Help on coilovers please!

enzorubinich

im 17 i got a 97 honda civic dx. im looking to buy coilovers with in a month or so. ive been doing my research and asking friends and so far here are my top choices my car is semi gutted out, im want something that handles and i can go low. im going for a auto cross/ daily driven and can go low as f***. i have no intend for taking it to the track but the roads around me are nice and curvy so i want something that is fun to drive

function form type 1's
function form type 2's
d2 coilovers
ground control/ koni

please feel free to post photos for what set up you have and your opinon thanks!:D

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Out of your list I would go with Ground Controls and Koni's but that's my opinion. Maybe get a custom spring rate from GC if you want something a bit stiffer. I rode them for 5+ years before I sold them and they were still fine. I was pretty low with about a 1 finger gap.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im 17 i got a 97 honda civic dx. im looking to buy coilovers with in a month or so. ive been doing my research and asking friends and so far here are my top choices my car is semi gutted out, im want something that handles and i can go low. im going for a auto cross/ daily driven and can go low as f***. i have no intend for taking it to the track but the roads around me are nice and curvy so i want something that is fun to drive

function form type 1's
function form type 2's
d2 coilovers
ground control/ koni

please feel free to post photos for what set up you have and your opinon thanks!:D
"low as f***" and autox do not mix. Pick one.

If all you care about is going stupid low, then the F&F's would probably be your best bet. They are far from the best choice from a performance stand point.

Stay away from D2's...

Koni and GC is your best bet as far as performance but they really aren't designed to be dumped and expected to work correctly at the same time..

Rinzler

go with GC & Koni. If you plan on going low as your referring to you will regret only to be spending money on replacing parts. But it's your ride good luck with your choice.

enzorubinich

mybe saying low as f**k was a bad choice of words..its a daily driver so it really cant be that low im NOT going for a "hella flush" slammed look, i just dont want alot of wheel gap.. but thanks alot guys, does anyone have any photos of there set ups on there cars? if you have any other coilover suggestions please let me know im open to everything

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have the money I would go with Konis/GCs. They are more performance based and I hear really great things about them. You can choose custom spring rates too, which is cool.
FF2's are kind of the same idea. To my understanding. They're the same price as Konis/GCs
FF1's are going to be cheaper, only because they don't have the dampening adjustment. But still ride great and will slam it. I'm going to be ordering mine here in a week or so.
Don't even look at D2's. I've always heard awful things about them.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
"low as f***" and autox do not mix. Pick one.

If all you care about is going stupid low, then the F&F's would probably be your best bet. They are far from the best choice from a performance stand point.

Stay away from D2's...

Koni and GC is your best bet as far as performance but they really aren't designed to be dumped and expected to work correctly at the same time..
You can get the Koni/GC for around $700-750. ClubCivic has had a good deal on the Koni lately.
They are rebound adjustable, just like the majority of the other shocks you see out there.
Everything I wanted to say has been said in these 3 posts :thumbs up.

F&F Type I's are great if all you want is looks. Their spring rates aren't really setup for the best performance but they're definitely way stiffer over stock. They're more setup to create understeer which is a lot safer than oversteer. As is a lot of coilover/springs unless you get custom spring rates.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im the exception to the coilover "rule of thumb" on forums =)

"I DD my hatch dumped on 'the anti-christ', i mean FnF's just fine!"

But i also agree with the other posts in here. There are tons of options, but the intended use and proper use of the suspension makes a HUGE difference

enzorubinich

wow thanks guys! i didnt even think people were going to replay back but if anyone has more pictures of the FF1 coilovers on there cars that would be great! there probly my number 1 choice right now because of money...i work at a snowboard shop and money is kinda tight because i make jack s**t and pretty much get paid to hangout haha

Decipher

Registered VIP
I didn't see anybody mention Progress Technology here, so I thought I'd throw them on your list. They are in the same price range as the F&Fs, great customer service (based in US), and they ride beautifully.

http://www.clubcivic.com/store/progress-technology-series-2-coilovers_mp526.html

I just bought mine a few weeks ago and have since put about 2,000 miles on them, 1,000 of which were on I-95 from VA to NJ roundtrip with the trunk loaded down to capacity and my wife and son in the car and nobody complained. They're offered in 3 different spring rates. Here's what they look like on my sedan, with about 1.5" left to go on the perches.

Just thought you might like to consider them in your search. Good luck

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The progress coils might be the most comfortable ones out of the bunch.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Tein street basis... picked them up this summer. Love them.