first time oil changer lol

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im moving to Pittsburgh PA in 2 weeks and i need a oil change pretty badly i have like 70,800 on the car now and i had a oil change at 66904. SO i like need one badly lol. Oil level is like slightly right now above the second dot but its dirty. I have had my car taken to mechanics or honda certified people who always managed to f**k s**t up or soon after i would have oil problems (well this is when they were trying to repair oil leaks)...So i trust myself over the other idiots that have worked on my car ya kno?

currently no leaks just 1 valve cover bolt is stripped. but barely any oil leaks out if any.

I want to do a oil change

I have a 2000 civic ex coupe. Obviously it has a D16y8 in it.
Im pretty sure its running regular oil right now.

I got a Honda HAMP OEM Oil Filter

What type of oil do i use 5w-30 or 10W-30?
How many quarts?
regular vs synthetic?
Any recommended oil?

I pretty much know how to do it:
put car up on ramps. I already know were the oil pan is loosen/take out bolt and let oil pour into a pan or bucket or some s**t that ill take to a gas station later to dispose of? turn counter clockwise the oil filter pop it off pop the hamp oil filter on and tighten it till its extremly tight. Open valve cover cap and pour in X amount of quarts of oil. start car

AmerOne

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4 quarts 5w30 mobil one synthetic some people compensate for oil filter and put in 4.5 , ive been using mobil one filters also i think the number is M-104 but double check in the parts store where you shop , they should have a booklet wich tells you . ive also ran Royal Purple in my car ,,, thought the engine ran a little smoother on the begining when i first put it in but after few days i coudnt tell the difference between Royal and Mobil

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what exactly is the difference between 10w 30 and 5w 30...cuz i think you can use both?

ci9v8ic

5+ Year Member
4 quarts 5w30 mobil one synthetic some people compensate for oil filter and put in 4.5 , ive been using mobil one filters also i think the number is M-104 but double check in the parts store where you shop , they should have a booklet wich tells you . ive also ran Royal Purple in my car ,,, thought the engine ran a little smoother on the begining when i first put it in but after few days i coudnt tell the difference between Royal and Mobil
actually i beleive its 3.1 quarts of oil for the d16y8.

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol see in the past some idiot put in 6 full quarts in mine looo he said he did it cuz oil was on special loooll....anyways o boy different answers for amount of oil who's right lol

kip

5+ Year Member
yea i've never been able to fit 4 quarts even with filter change. Best thing is put in two, start car, run for a few seconds then check the oil level and add from there.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Actually, you don't tighten the filter til it's "extremely tight". You're supposed to turn it 3/4 of a full turn (I think) once the filter makes contact with the block. If you do it too tight, good luck getting it off next time. Especially with the pain in the ass design of where the filter is and having to reach up for it. And each oil change, make sure the rubber gasket on the oil filter comes off with the oil filter. Otherwise, if you have 2 gaskets on there, you'll be sorry once you pour new oil back into the engine and start the car.

And the Honda manual recommends 5W-30. Choosing regular or synthetic is up to you. But once you do go synthetic for a while, I hear it's not recommended to go back to regular.

As for the amount, read your manual. I always fill up 3.5 and it's right in the middle of the 2 dots on the dipstick. I'm almost positive the manual says 3.5 too or close to it. I've done 4 before and it was past the highest dot on the dipstick by about 1/8".

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
3.8 for overhaul, 3.5 for change w/filter and 3.2 for just oil change. No where NEAR 4qts, 4.5qts? are you crazy? some people? lies.....

95gainfla

5+ Year Member
I pretty much know how to do it:
put car up on ramps. I already know were the oil pan is loosen/take out bolt and let oil pour into a pan or bucket or some s**t that ill take to a gas station later to dispose of? turn counter clockwise the oil filter pop it off pop the hamp oil filter on and tighten it till its extremly tight. Open valve cover cap and pour in X amount of quarts of oil. start car

after the oil filter is tight, remember to put the oil pan drain plug back in BEFORE opening valve cover cap and putting any ammount of oil in it.

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
after the oil filter is tight, remember to put the oil pan drain plug back in BEFORE opening valve cover cap and putting any ammount of oil in it.
what the hell? the oil filler cap is the 1st thing to remove, and last thing to put back on.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
3.8 for overhaul, 3.5 for change w/filter and 3.2 for just oil change. No where NEAR 4qts, 4.5qts? are you crazy? some people? lies.....
I was saying I've put in 4 before (accidentally) and it was well over too much. Was just letting the OP know to not make the same mistake.

what the hell? the oil filler cap is the 1st thing to remove, and last thing to put back on.
lol that's what I was thinking too.

jdmspivic

Go Ahead Shoot Me b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4 qt.s of 5w-30 and use some fram filters they are pretty bad ass in my opinion

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
gathered info:
3.2 for oil change without change of filter
3.5 with change of oil filter
start with 2 quarts start (idle the car) add more if needed.
In the manual it says 3.5 quarts

now as for what oil. I think you can use 5w-30 or 10w -30 whats the difference in the two and why would u use them?

Regular vs synthetic. what are the advantages of both. If someone converted to synthetic then would switch back to regualar what would be the reason to switch back to regualr. I heard you can swtich to synthetic no problem but going back to regular is a problem.
basically regualr VS synthetic ->Mobile one

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4 qt.s of 5w-30 and use some fram filters they are pretty bad ass in my opinion
Wow, why not just crap inside your cocopuffs in the morning. Your quite retarded so stop posting.

fram sucks
and we already said 4qts is obiviously too much.

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gathered info:

Regular vs synthetic. what are the advantages of both. If someone converted to synthetic then would switch back to regualar what would be the reason to switch back to regualr. I heard you can swtich to synthetic no problem but going back to regular is a problem.
basically regualr VS synthetic ->Mobile one
Go synthetic mobil 1, or royal purple 5w30. 10w30 if your boosting or only in humid warm climates.

switching back and forth is no problem

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go synthetic mobil 1, or royal purple 5w30. 10w30 if your boosting or only in humid warm climates.

switching back and forth is no problem
PA im moving their in 2 weeks doubt that counts as humid warm climate compared to other locatons. Im def boosting but itll be haha after several oil changes to come ( a year or so)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've been using FRAM filter for the past 40k+ miles. Haven't had a single problem at all.

95gainfla

5+ Year Member
see, thats the reaction i was first looking for, but some people just gotta be joke snipers and ruin the moment by not reading s**t.

or im just not funny..either way, i think you'll be fine. experience is the best teacher and the only way to really learn how to do an oil change, and learn about pretty much anything is by getting out in your driveway and getting dirty.:cool:

and we'll always be here to laugh at you...then help you....if you f**k something up.:lol: