1993 Honda Civic PX Project, follow my progress

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
PX? I know what you're thinking. Yeah I like making up s**t as I go. PX stands for "Performance eXperiment". Basically I'm taking this little '93 Civic DX (5spd) and turning it into a streetable track day car. The car I'm starting with has a JDM motor with only 81k miles on it and a new clutch.

This car is supposed to weigh 2231lbs stock. I will be gutting this car down in every way possibly imaginable. Rear seat & passenger seat will be removed. A/C system will be removed, heater blower motor and ducts will be removed, spare tire, trunk cardboard & carpet will be removed. Sun visors, floor mats, carpet, headliner, rear seat belts, radio, speakers, and anything else will be removed. Pretty much anything that weighs an ounce will be replaced with anything I can find that's lighter. Even bolts will be removed from body panels and replaced with titanium replacements for extra weight savings. Intake will also be removed and replaced with oiled cotton element directly over throttle body with intake hose mounted to windshield cowl for induction. Hood will be replaced with carbon fibre, etc... Basically the car will be made as light as possible.

I do have some questions though.

1.) What is the weight of the stock intake system? Weight of common "short ram" intake systems?

2.) What is the weight of the stock exhaust system? What is the lightest replacement I can make/buy for it that's not insanely loud?

3.) Most econo-box cars, especially Hondas have lots of little mods that can make them more powerful or have better throttle response. What is generally recommended for these little Civics with the D15 motor? I would imagine advancing the timing, freeing up intake & exhaust, removing A/C and other power-robbers, etc...

4.) With massive weight reduction & some basic bolt-on mods what kind of 0-60 (and 60-0 braking times) can I reasonably achieve? (roughly)

5.) What kind of nitrous shots can these little motors reliably withstand? I'm thinking a good 50 shot with a WOT sensor activation and a window switch that won't allow it to kick in until over 3500rpm.

Basically I'm not worried about daily driving whatsoever (except keeping windows for when it rains, and s**t like that) I'm just looking for making it the quickest, craziest thing possible for next to no budget.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the best weight reduction i ever saw involed removing all the interior and shaving down the metal from inside of the car and then putting the interior back together... sleeper this hatch had a full interior and weighed about 1800 lbs

but you would definitely die if you crashed

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
Just curious, but anybody with a gutted 5th gen DX, what kind of gas mileage are you getting now? These cars already get fantastic mileage, I can't imagine with all of the weight out of it.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i had a hatch with no carpet, no spare, no a/c and no p/s i got about 30 city and 40 highway... i really hated that car except for the gas mileage