1995 d15b7 automatic trans unorthodox build/ WIP

anomoly23

Jrsc

I found a JRSC kit for a d16, I am seeing if it needs to be rebuilt or what it needs if the kit is Legit this may turn into a supercharged civic build!! I am weighing the options of going with a mini me or just straight supercharging it. If I can get the super charger kit for a good price Im going to get it because those Jackson racing kits don't show up to much and when they do I never have the money. Either way by next week or the week after I should be doing one or the other. I already have all my parts sourced for the Mini me build. Man if I can get this supercharger I might cream my pants I have wanted one forever:nod::headbang::nod::headbang: If I do I am going to have a brand new Skunk2 IM to sell and possibly 70mm TB that im not sure would fit on the supercharger kit lol

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
supercharging it will be a waste of time. if the kit is missing ANY parts at all, do NOT buy it.... its almost impossible to find pieces to the kits these days. also, they break belts quite regularly...

just a heads up.

anomoly23

New pic

Here is the engine bay with Golden Eagle fuel rail installed, and I added a pic of the NRG torque damper I installed too=). I am only going to pick up the JRSC if its a full kit which I think it is:D:D Ya I know the belts can be dodgy but s***s like that with most performance upgrades im willing to take it!! lol Im am still on the fence again if not the supercharger I am surely doing a mini me d16z6 swap. Theres a pic of my new Megan Racing muffler too. Probably get that put on next week sometime.

Last edited:

anomoly23

Car at jmo

So dropped of my Car at JMO yesterday, come to find out the TC I bought for this car was for a 1996 hatch:???::???::???: Pretty frustrated since this was adveritised for my model.:evil::evil:So I am returning that one and JMO is going to custom build and tune me one using my original TC. With all the Mods this is certainly the quickest automatic civic I personally have ever been in, I am really excited to see how much power I will regain lost in stock TC's. I really think it is the biggest link when trying to make HP on an automatic, or should I say usable HP because I could make a 1000HP automatic but if I have a stock tranny and TC it dont mean s***:D. In my opinion unless you do this Mod or something similar to your TC theres no point in hoping up an automatic because all that power you make will never be put to the wheels on a stock setup TC. These guys do all the TC's for the fullerton Police Department, and you know those things get abused;). In 2002 they also became affiliated with Toyotas TRD department in making custom TC setups for them. I am confident this will be the best upgrade to date and I am super excited to get it back! I have to say the price was very reasonable for the work, it cost about the same for my custom set up with oil cooler, custom TC, and tuning then it would be to fully rebuild the transmission with no upgrades, and they are replacing all the seals! So although the original TC was wrong it looks like it worked out for the better and I am excited as hell!! As for the JRSC I am still haggling with the guy, he seems to think he can still sell it for $500 under original retail:rolf: I told the guy he was smoking crack and when he cant sell it because no one wants a $1600 paper weight to call me. I said maybe 3-5 years ago you could get that price but the parts are impossible to find. No normal person is going to buy the SC when you can Turbo your car for half the price and get the same if not better results. But I told him he was in luck because I am not normal :D and I want to supercharge my civic but I cant gamble close to $2000 on something that I may never be able to use especially since I would have to spend close to $1000 to get an AEM series2 tuning module to make it run properly. So we will see what he says, hopefully I can make him see the error of his pricing lol If I dont get the SC kit like I said most likley going to do a mini me, or a nitrous set up. The Megan racing exhaust is going on next week sometime as well. When all this is done I am going to start in on the looks, as for now shes a little sleeper:D My goal for this car is to be able an humble some b-series fanboys, not only by beating them with a d-series but an automatic d-series lol We will see how that pans out:redcar: No but really I wanted to showcase this because for years I have seen people asking for info on how to hop up their D-series engine and 90% of the time the answer was "b-series swap!" I really got frustrated and sick of seeing this because to me thats should not be the answer, as if b series are the only engine in the world that can be modified? Come on, its just the most widely used and the Lazy way out In my opinion. To me that answer is like saying,"Just buy new ferrari they are way faster than civics and you don't have to do any mods!" Well Thats not the point we know ferraris are faster than civics but I have a civic d16 and I want to mod that I don't want to buy something else. So thats what I say to all those people who say "B-series swap"! I don't have a b-series and I dont want to swap it I want to use my mother f***ing d-series and I want helpful information towards doing so, I know I can swap it to a b-series and I don't f***ing want too!! lol Sorry just had to get that out there lol Hopefully people will see this thread and know there are all kinds of options out there you just have to work a little harder in some cases, and thats the case with the d-series. Most every mod I did took some extra fabrication being that it was automatic and an unusual engine to mod. The only things that didn't require extra work and were straight bolt on were fuel filter, headers, and fuel pump. Everything else required some kind of mod to fit the car properly. Anyways thats enough ramble for this update. Ill have pics and an update when the car is back from JMO.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that torque converter isnt going to make you that much faster honestly... and unless you do major internal work or turbo it, you wont beat any B swapped cars. trust me, i had a nice all motor D setup.

