1994 Civic CX 1.5L (not original engine)

Golana

5+ Year Member
Well, its not my car, its my GF's car. im trying to do some research on it, because it needs a new head gasket, and possibly a new head.
First off, i looked up her VIN #, and found that the engine she was supposed to have is the D15B8. this is not what she has... the valve cover says 16 valve, which makes me think its the D15B7... but it would have to be a DX or LX for that, right? unless the engine was swapped... but if it was, then who the heck knows what it is hahaa! is there a place where i can look up casting numbers on the engine to find out exactly what it is? and whereabouts are the casting numbers located?

Thanks everyone :D

btw, im a Chevy guy hahaa!
I have a 1992 Chevy S10 ext cab 4.3L V6 manual RWD.

I dont know a whole lot about honda engines, but in the past 3 days, ive been cramming the knowledge in.

Thanks again
Steve

stdeath1101

f**k it
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
and if you can't find it, it's probably covered in grime. clean it off and let us know what you're working with

Golana

5+ Year Member
and if you can't find it, it's probably covered in grime. clean it off and let us know what you're working with
deal. im kinda dreading taking this thing down to the head gasket :S i ripped apart my toyota camry engine, and that thing was complicated as hell! (granted this was 3 years ago now, and ive gotten ALOT of experience/knowledge since then)

-=EDIT=-
where can i check the casting numbers? (is there a website that will tell me what engine i have?)

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't dread it dude! There are only like 3 hard things and they all involve the exhaust. Even without a lift, it is a pretty easy job just be sure to have metric tools. 8-10-12-14-17-19mm in socket and wrench.
Don't worry about not knowing where the plugs go. They only fit one place EXCEPT the two near the throttle body. One is MAP and one is TPS. They can physically interchange but of course that would be bad. Mark them.
Don't bother to take the intake manifold off until it is out of the car. It is a little b***h.
You will only need to remove the bracket that goes from the back of the intake manifold down to the block to get it out all together.
Don't remove the throttle cable by the adjustment nuts - just take the whole bracket off the manifold. That will give you the slack you need to maneuver it off of the throttle actuator.
There is a 17 or 19mm drain plug on the front of the block, behind the exhaust manifold. Remove it and get all the antifreeze out this way! Otherwise you will get coolant down into the combustion chamber/piston area.
If you can, I would do a valve job and replace the valve seals.

Upon reassembly, I recommend changing the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, distributor oil seal (small ring) valve cover seals, and intake manifold gasket. Exhaust gasket is probably good. Don't remove the throttle body or other components and then you won't have to replace the gaskets. Unless you want to.

Ok anyway, I don't know if I'm telling you a bunch of stuff you already know. If you want a step-by-step including tips and sizes of the bolts, lemme know. Either I or someone else on here can set it up!

Golana

5+ Year Member
Ok anyway, I don't know if I'm telling you a bunch of stuff you already know. If you want a step-by-step including tips and sizes of the bolts, lemme know. Either I or someone else on here can set it up!
yea, i'd really appreciate a walkthrough. import FI kinda freaks me out (bad experience from my yota) im sure i could figure it out, but i just really dont want to mess anything up. detailed step-by-step instructions (w or w/o pics) would be just awesome :D thanks bro

hahaa, i could rip a SBC apart and rebuild it from the ground up, but not an import engine hahaa, they are so different!

k, so we already changed the thermostat, and we are going to swap the Rad as well. we dont have any money for the timing belt, or anything else really... we are both pretty broke (i just switched jobs, and we both have rent coming up)

oh yea, D15B7

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a CX as well and it came with the D15B7 in it; They do come stock with them... if they are the newer versions of it. Either way... Have you ever done something like this on a V6 or V8? All engines are pretty much similair.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a CX as well and it came with the D15B7 in it; They do come stock with them... if they are the newer versions of it. Either way... Have you ever done something like this on a V6 or V8? All engines are pretty much similair.
Keep in mind he is a chevy guy. Most chevy engines if not all (not sure about) are push rod engines = non ohc. Completely diferent animals when pulling the head or head's off. To me OHC engines are easier and its faster to pulls the heads off, but thats just me.

Golana

5+ Year Member
Keep in mind he is a chevy guy. Most chevy engines if not all (not sure about) are push rod engines = non ohc. Completely diferent animals when pulling the head or head's off. To me OHC engines are easier and its faster to pulls the heads off, but thats just me.
hahaa yup, good ol' pushrods :D

and yea, its totally different. when i was doing my yota, it had DOHC, and it was a v6. i got so frustrated trying to get the freaking timing cover off to get the belt off, so i could get the cams off, i just about went ballistic on the engine. to me, nothing is easier to build up/tear down than a pushrod engine.

So yea, anyways... on our list of parts to get:
Radiator*
Spark Plugs
Head Gasket Kit
-Head Bolts
Oil Pan
Oil*
Oil Filter
Coolant*

hahaa, and we are totally broke right now :P payday tomorrow night though, so we will get the rest of the stuff on friday.
We'll see about the timing belt, and the water pump and stuff... we'll see how big the paychecks are :(

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok word.
I forget - does this car have 4 injectors, or is it just a Dual point? If it is DP, my instructions will be a little goofy.
Also, look to the latest revision of this for the best info. . . scroll down.

So here is the run down -
Put the car in its temporary resting place. Hopefully indoors in a roomy garage.
Remove the intake and air cleaner. It should be phillips and 10mm bolts.
Mark the position of the distributor with a marker. Remove the distributor by releasing the 3 12mm bolts and pulling. Notice the teeth that align in the cam. They are offset so unless you really force, you cannot put it back together wrong.
Unplug any sensors you can reach that are on the passenger side of the head or on the throttle body.
Remove any vac lines too. IF you're not really familiar with the engine, maybe mark them using whatever method you choose. Numbers on masking tape work well.
IMO at this time I'd get the exhaust out of the way. First, get the 3 bolts that connect the mid-pipe to the header pipe. I suggest a breaker bar and a deeper 14mm with whatever extensions you need. Maybe apply PB Blaster or a little heat from a torch if necessary. Just separate it as I don't think you actually need to remove it from the car.
There may be another b***h-bracket holding the pipe to the block. Should be 14mm.
Remove the 12mm bolts that hold the header to the head. Remove manifold and set aside.
With header out of the way, get at the drain plug there. Put your bucket under the car and get ready. It will gush. Remove the rad cap to prevent it from doing the 'glug-glug-glug' and splashing and s**t.
Separate the cable from the throttle by releasing the bracket that holds the cable, this way you do not have to adjust it later.
The upper radiator hose goes to the front of the head. Remove it from the head and just bend it back out of the way. I wouldn't remove it completely because of the risk of breaking the plastic of the radiator.
Separate the heater core hoses from the head, but leave them attached to the heater core in the firewall.
If you have cruise control, remove the bolts that hold the bracket to the body so you can peal it back. Don't separate the cable!
I find it easier to mess with the timing belt with the other belts out of the way. If you can get around them, you can probably leave the belts in place.
If you have power steering, release the tension by unscrewing the wing nuts. Just loosen the 2x 14mm bolts that hold the pump to the bracket. Loosen them like 2 turns and it should slide easy as pie. Release the alternator tension by loosening the top 12mm bolt and then the lower 14mm bolt. The lower one is easier to get at from the bottom if you have a lift.
Remember, you don't have to remove the belts from the job, just from the side of the block. They kinda hide a little rubber piece in that plastic. Behind that rubber is the tensioner for the timing belt. Just note its location.
Remove the bolts that hold a bracket from the intake manifold to the block. SHould be 12mm if you even still have it. While at that angle, look for plugs that you missed
Lets remove the fuel injector plugs. . . assuming you have 4 injectors in the fuel rail. If you are not familiar with this type of plug, you just have to release the metal clip from both sides of the injector simultaneously and pull up. Easiest done with a smallish, long flat headed screwdriver. You can kinda angle it up. Just look close and you'll see how it is done.
Separate the fuel line from the filter to the fuel rail. The pressure release is 12mm and the fuel rail fittings are 17mm as I recall. I don't think it matters which end of the line you remove, just be sure to NOT LOOSE the stupid little washers. One goes above and one goes below the banjo fitting!
Release the hose from the fuel rail to the return line. It is a weird double clamp thing. Don't worry about destroying it because we all do. Just remember to replace it when you're done.

One more thing, there may be a horseshoe shaped hose running from the thermostat area to the head. Just a 3/4" hose. Remove it from the head.

