1993 Del Sol Si

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My brother bought a 1993 Del Sol Si that has been sitting in my friend's backyard for over a year. The motor had blown a timing belt and bent a valve. Well, we got an intact and good condition Z6 head off a block that came with the car. The pistons in the Z6 block in the car looked fine, so we decided to reuse the block instead of going through the hassle of a minime on a B2 block. So, I swapped the heads, plugged everything back in where it goes (I'm pretty sure lol) new hoses, etc. My brother goes and gets a remanufactured distributor from Advance Auto and we put it on, and I looked over my work to make sure everything was there. Filled her up with a couple quarts of oil (he owes me lol), put the key in, and tried to let her go. Dash lights turned on, Main relay clicks (if I remember correctly, will have to double check that one, relay was replaced btw) and went to turn the key to run and the car cranked and cranked, but did not want to start. So hmm, figured well, lets start with basics.

Let me put some details down quick.
- Fuel pump is dead. (Brother refused to buy one until I got spark, dumbass, says he'll get one next weekend)
- No spark from all four plugs
- Only bad fuse is a dome light fuse
- All electrical connectors are plugged in
- Distributor was replaced twice (both reman's, starting to think these reman's are bad news)
- Main relay was replaced
- Battery is brand new

So, basically, lots of brand new s**t, still same issue. Thought I'd try and get everyone's help on this one. Greg (TigBitties) has been helping me a lot and I appreciate all the help he gives me. Yeah I'm a suck up haha. Anyways, there's the story on this shitbox. Moral of the story, don't let my brother buy cars that don't run.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your grounds and get a fuel pump...

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Grounds are alright, look like normal 20 year old grounds. lol. I guess I could go replace them while I'm at it. I have some extra 8 gauge wire laying around.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look up the coil and icm pin out test, that will give you a quick answer on the distributor. im beginning to question the ecu. no fuel or spark, both controlled by that

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup sounds like it could be an ecu problem.

But i would change the grounds also...

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man that sounds a lot like a bad main relay. Did he go with an oem relay?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look up the coil and icm pin out test, that will give you a quick answer on the distributor. im beginning to question the ecu. no fuel or spark, both controlled by that
Alright. I'll test them and make sure this remanufactured isn't junk.
Man that sounds a lot like a bad main relay. Did he go with an oem relay?
No.

99ebpem1

Is the timing correct?
When i put a new timing belt on a DA that i used to have, i accidentally had cylinder 1 at tdc on the exhaust stroke. Corrected that and fired right up.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It should be. Nothing was changed plock wise and the belt was never moved. I could turn it 180 and see what that does. All I'd have to do for that is take the dizzy off a d turn the crank PR what?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

99ebpem1

My point was that if the head was replaced then it could be on the wrong stroke. When i had the issue it would only crank and crank, but not fire. So i verified the timing and it started right up.

Remove the timing cover and make sure your timing marks line up correctly.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Can you guys not buy a car that just runs proper? Jesus f**king Christ

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can you guys not buy a car that just runs proper? Jesus f**king Christ
What do you mean? All of my cars have ran fine. Yeah, there were small issues, but at least none of mine have died or have not been running. My brother is just an idiot who thinks things get done automatically. His first car blew a timing belt 15,000 miles after he bout it. His second car ran for a month before it died, and he didn't want to listen to me when I said I knew what was wrong with it(even though the entire rear end was rotted out) and this one just takes the cake.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im going to see what my plans are for friday and saturday. if im free one of them, your ass is going to fix this car and im going to help you. but im not totally sure what my game plan is yet for those days, i got a lot of s**t to handle and would have to be back by 6

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lmao. I won't be home till Saturday afternoon. I'll be at my aunts four hours away after my placement test on Thursday.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lmao. I won't be home till Saturday afternoon. I'll be at my aunts four hours away after my placement test on Thursday.

oh yeah, you are coming to my neck of the woods lol well in that case. nevermind

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Litter ally the woods. Where my aunt lives, there's nothing.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Litter ally the woods. Where my aunt lives, there's nothing.

yup. if i leave this little ghetto neighborhood i live in, its trails, tree, and nothing. mountain cruises are fun though

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds found. Lol. Route 15 winding around the mountains towards new York gets pretty foggy in the morning.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds found. Lol. Route 15 winding around the mountains towards new York gets pretty foggy in the morning.

eh we dont do morning. afternoon and nights lol got classes to be at. the road when you start going here to the top of the mountain is fun. if only you started a semester sooner

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed you'll be leaving haha but its all good.