Regarding the New To The Site Section

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nope.. 15 year old Joey's first post was asking if he should get z3 fenders or some equally ricey spoiler :lol:

The crazy part? NOBODY flamed. Not even a little bit....

Hahaha. Hey during that time it hadn't been classified as rice yet. Wings were popular for a long time.

Oct '11 was a post about when my heating wasn't working. I responded to myself and then the thread died. Somewhat accurate depiction of some of the things that still happen.

Also, might I add, no one helped me then and I still stuck around. Bet you guys are happy for that!

Stuck around? More like took a 3 year hiatus then came out of no where. :lol:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nope.. 15 year old Joey's first post was asking if he should get z3 fenders or some equally ricey spoiler :lol:

The crazy part? NOBODY flamed. Not even a little bit....
I didn't have an intro thread either. My first thread was about Buddy Club 2 side skirts and how to mount them. Horrible grammar and all...

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
That would be a great thread in its appropriate forum. It's not something I have control over, but post it up in site suggestions and Justin may have a way to make that happen.
Ugh I have to do the legwork?

Absolutely, I try to say hi to the new guys that post, no matter where it is.

What I'm getting at is a lot of the new members post everywhere else, and some of them will just make their first post a very vague "technical" post in a random section regarding the issue that brought them here. At that point, the use of "New to the Site" section has been completely steam rolled by ignorance.

I think we'd lose a lot of members. And I'm not saying it would be a bad thing if some of them went away, but some of them are frazzled and will post in a rush to get something "fixed". They may not be such bad users after. But then again, I could be giving them a lot of credit and they could be completely useless hobnobs...

I like that idea though.
We aren't exactly gaining real members by the truckfull. It's a safe assumption that the people who post the types of "ficks my civC over the interwbez" threads won't be the high caliber contributors we are so accustomed to.

Not to mention the " I have a civic which engine should I put in it" people, how the f*** did they ever get through school without knowing how to do research.

My idea would eliminate both these type of issues.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you don't want to answer it, you don't have to. It's not like our forums are exactly cluttered right now. If they were, I'd be hugely concerned with unnecessary threads. As of right now, all they're doing is generating additional discussion...

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
If you don't want to answer it, you don't have to. It's not like our forums are exactly cluttered right now. If they were, I'd be hugely concerned with unnecessary threads. As of right now, all they're doing is generating additional discussion...
Why do you think that is?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
We've discussed this.

Not just CC, but forums in general are declining. Just about anything you want to know about a Civic is plastered all over the internet. There's a ton of information here. Members can find the information they need without even joining the forum. There's a reason we have hundreds of guests on the site at all times, 634 at the time of this post. Only 17 are in Off-Topic. Over 130 are in the old Tech section, where posting has been locked since 2011. When it comes to general discussion, social media sites are taking over.

And like Joe said, even new members with poor grammar generate site traffic. Anyone remember Paul? :lol:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There are a number of reasons. If you would like to continue the discussion, please bring it to the site suggestions forum, as you are bringing this thread off its intended topic.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I see what you're talking about. I don't think there's a lot we can do to force members to post an intro thread. We can try to suggest it when answering their first post, but I think the larger problem right now is that some do post an intro thread and aren't welcomed, or are only welcomed by one or two people.
Its obvious that a large majority of these new members simply dont read through the "New Member" suggestions and I understand why. Most people, primarily the young ones, nowadays are flat out lazy and at first glance it just looks like a lot of seemingly unimportant chatter. I believe it would help to greatly enlarge and boldly color the important title sections, such as "New Thread Rules"or "Read this Before Posting". I strongly believe it'll encourage at least a few more new members to at least read the most important suggestions. I'll gladly help with that given I have experience with such things.

Ill gladly add these ideas to the suggestions section, but its relevant to the topic and I'd like to see what others think about it. I also suggest a warning and new rule for new members along the lines of the following; all new threads that do not abide by forum rules will be deleted entirely regardless of the amount of replies received. Perhaps the threat, in bold large lettering, that they will get absolutely no answer will prompt them to be a little more diligent with their threads.

It's not like our forums are exactly cluttered right now. If they were, I'd be hugely concerned with unnecessary threads. As of right now, all they're doing is generating additional discussion...
The forum may not be exactly cluttered, but there is no denying that that has been a large increase is poorly written, indirect, repetitive, improperly titled and nonsensical threads. Many of us dont exactly feel encouraged to share our time and knowledge with someone who cant respectfully take the time to write a clear thought. Im sure some of you already know me for being the guy to always remark on that. Requiring numerous replies to figure out what the opening post meant, and should've explained, is a large waste of time for everyone. I would hope that having quality discussions would, at least some times, outweigh quantity of discussions. My suggestions above should help reduce the garbage long-winded threads that sometimes lead to unneeded arguments.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Just a reminder - If we want to continue to increase site activity, the #1 thing you guys can do from your end is to welcome members to the site in the New To The Site section. This is frequently the first interaction new members have with us. If we show ourselves to be a welcoming community, it makes people want to stay longer. A few members have caught onto this already and have begun consistently welcoming new members.

When you're sitting here refreshing off topic to see if anything new has been posted, take a second to drop a line to a new member in the new to site section. I'd say that's the biggest way you could help out CC. Just a suggestion ;)
There are a number of reasons. If you would like to continue the discussion, please bring it to the site suggestions forum, as you are bringing this thread off its intended topic.
Oh my bad, I thought we were talking about why no one actually joins this forum.........

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I

The forum may not be exactly cluttered, but there is no denying that that has been a large increase is poorly written, indirect, repetitive, improperly titled and nonsensical threads. Many of us dont exactly feel encouraged to share our time and knowledge with someone who cant respectfully take the time to write a clear thought. Im sure some of you already know me for being the guy to always remark on that. Requiring numerous replies to figure out what the opening post meant, and should've explained, is a large waste of time for everyone. I would hope that having quality discussions would, at least some times, outweigh quantity of discussions. My suggestions above should help reduce the garbage long-winded threads that sometimes lead to unneeded arguments.
:like:

I replied to your thread in the site suggestions section

Bloodshot - Nope.