was bad or your seat was coming apart.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Really the worse part about diesel is the cost of fuel (make up for it in mileage) they are noisy and they stink.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
diesel is cheaper then the gas in my area

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i respect diesles for their power but hate how they stink like ass they are loud as fook and the black smoke FTMFL.

i used to work at an oil change place and we used to hate doing diesls cuz they took a long time to do. Most of them take like 10+ quarts of oil and the filter had to be pre primed on some. And on one of the diesels the filters are tucked up under the fender and are a pain in the ass to get out especialy after the rednecks go playin in the cow s**t...damn rednecks

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Chevrolet/GMC Duramax. Isuzu is a great engine builder. Allison makes a helluva tranny.

Ford is currently in litigation with Navistar/International over the lack of quality of their PowerStroke engines.

The Dodge isn't bad at all but it is the oldest design on the market. Fewest moving parts in the engine. Great durability. But the interior is dated by comparison

But the question that remains is why do you need a diseasel? I mean if you have a 4 axle horse-trailer, large boat or something then yeah, you probably need a HD truck.

I find that the larger percentage of HD truck buyers do not need/properly use a vehicle like that. I mean what the hell is the pupose of having a 1-ton dually if you are going to roll pan the bumper and cover the bed with a fiberglas tonneau? You can't tow anything and you can't carry anything in the bed that you wouldn't be able to carry in a Ranger/Colorado/Tacoma/Rigeline...etc...

I wonder why small diesel trucks are not sold in the USA? Maybe they do not meet current EPA standards :what: Isuzu and Mitsubishi make good little diesel trucks that are sold throughout Europe and Asia. Surely there are landscaping, delivery, etc... companies in the US that would LOVE a 35-40 mpg work truck. Nissan owns (or owned) UD. Surely one would think that UD or Nissan parent Renault would have a decent small diesel

For fullsize half-ton truck choice? Toyota Tundra. Quickest, Fastest, Great Re-Sale value, Toyota dependability....
I liked the Titan a lot though. Resale value is not nearly as good but the sound of it's engine at WOT is :drool:
New Chevy/GMC? Great interior. Hate the exterior though
F150....no thanks

sinisterfuzzy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i drove an '07 3500 Big Horn for work and it was pretty sweet. i thought the interior needed something though... some mooore...

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Chevrolet/GMC Duramax. Isuzu is a great engine builder. Allison makes a helluva tranny.

Ford is currently in litigation with Navistar/International over the lack of quality of their PowerStroke engines.

The Dodge isn't bad at all but it is the oldest design on the market. Fewest moving parts in the engine. Great durability. But the interior is dated by comparison

But the question that remains is why do you need a diseasel? I mean if you have a 4 axle horse-trailer, large boat or something then yeah, you probably need a HD truck.

I find that the larger percentage of HD truck buyers do not need/properly use a vehicle like that. I mean what the hell is the pupose of having a 1-ton dually if you are going to roll pan the bumper and cover the bed with a fiberglas tonneau? You can't tow anything and you can't carry anything in the bed that you wouldn't be able to carry in a Ranger/Colorado/Tacoma/Rigeline...etc...

I wonder why small diesel trucks are not sold in the USA? Maybe they do not meet current EPA standards :what: Isuzu and Mitsubishi make good little diesel trucks that are sold throughout Europe and Asia. Surely there are landscaping, delivery, etc... companies in the US that would LOVE a 35-40 mpg work truck. Nissan owns (or owned) UD. Surely one would think that UD or Nissan parent Renault would have a decent small diesel

For fullsize half-ton truck choice? Toyota Tundra. Quickest, Fastest, Great Re-Sale value, Toyota dependability....
I liked the Titan a lot though. Resale value is not nearly as good but the sound of it's engine at WOT is :drool:
New Chevy/GMC? Great interior. Hate the exterior though
F150....no thanks
I'm sure you know this but they do have 3/4 ton diesel pickups, which are awsome if you have a boat or are in the cunstruction business. I do however agree that alot of people get these tank 1 ton trucks and haul less then what a ranger can. Seems like a waste of money to me.
f150's from 01 and up are ugly as s**t. Now the super duty f250's minus the fender vent, I think are one of the nicest domestic trucks on the market right now. I do like the new gm's for the most part. I'm just not sure about them being so bulky looking.

Jordan_n

No fun unless ur Dragging
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
had a manager with a dodge 1500 hemi, it was a BA truck, especially since he had a dvd player and 4 15" in the back.... dont get a ford

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm sure you know this but they do have 3/4 ton diesel pickups, which are awsome if you have a boat or are in the construction business......
hell yeah.
you can pull a Bobcat with a Ranger or Colorado....but you can't stop. :shock::suprise:
You should have at least a 3/4 ton for jobs like that. :lol:

. I do however agree that alot of people get these tank 1 ton trucks and haul less then what a ranger can. Seems like a waste of money to me.
Seems like penis compensation to me. :rolf:

K2_civic

Fo-drizzle!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Other specify

I am sorry that you have a small penis and must compensate with a big truck

green ej8

diamond member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my dad has a dodge diesel i dont know what size but its a quadcab and i love that thing the interior is kinda old but if your gonna use the truck for what its made for you dont want an interior that your not gonna want to get dirty and he hasnt had any problems with his truck

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would sugest getting a toyota or nissan. The new tundra w/ the 5.7L should have more power than you'll ever need for any basic towing and it gets the same gas mileage if no better than the competition w/ less power b/c of many things including its 6 speed auto. It is expensive though, but would be well worth it.

When I say Nissan I mean ONLY the frontier. The Titan has had MANY problems since its introduction a few years ago. Until they get these resolved, I wouldn't buy one.

You could go w/ the Dodge, Ford, or GMC but honestly their trucks or atleast what I'm picturing that you've described is way more than the average joe needs. Plus w/ gas mileage on some of them and increase in gas prices and also the fact that they generally are expensive in the first place. On top of all that I am a little skeptical of their trucks just bc they arent rated as high on the consumer reports list as others such as the ridgeline, toyota trucks, and frontier in reliability.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would sugest getting a toyota or nissan. The new tundra w/ the 5.7L should have more power than you'll ever need for any basic towing and it gets the same gas mileage if no better than the competition w/ less power b/c of many things including its 6 speed auto. It is expensive though, but would be well worth it.

When I say Nissan I mean ONLY the frontier. The Titan has had MANY problems since its introduction a few years ago. Until they get these resolved, I wouldn't buy one.

You could go w/ the Dodge, Ford, or GMC but honestly their trucks or atleast what I'm picturing that you've described is way more than the average joe needs. Plus w/ gas mileage on some of them and increase in gas prices and also the fact that they generally are expensive in the first place. On top of all that I am a little skeptical of their trucks just bc they arent rated as high on the consumer reports list as others such as the ridgeline, toyota trucks, and frontier in reliability.

The Titan and Frontier are structurally similar (F-Alpha frame) What is so unreliable about the Titan?

Most of the time, fuel economy is not a valid reason to get a compact truck vs a full size.
For example:

Ranger 3.0, 148 hp, 17mpg city 21mpg hwy
F150 4.2, 202 hp, 16mpg city 20mpg hwy
1 mpg difference for the Ford.

Dodge? same engine, same economy. The MDS in the Hemi Ram actually gives it a slight advantage over it's Magnum equipped little brother the Dakota on the freeway.

Colorado 3.7 242 hp, 16mpg city 22mpg hwy
Silverado 4.8 295 hp, 16 mpg city 22 mpg hwy
no difference

Unless you get a Mazda MZR 2.3 powered Ford Ranger or a QR25 Frontier with a manual, you probably won't see an average of 20+ mpg.

And it has been proven over and over again that Consumer Reports does not have any credibility.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And it has been proven over and over again that Consumer Reports does not have any credibility.
the best was when those idiots did a road test of the 350z and compalined about the harsh ride of the suspension .... its a sports car not a caddy you morons!

i would reccomend the chevy hands down, but i dont know if you can find one in your price range

ford powerstroke is where i would look next.

my neighbors here in napa got both and he likes the ford better .... hes got an 05 f250 xcab diesel and a 07 big horn quad cab diesel

personally if i get a truck its probably gonna be a 4 cyl ranger 2wd .... 29 mpg ftw.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
personally if i get a truck its probably gonna be a 4 cyl ranger 2wd .... 29 mpg ftw.
Hellz yeah.

The 2.3 is the same as the 2.3 in the Mazda3....okay it doesn't have vvt but otherwise it's the same MZR.

I like the B2300 SE5 extended cab. :twisted: same truck but better looking....well, better looking on Mazda's website anyway

All the B2300s newer than 04 around here are reg cab, vinyl floor, plain vinyl or cloth bench seat:evil:

Either way, 29 mpg when gas hits 4.00 gallon is not going to hurt quite as much as the 4.0 V6 in a Frontier

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i like the way the mazda looks better too but here they are also all reg cab or with hella miles.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In response:

The titan had numerous problems that I read about in Consumer Reports. The main thing I remember was brakes and other various things. I dont remember the exacts but I do remember it getting the worst rating possible which means there is good reason to not consider buying it.

And it has been proven over and over again that Consumer Reports does not have any credibility
Ok now I am going to need something more than that. The only thing that I have heard that Consumer Reports has ever had as a major mistake was the latest crash tests of child safety seats. Besides this many automotive companies and others have tried to disprove consumer reports but have inevitably failed because Consumer Reports rates cars on a thorough, though sometimes boring, scale and testing procedure. As most know these ratings are especially useful considering that they are based off of questionaires sent to tons of vehicle owners and then the compilated data is used to rate cars. Yes they may be bland as hell, and sometimes their gripes seem dumb but when it comes down to it who else rates cars overall better? Consider this, 9 times out of 10 when I read something on a car review in Motor Trend, Car and Driver or most other car magazines, I never hear much about reliability, resale, etc... The only time this is usually noted is when the reliability is very notable, where bad or good.