02 Civic automatic noise on right side when in drive or reverse

ChrisBMacon

I had issues with my daughters 02 civic automatic transmission and had it rebuilt. I have another issue now and do not want to take it back to the shade tree dude again. Please help. I was able to remove/install it myself with no problem.

Originally, the trana would not go into any gears and is not the case here now.

First symptom: When we are not in motion but in drive or reverse, there is a clacking/clicking like noise only on the right side. I pulled the axle and reinstalled and is set well. It drives fine and when on the road, there is plenty of power, shifts well.

I jacked up the car and allowed the left tire to spin freely while the right tire was on the floor (where it would not turn freely), put it in gear and the noise was present. Reversed the setup and while the right tire moved freely and the left tire would not, no noise was present.

Another test; while in drive but not moving, I took my body weight and placed pressure on the motor and rocked back and forth. I caused the noise to make contact with something and the noise was present. There is nothing external that I can see hitting anything that would cause this noise when not in motion. I had read one tread from last year where a gentleman discovered it to be the rubber bushing hitting something but that would only happen while in motion.

Can anyone offer a suggestion that it might be something loose only on the right side in the transmission that may cause this? It’s worse when you hit a bump on the road while in motion.

My first repair was 850.00 with me removing it and reinstalling. I’m still ahead of the game if I can figure this issue out.

Thank you much