◄► Shaking problem after 20mph ◄►

ekjose

5+ Year Member
so last week i decided to change both of my axles because they were starting to rip on the boots. i also changed the rear motor mount as well. well now when i drive the whole front end of the car shakes after 20mph. this is very annoying when you drive

ive already changed the driver side axles 3 times and the passenger side axle 2 times within the past week and nothing has fixed the problem.

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OEM axles or auto parts axles? they may be rebuilt incorrectly and balance is off in the axles.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you doing it yourself or are you haveing a shop do it chances are you threw off your alignment when ou changed your axles

ekjose

5+ Year Member
OEM axles or auto parts axles? they may be rebuilt incorrectly and balance is off in the axles.
autoparts axles

Are you doing it yourself or are you haveing a shop do it chances are you threw off your alignment when ou changed your axles
myself, and alignment problem wouldnt cause shaking.

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ could cause some though. also check your wheel bearings and tie rods to make sure their all tight

RonJ

Banned
Does the car also shake when the engine is revved in neutral?

Is there possibly a problem with the rear mount or its installation?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so last week i decided to change both of my axles because they were starting to rip on the boots. i also changed the rear motor mount as well. well now when i drive the whole front end of the car shakes after 20mph. this is very annoying when you drive

ive already changed the driver side axles 3 times and the passenger side axle 2 times within the past week and nothing has fixed the problem.
Have you gave the car a good wheel alignment?
There could also be a bent wheel that is causing the vibration.
Do you feel the vibration through the steering wheel?

Could be wheel bearings. You can check if there's play in the wheel bearings by jacking the car off the floor, lock the steering wheel in the straight position, with one hand on the top and the other at the bottom of the wheel, tug forwards and backwards. If the wheel moves then there might be play in the wheel bearing, which could cause that vibration problem.

ekjose

5+ Year Member
^^ could cause some though. also check your wheel bearings and tie rods to make sure their all tight
i took the car to tire kingdom and they said the bearings, hub and tie rods are fine.

Does the car also shake when the engine is revved in neutral?

Is there possibly a problem with the rear mount or its installation?
nah the car only shakes when its in gear
i dont see a problem with the mount, the installation went fine

Have you gave the car a good wheel alignment?
There could also be a bent wheel that is causing the vibration.
Do you feel the vibration through the steering wheel?

Could be wheel bearings. You can check if there's play in the wheel bearings by jacking the car off the floor, lock the steering wheel in the straight position, with one hand on the top and the other at the bottom of the wheel, tug forwards and backwards. If the wheel moves then there might be play in the wheel bearing, which could cause that vibration problem.
no i havent given the car an alignment but if the alignment was off it wouldnt cause a shake while its in gear. i feel the vibration on the steering wheel and the whole front end.

RonJ

Banned
With the front end on stands, does the shaking occur when the engine is revved in gear?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i took the car to tire kingdom and they said the bearings, hub and tie rods are fine.

nah the car only shakes when its in gear
i dont see a problem with the mount, the installation went fine

no i havent given the car an alignment but if the alignment was off it wouldnt cause a shake while its in gear. i feel the vibration on the steering wheel and the whole front end.
hmm... ok.. maybe the other two motor mounts need to be replaced too? does the vibration that you feel though the steering wheel increase as velocity increases? the videos didn't work for me :(

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get a wheel alignment, if you moved the front knuckles you could have bad ball joints or an "off" alignment. Is the engine doing most shaking or the whole front end? If it's the engine, do you have both tensioner mounts?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get a wheel alignment, if you moved the front knuckles you could have bad ball joints or an "off" alignment. Is the engine doing most shaking or the whole front end? If it's the engine, do you have both tensioner mounts?
Good point. It could also be ball joints.

ekjose

5+ Year Member
hmm... ok.. maybe the other two motor mounts need to be replaced too? does the vibration that you feel though the steering wheel increase as velocity increases? the videos didn't work for me :(
i noticed today that the driver side(upper) mount has a slight little tear but i dont think it would cause shaking like that. the shaking is mostly felt from 20-40 after that its not bad

So there's no shaking with the car on stands? Hard for me to tell in the videos.
yes while the car is on the lift you can feel it shake

ekjose

5+ Year Member
tensioner mount? as in torque mounts? if so than yes i have those mounts

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i noticed today that the driver side(upper) mount has a slight little tear but i dont think it would cause shaking like that. the shaking is mostly felt from 20-40 after that its not bad

yes while the car is on the lift you can feel it shake
hmmm.. you'll have to diagnose and eliminate possible problems. After you've taking suspension/drivetrain components off and apart and reinstalled, you should always do a wheel alignment.

autoparts axles

some times the clerks at the autoparts store CAN give us the wrong parts. The axles could be incorrect ones.

ekjose

5+ Year Member
hmmm.. you'll have to diagnose and eliminate possible problems. After you've taking suspension/drivetrain components off and apart and reinstalled, you should always do a wheel alignment.

some times the clerks at the autoparts store CAN give us the wrong parts. The axles could be incorrect ones.
i went to 2 different types of autoparts

In your ek, do you have the stock engine and transmission?
b16a2

RonJ

Banned
Replace the the bad driver's side mount. Are the right and left torque mounts also broken? How does the transmission mount look?