1995 EX questions

Goataru

Mmm...Snaustrich.
5+ Year Member
Hi, I am new to the forum, as well as to Civics. My wife was a big fan so I thought I would pick up a car to work on for her, and also to see what I could tune it into. It currently has a d16y8 swap in it, with vtec, and was converted from AT to MT, the ECU was never changed over(Running with a nonvtec AT brain). First question would be does anyone have an ecu/harness for sale? Second, where is a good place to look for one and whats the best way to swap them over? Have been told I can get conversion harnesses but I havent seen any around. Also is the d16 a good one to keep in the car or should I go for something else, and if so what would be a good swap for it. The one in it now should be out of a 00 civic.

TypeRR

5+ Year Member
i would stick with the obd1 harness the ex actually came with VTEC So the ECU should have it too the computer that came in it was probably a 37820-P28-A51 which is an automatic one your going to need a 37820-P28-A02 which is a manual tranny with VTEC best place to Find one Is Salvage yard The D16 Are pretty good engines to have. if ur going to wanna Race it i suggest a B-Series swap

Goataru

Mmm...Snaustrich.
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the info, live in an area that most people deal with american muscle and not all too many tuners floating around. Sadly no Civic's anywhere near my year in any of the local scrap yards. Not 100% sure if my harness has vtec on it, I just know that the vtec is not hooked up currently, friend of mine that knows about the most for local people said if I got a brain we could add wires to it to get the vtec running so had just assumed the brain was a nonvtec, its not that I dont know about cars, just havent worked on many newer ones, grew up on and stuck around older ones.

Goataru

Mmm...Snaustrich.
5+ Year Member
Turns out its a 95 DX, I feel stupid. How much does that change the above info? Sorry about that, has no markings on it so was looking at the title to make sure and turns out I suck.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Turns out its a 95 DX, I feel stupid. How much does that change the above info? Sorry about that, has no markings on it so was looking at the title to make sure and turns out I suck.
still not a problem. all you need is to get a chipped p28 for a manaul trans like mentioned above or get a p2p ecu for a manual trans. then run your vtec wires and your set. there should be a how to floating around here somewhere. also was the car converted to obd2 or was the motor converted to obd1?