1992 Hatch DX Dogs out???

ECBadboy99

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought a DX 1.5l from an old lady I'm not sure of the shop history on it but it looks like its all original.. When im in the 2nd/3rd gears at about 4000rpm my engine kind of lags for a second and I have no ideas.. I dont want to have my local mechanic just start digging around replacing everything.. I've replaces fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, but rotor could be a problem as it looks to be rusted fast and may break if taken off though it doesnt seem to be overly worn?? Im not sure if timing belt was ever changed?? Any Ideas?????

Last edited:

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Any CEL Codes?
Does this happen on cold/wet days with the engine cold? Or does it happen even after the engine is warm?
Has this come on suddenly or did it take a while for this to onset?

Judging from what you are saying about the rotor, I would say that you have moisture under your Dizzy Cap and you needed to replace those things. Is the rust on the Center of the Rotor? If so, that is where the electrical current flows from the coil to the contact points and it will definitely need to be replaced.

You also might want to check your TPS and check for a Vacuum Leak.

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL Codes?
Does this happen on cold/wet days with the engine cold? Or does it happen even after the engine is warm?
Has this come on suddenly or did it take a while for this to onset?

Judging from what you are saying about the rotor, I would say that you have moisture under your Dizzy Cap and you needed to replace those things. Is the rust on the Center of the Rotor? If so, that is where the electrical current flows from the coil to the contact points and it will definitely need to be replaced.

You also might want to check your TPS and check for a Vacuum Leak.
^^^Take his advice, though I don't think a vacuum leak is a good fit. That would generally only cause a high or fluctuating idle.

After you check for CEL codes and replace the rotor, which is a must, also check the ignition timing with a timing gun: