1994 Civic Sedan-what to look for?

Firescooby

5+ Year Member
I am going to look at a 1994 Honda Civic Sedan. All I know about it is a 5 speed, grey with 137k miles. I know nothing else.

What I am wondering is some things to check or look for? I've never owned a Honda, so I don't know what are the things that might be a problem.

Also, are these cars, in particular the engines, transmission and clutches pretty reliable and durable?

thanks

Grafix Ink.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Firescooby said:
Also, are these cars, in particular the engines, transmission and clutches pretty reliable and durable?
thanks
hell no the hondas and the millions of their owners have done so well because they are s**t....
sarcasim? sounds like it...put 2 and 2 together...

Last edited:

Firescooby

5+ Year Member
BBProductions said:
hell no the hondas and the millions of their owners have done so well because they are s**t....
make sense?
Now that was a very productive and mature response.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my 1995 civic dx 5speed has 200,075 miles as of today, no major problems yet. clutch is showing age, but not much, still runs great

OVNi_CIVIC

Revise
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
personal experiance, open the oil fill cap and look at the color of the parts inside. a good head will be a sort of golden brown color, if its black it has been overheated which means the piston rings could be bad, which means it wont ruin so great, might burn a whole lotta oil... if you can pull the pluggs and see how them looks, that will give you a good idea of each cylinder condition-wise, and otherwise you can take it to a dealer and they can check it for you for like 20 bucks or so...

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RiceburnerRyan said:
look for all four wheels ...
and check to make sure they are properlly torqued...... :lol:

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check to make sure the clutch doesn't slip, clean starts, doesn't bog.

hondas in general are very general and last a long time if they aren't dogged on all the time, the problem is, most hondas were driven by teenagers who just love to redline everytime they drive so they often have problems down the road.....think about the person who you are buying it from and make your own conclusions about that.

also, check the fluid levels, ask how often it was worked on, ect ect. but remember that 137k on a honda is nothing. i would suggest right after buying you go to a dealer and do a full check-up on it....allingment, compression test, ect ect....then go from there....

good luck w/ the civy!

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HAHA when i first went to look at my 4door.... uumm It had no motor, no tranny, no interior, shitty paint.....

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i went to pick up my crx...it had two doors one blue one black silver hood and no motor. but hey it makes it all more fun...lol.

RiceburnerRyan

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my car had no motor... interior was there but missing a few things... my paint is still kinda shitty and i always heard weird noises that i disregard... like squeaking and s**t