Ok, if you've done all this, you're probably 1/3 to 1/2 way done disassembling. If you did it in less than 2 hours, for your first time you're doing well I guess.
Anyone feel free to add, correct, or comment please!!!

Now, remove the 5x? 10mm nuts that hold the valve cover on. Pry gently but you may need to pry firmly. Whatever works.
Remove 2 10mm bolts that hold the top of the timing belt cover in place.
Line up the engine at TDC according to the manual, and according to whatever engine you have. It is slightly different sometimes.
Release that 14mm bolt in that special little window that I described earlier. That tensioner should release. Allow the cam to turn no more than 2 teeth if you can help it. You will need to let it slip a little just to get the belt off of the cam gear. Don't use any tools to pry it if they will mark or damage it.

Now you can see how nice and clean the engine is! Yummy!
Ok. There are 10 headbolts that are 14mm. Starting from the outside, crisscross your way from outside to inside. Check out a guide. This part is important and without an illustration, I don't wanna tell you to do something that f's s**t up.
Once they're all cracked, slacken them uniformly.
once they're all loose, I put them in a cup or coffee can together so they can wallow in oil.
Take a look all around again, there will probably be a little hose you miss and maybe the hose for the PCV, but other than that - get ready to lift. It should be about 40lbs (??) so you can do it solo. A friend helping is always cool. Pizza is great currency.

Ok. It's late and that should get you started. Like I said, anyone please feel free to add or edit. Just do 'quote' to my post here.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a CX as well and it came with the D15B7 in it; They do come stock with them... if they are the newer versions of it.
I'm fairly sure that's incorrect. I've never heard of a cx coming stock with a b7. Mine has one, but it was a swap.

To the OP, don't worry over it, pulling the head on a civic is easy as pie.

Golana

5+ Year Member
How did it go?
it didnt yet. i dont have time to touch it until saturday at the earliest :(
what really sucks is i dont have a garage or anything to put the car in to work on it, and we just got a shitload of snow and now the weather is turning bad :( i dont have ANYTHING to put the car under hahaa

if i could drive it, i would bring it to work, but thats 10 minutes away, and with the car the way it is, it wont make it.

just priced out all the stuff (i think) that everyone recommends... and we dont have enough $$ to do it all :(

also, are new head bolts needed?

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea single cam honda motors aren't too difficult when taking the head off since the head can come off without taking the cam out, where as on a dohc honda motor the cams must come out, you seem like a knowledgeable person, so if you have any mechanical experience, im sure you can handle it. good luck. Oh yea, i wouldn't say the head bolts are absolutely needed, but thats an old motor so im sure they are highly recommended.

Golana

5+ Year Member
yea single cam honda motors aren't too difficult when taking the head off since the head can come off without taking the cam out, where as on a dohc honda motor the cams must come out, you seem like a knowledgeable person, so if you have any mechanical experience, im sure you can handle it. good luck. Oh yea, i wouldn't say the head bolts are absolutely needed, but thats an old motor so im sure they are highly recommended.
alright, ill order them too. hahaa, 38.00 or so for them bolts >:(

and if i dont have to take the cam out, that'll be great, cause my v6 camry has DOHC, and it was a nightmare! so im guessing i can take the valve cover off, then go after the head bolts right away =)

this should be a quick job hopefully... i dont want to spend more than 1 day on it. i need to go to pick n pull on sunday so i can get me some relays and some more stuff for my truck :D

Golana

5+ Year Member
F*CKING B*TCH!!!!! ARRRGGG!!!!

the damn exhaust manifold to exhaust collector bolts are all f*cking stuck! and its so damn cold outside, my fingers ache! b***h!

now i have to run to the parts store and get some WD40 or Moovit or something. im so frustrated!

It better be warmer tomorrow, cause i cant deal with this s**t right now. i probably cant skip that step either... if i can, that would be wicked, cause im not into broken bolts.

tomorrow, ill drain the coolant, and start on the steps after that. so far, everything else is fine.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wd40 sucks. If they have seafoam spray get that or pb blaster. I didnt real all of the post's, but arent you just going to pull the head off? If so you dont need to f**k with the collector. Just remobe the header/manifold bolts and it should give enough to move it away from the manifold studs. I have pulled the head off my old hatch 3 or 4 times and never removed the colector. Good luck and keep us updated.