anomoly23

Well I figure this, I found a company that can get me a forged SRP pistons and pauter xbeam rods for a good price on my model. The Pistons will raise the CR to about 10:5:1 which is about around what you end up with on a mini me swap with a d15 bottom end and d16z6 top end. I am thinking right now I got this up to at least 110hp-120 hp somewhere in that range from the full fuel system, IM, exhaust, headers, Throttle body, ignition system. With the raised compression ratio from the forged internals and a 75 shot of nitrous I do not see why I couldn't be up near or at at 200 HP range, maybe more with a AEM tuner and a good tune. I think it will give some b-sries a run for their money.:lol: I don't know like I said this is constantly evolving. And I don't expect it to come back an be like a miracle Mod but if you have ever driven a stock Honda auto tranny they are horrible! They shift at the wrong times they shift rough and are all around bad for going fast, they are built for economy and comfort. As someone who has driven a few I know there is going to be a major change in drivability and definitely in my take offs because the high stall rate. The autos accelerate so slowly because the TC kicks in WAY below the power band. So according to JMO and few I have heard use them this will improve your take offs (ETAs for draggers) because the high stall rate allows the engine to get to its powerband before the TC fully engages. This also allows you to hold the throttle at a higher RPM before it drops it into gear(or starts to move forward), like you would on a manual. They say it will improve acceleration, all around drivability, and save gas. I guess I will find out though ya:lol: Here is a link to the site which has good info on it about automatic TC's. The truth is Automatics if configured properly can outperform any skilled driver using a manual transmission, so there are many gains fromt his upgrade and I cant wait to get it back.

http://www.jmousa.com/us/flash/frame/index.html

Last edited:

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I figure this, I found a company that can get me a forged SRP pistons and pauter xbeam rods for a good price on my model. The Pistons will raise the CR to about 10:5:1 which is about around what you end up with on a mini me swap with a d15 bottom end and d16z6 top end. I am thinking right now I got this up to at least 110hp-120 hp somewhere in that range from the full fuel system, IM, exhaust, headers, Throttle body, ignition system. With the raised compression ratio from the forged internals and a 75 shot of nitrous I do not see why I couldn't be up near or at at 200 HP range, maybe more with a AEM tuner and a good tune. I think it will give some b-sries a run for their money.:lol: I don't know like I said this is constantly evolving. And I don't expect it to come back an be like a miracle Mod but if you have ever driven a stock Honda auto tranny they are horrible! They shift at the wrong times they shift rough and are all around bad for going fast, they are built for economy and comfort. As someone who has driven a few I know there is going to be a major change in drivability and definitely in my take offs because the high stall rate. The autos accelerate so slowly because the TC kicks in WAY below the power band. So according to JMO and few I have heard use them this will improve your take offs (ETAs for draggers) because the high stall rate allows the engine to get to its powerband before the TC fully engages. This also allows you to hold the throttle at a higher RPM before it drops it into gear(or starts to move forward), like you would on a manual. They say it will improve acceleration, all around drivability, and save gas. I guess I will find out though ya:lol: Here is a link to the site which has good info on it about automatic TC's. The truth is Automatics if configured properly can outperform any skilled driver using a manual transmission, so there are many gains fromt his upgrade and I cant wait to get it back.

http://www.jmousa.com/us/flash/frame/index.html
you dont need AEM to tune with... you can run NepTune RTP in a chipped P28 for tuning. its way cheaper and just as effective.

i had well over 10.5:1 CR in my built D16 with the Si manual trans, and supporting mods, and it would only keep up with a Bseries. getting 200HP out of an N/A Dseries is a challenge, and requires a lot of money and well picked parts. even with nitrous, the automatic will be your downfall. they arent geared to go fast.

i however, am glad to see you building an auto (pretty rare in the honda world) and have a good sense of direction for the build.

anomoly23

you dont need AEM to tune with... you can run NepTune RTP in a chipped P28 for tuning. its way cheaper and just as effective.

i had well over 10.5:1 CR in my built D16 with the Si manual trans, and supporting mods, and it would only keep up with a Bseries. getting 200HP out of an N/A Dseries is a challenge, and requires a lot of money and well picked parts. even with nitrous, the automatic will be your downfall. they arent geared to go fast.

