'00 LX Exhaust Manifold (cracked?)

replicator

Just bought a 2000 LX civic with 79000 miles on the ODO. I'm freaking out right now, I got p0135 ECU code, which is for top o2 sensor. After removing heatshield, I found this crap:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7351381/cat/IMG_20110923_204036.jpg

Engine performs and sounds flawlessly, so could it be that exhaust manifold is fine? I haven't replaced the sensor yet, I'm about to though.

I'm a poor college student and cannot afford any major repairs...am I ok, or am I fooked?

replicator

I just sprayed some WD40 on the sensor in order to easier remove it, so that's where the spots are from.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The exhaust manifold is cracked and probably leaking. The same thing happened to mine. Just replace it, if you don't want to spend a lot of cash get one from a junkyard. It's an easy job and shouldn't cost much. If there's not a junkyard around you look on Craigslist, Honda-Tech, etc.

DaOne

Yeah seems like its a little cracked..
You can probably feel air come out from there if you put your hand around there and rev the engine a little.
Its a pretty easy fix..

replicator

@DaOne

How easy is it to fix? Everywhere I checked they say I'll require a new kit because the cat is bolted into the manifold. That's 200-700 smacks :[

Can anything be done weld-wise?

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
These exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking. You can weld it. It serves as a temporary fix til you can get another one.

replicator

Alright, thank you for the info, kind sirs.

What do you think about this replacement kit?

ATP Part # 101122 {#18160P2EA10, M327221} Includes Necessary Hardware Mtg Kit Contains 1 Manifold Gasket, 1 Dump Gasket, 2 Bolts, 3 Studs, 3 Washers, 3 Nuts
except Calif emissions; w/Integral Catalytic Converter; one-piece assembly; Mtg Kit Contains 1 Manifold Gasket, 1 Dump Gasket, 2 Bolts, 3 Studs, 3 Washers, 3 Nuts; Ductile Cast Iron Manifold Stainless Steel Converter., CARB Executive Order No. D-280-14

all for $211, shipping included.

replicator

Welded over the crack with bronze, and replaced the o2 sensor - superb performance increase, idle is smooth and the vibration is gone. Oh, ECU light is gone too! WOOT! I do realize that exhaust man weld is a temp. fix, so I'll probably order something for it. <3 my civique.