00 Civic Si - radiator fan won't turn on

RonJ

Banned
I understand to unplug the 2 wire connectors but what do you mean to short the two terminals? Sorry if I'm annoying you, I just want to learn =)
Connect/bridge the two terminals in the connector with a paperclip or piece of wire.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like this, only replace with your connector.

(just an example to explain jumping)

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
Awesome picture, I'm a visual learner lol. I will try this later.

I took these pics now, this is what I'm trying to say...

#1 picture OEM connector.
#2 picture Inside look of OEM connector
#3 aftermarket 12' fan wires, one is blue the other is black

I put the black-black
I put the blue-red

I drove around and fan doesn't spin.

How do I wire these up?

RonJ

Banned
Okay thx, so....
Connect the fan wires as you mentioned in the first post. Then jump the unplugged fan switch connector on the thermostat housing and turn the key to ON(II). Does the fan now run and blow air in the proper direction?

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
Connect the fan wires as you mentioned in the first post. Then jump the unplugged fan switch connector on the thermostat housing and turn the key to ON(II). Does the fan now run and blow air in the proper direction?
It seems complicating and I don't want to miss anything up.

But what I did was, cut my old radiator fan plug, splice it together with new radiator fan and plug them together, fan still doesn't spin when I do that.

PS: I drove the car around, turn the heater on max for 10 minutes also.

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
So what your trying to say is UNPLUG the grey connector in the picture and use paper clips as mentioned before and turn key on 2 position?

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
I did this, it WORKS.

Now what steps do I take to figure if fan will work when I'm driving somewhere?

RonJ

Banned
If your engine is not overheating, then I don't see that your radiator fan system has a problem. Just plug the fan switch back in and go from there.

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
If your engine is not overheating, then I don't see that your radiator fan system has a problem. Just plug the fan switch back in and go from there.
Ya, I think all along I installed it correctly, my car never overheated yet, however I took short trips just to be safe, but I'll take longer trips and see what happens.

Thanks

Yit0328

heres the deal your fan isn't going to turn on from 10 minutes of running unless the weather outside is like 100 degrees man your fan isn't supposed to runn all the time other wise you would be replacing the fan all the time i replaced my radiator and it took like 20 minutes of idling and then a couple minutes of like 3 to 4 grand reving for the fan and thermostat to kick in. simple lesson black wires equal ground blue or red equal power your fine with how its hooked up