i however, am glad to see you building an auto (pretty rare in the honda world) and have a good sense of direction for the build.
Hmm neptune RTP you say I will have to look into that :thumbs up because the AEM seriesII is at least $1100 Bucks, But it is super user friendly and easy to use and install. I would compare it from buying an APPLE computer to buying a PC. Yes PC's are cheaper and more powerful at times but the user friendliness and flow, and ease of use is what you pay for on the Apple stuff IMO. I knew I had my work cut out for me ,but I was prepared mentally and pretty prepared on the financial part too.:D Im glad to have yours and the others support and feedback, in the end I think its gonna be a cool project no matter what I decide to do.:P

emerican

Registered VIP
sorry about the tc man, but it seems like your coming out pretty good on them sending the wrong one.

anomoly23

Car coming home tomorrow

Going down to JMO tomorrow to pick up the civ. I cant wait its fully tuned, got the speedo working again, transmission is fully built and ready for whatever I throw at it. Mark at JMO is really cool and knows his stuff. I will right a full review of how it feels tomorrow. Throwing on the megan racing exhaust over the weekend or next week as well, comin along.=)=)

anomoly23

car running really rich

So I got my muffler installed yesterday after I got it back from JMO and it now seems the car is running really rich. I knew it was running rich before but now its real bad. Theres no exhaust leaks, but psi is at almost 50 with Vacuum on. I am ordering an aem FPR because I am almost sure it has to do with my fuel system being fully modified accept for the FPR. I think the muffler was the last straw the ECU could handle i think its almost about time to consider a chip or some type of tuning module because I think the stock ecu cant compensate for all the extra air and fuel Im jamming into it now. Any ideas suggestions? I want to post a video for the TC but I dont want to until I got the engine running properly, at the very least i think I need to get the adjustable FPR and back off the PSI a few.:lol:

anomoly23

New developments

So there have been a few developments in this build since I last posted. First off the TC feels great, although the engine isn't running up to par because its so rich, the TC is a huge improvement over stock. At WOT the TC doesn't shift until around 7k which is redline. The stall rate is about 400 higher than stock, really helps keep the engine in the power band. It shifts a lot like a manual now, so much so that it was a little annoying when I got stuck in traffic but its ok I dont plan on driving it in traffic much. Its way quicker when passing on the freeway and seems like it will help save gas cause you dont have to be on the gas as much to stay in the power band.

I don't even want to run the car until I get this rich condition figured out because I dont want to burn a valve or rings. I have the AEM FPR on its way so i will be able to dial the Fuel pressure back down to about 45 maybe 43, its running at 50 psi right now and I know thats why its running so rich. These RC fuel injectors are rated at 350cc's@43 or 45 psi I cant remember but that being said this engine is being drowned in fuel right now. I also found out that when this motor was swapped last it was replaced with a ZC sohc, which on the outside looks Identical to a d15b7, so I never looked or questioned. but after some things came up with parts I went and just looked at my block :oops: and saw it was a ZC. So this is a 1.6L JDM ZC SOHC non-Vtec (still a very rare engine). Looks like a lot of parts from the d15 and d16a6 fit this engine, so right now I am reconsidering everything now that I have a better engine to work with than I thought.:D:D

Last edited:

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dude. find the enter button on your keyboard and use it to separate your thoughts.

see how this works? its nice and easy to read.

i like the CJ8 u got in the background. needs some love though.

anomoly23

Jmo tc video

[YOUTUBE="JMO TC 1995 Honda civic"][/YOUTUBE]Ok So I finally got everything running correctly on the car. The MAP sensor needed to be replaced that fixed the

ide fluctuations, and the new AEM FPR allowed me to dial the Fuel pressure to a more normal 43 Psi. Its running

great now. I might need to dial it up to 45 but the 50 it was at before I am pretty sure is too much for my N/A

setup. anyways heres the vid, i still got a lot more work to go on the engine to get her to where I want but shes

coming a long good now. I ordered some 16" konigs that I should have on by the weekend, slowly working the

outside now.:headbang::headbang::headbang: Heres the link really couldnt figure out why the video wouldnt

embed correctly.

http://youtu.be/0ZQenF5bIsM

anomoly23

its going to be a great build
Thanks for checking it out Yellow and everyone else.:party2::party2:

I have made up my mind to go with a TSI T20 Turbo Kit for this build. I think this will be the best fit for my needs

and this engine. Most likely I am going to be running stock internals with a three layer gasket. Only going to run

this kit at 6 psi if I do decide to run stock internals. This kit is set up for low boost stock cars. I dont plan on

going over 180 HP. Im looking for a fun reliable car. If I can swing the money I am going to upgrade the internals

but not sure if its worth it if I do not plan on running over 6 psi, we will see.=) Got the Konigs on, I will have pics

up of it later. Thanks for checking out my build all.:headbang::headbang::headbang:

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you could do a vitara build, and run a bigger turbo with more boost for pretty cheap.