05 honda civic, horn problems, please help!!!

roc95civic

o.k. so i got pissed and punched the steering wheel. i know, i know, stupid...very stupid considering it's not even my car. Now the horn blows when my wife turns the wheel. not every time though. the horn works fine when i press the center of the wheel it just blows when i turn the wheel. any suggestions!! please!!! anyone!!!
:cry:

xWIREMANx

Most likely you damaged the switch for the horn. It may be possible to fix the switch if you disasemble the steering wheel. Downfall to this is if you are inexperianced that you may cause even more damage. Depending on what car it is even if you do it all right you could cause an airbag light to come on which in some cases would have to be turned off at the stealership. Or even worse you could deploy the airbag and that could be very dangerous and expensive. Need some more info on what kind of car such as make model and year to know more or less what your options are.

roc95civic

o.k. the car is a 2005 honda civic. i kind of figured that the damage was behind or inside the steering wheel pad. will disconnecting the battery keep the airbag from deploying?

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When you push on the horn all you are doing is grounding it out which causes the horn to blow. When you are turning the wheel, sounds like it is grounding out. Mite be something simple but I would def be carefull with the airbag...

To be honest I'm not 100% sure if it will prevent the airbag from blowing, but I don't think it will...

roc95civic

thanks. do you know what the back side, or inside , of the steering wheel looks like? is there some sort of plate that i may have bent? do you know where i can get a diagram maybe?

roc95civic

how about pulling the horn cover off with out damaging it or setting the airbag off? any ideas?

Last edited:

jsmithe2010

This could be a very funny post, if u have a sense of humor. :D

Better be careful in proceeding. Air Bag = Gas/High Voltage electricity.

The Revenge of the Steering Wheel!

roc95civic

the steering wheel is winning ?!#$%##!??. i know i deserve the jokes and what not but please help. by the way, the air bag / paper clip trick works!

xWIREMANx

After looking into it a little it looks like you would be able to reset an airbag light on that car if you throw one. There are some video tutorials on how to do it. So first thing I would do is dissconnect the battery completely (Positive and negative terminals). Use something like a zip tie and tie together the positive and negative terminals. This will ensure that all the power drains from the vehicles electronics. It is not really needed but it is an extra precaution to maybe not throw and airbag light. Disassemble the under part of the dash and the steering column shroud. Find the plug to the airbag and disconnect it. The plug should be a two pin (two wire) plug that should be yellow or wrapped in yellow tape comong from the steering wheel. Once disconnected you shouldn't need to worry about setting off the airbag. Since you should have the shroud off by now you should be able to access the backside of the steering wheel. This is usually where you will find screws or bolts in the steering wheel that if removed will release the airbag assembly. Sometimes there are plastic caps covering the screws. From there you should be able to see your problem. That is the best I can offer and hope it helps. Take the info as just a guide as I am not responsible for any harm you cause to yourself our your car. If you feel afraid of doing it then this is one of those times you should have a real mechanic do it.