1995 Civic Starting problems

Chickenhawk

I have a 95 civic with a 1.5, 5Spd. I have a brand new main relay, good fuel pump, (pump comes on when jumped), good spark, and a good ign switch (already tested), fuses ok (underhood and dash), Have good power and ground to relay main relay only clicks once when key is "ON II" been having too much trouble with this car, had it for about a month and started having an intermittent starting issue which led me to replace the main relay, and now i cant get it to run again, OK while i was typing this the key was on and the relay decided to click and i just started the car, BUT this is not the first time this has happened to me sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesnt, no matter how hot or how cold it is it just happens randomly.

Sorry for the huge write up i am at witts end and need help! any info is greatly appreciated!

P.S. i am new to the entire Rice Burner world i have only owned older fords before!

Last edited by a moderator:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How old is the battery? What condition is wiring in? What about the starter?

Chickenhawk

Battery is good, fairly new, starter is ok vehicle cranks over just fine, from what i have seen the only changes in wiring have been for aftermarket stereo install.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How many volts is your battery? What about out of the alternator?

Chickenhawk

battery is at 12.8 v alternator charging at 13 v vehicle cranks just fine main relay doesnt click to turn on fuel pump fuses all ok, brand new main relay,.

Chickenhawk

just got done messing with it again the terminal for one of the wires on the circuit board of the main relay were not soldered correctly , re soldered it starts up perfect thanks for the help anyways!!! i will reply if i come up with any problems again!

Chickenhawk

ok well that wasnt the fix i drove it for one day and it came back now it wont start at all but I have had more luck starting it dry rather than when it is raining? go figure? i picked it up from a buddys house where i had to leave it overnight and it started fine(bright sunny day) drove home where it was raining went to go somewhere and it decided not to start again im tired of this problem and i need some help with diagnosing the problem and pin pointing it!

relay only kicks on once but when it does work there is a delay on the fuel pump priming

Last edited by a moderator:

Randleb

Respected
maybe bad ground somewhere, i just bought a hatch and cant get it to start at all. engine cranks but wont fire, was a fresh rebuild, its getting spark, starters good, new main relay fuses all good but when i spray starter fluid in the manifold it still wont start, not exactly sure what to do

Chickenhawk

well it happened again today and i re-checked everything, and still same results but this time i opened up the dist. and barely went to pull the rotor off and it kicked on, BUT i have left it alone before and sometimes it comes on without me doing anything, so could it actually be something is the distributor Or?

The Rude HB

5+ Year Member
check your fuses first.
I had starting problems with my car first week i bought it.

After everything I bought to fix the damn thing, it was all because of a stupid fuse

Swerv

If it doesnt turn over at all try banging on the starter, the starter solenoid likes to get stuck on these cars.

Zer0cool

I have same issue so i understand ur pain lol i have replaced so much so far lol pump filter relay plugs wires dist cap and plate...does urs have a push button start? Mine does bout to replace that too all my fuses are new traded them all out...still no change...starts fine when its hot and dry out but any moister in the air i have to wait like 20-30 min b4 the fuel pump kicks on