1995 Honda Civic D157 MINI STOCK CAR

thubbs

Hey guys! I'm building a 1995 civic LX mini stock car for short oval track racing. I'm sure of what I want to use for suspension setup, but I'm looking for some tips on what modifications I can do motor wise that isn't extremely noticable.

I've read on flashing the P28 Ecu to get rid of the rev limiter and do some fuel mapping, Any tips?

I've heard of a two piece intake that came factory, what motor did that come on and will it work with the D15, are there any spacer plates available to split the intake at all?

What throttle bodies will bolt up to said intake, or my stock intake that allow for some more flow?

Any more tweaks that will help me keep up with all the other cheaters would be greatly appreciated lol. Will post pics during the build.

Last edited:

civicmand16y7

Registered VIP
if the motoer still has the gard on the timing belt you can try put i timming gear on it. i use e3 spark pluges you can try them you also can try biger plug wires you also can try chiping the ecu or just get another one like a p72 which is a b18 ecu ive had one on my d16 and it ran pretty good or if you can afford it do a motor swap to a d16z6 that is v-tec motor....if you do that you can put v-tec on a switch that is if the p28 dosnt control v-tec which it should you also can try porting and polishing the head/throttle body thats all i can think of right off hand.....ohh one more thing try to loose as much weight as you can

thubbs

I've got the weight right where I need it, 2200 lbs is my minimum and Im sitting at 2206. A vtech swap is against our track rules or I would def find a good JDM motor. Do you know of any other B blocks that run higher flow injectors or a bigger sized throttle body that'll bolt on to a stock D15 intake? I've cut the head down as much as I can but can't port it becuase they have us pull the manifolds and check if we've done any porting work (which is against the rules). Would you recommend chipping the stock ECU or running a P72, What difference did you notice?

DaOne

so pretty much you wanna cheat? but dont want them to notice? o.O

ImThaBean

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats dirty track racin'... one of the guys at work runs american stock, sport compact, and lawn mowers. He gave me the rules on SC motors since I was the inhouse honda guy.. I told hm he was really limited on what he can do. Its rough... Especially since tracks are banning the VTEC engines.

ImThaBean

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As for mods... D-series.org will be a haven for N/A engine building..

Throttle bodies.. Its long been roumors that basically all honda TB's are on th same bolt pattern and will bolt up to all intake manifolds.

Here is a run down of upgrades from a stock LX motor.
IIntegra Type R =62mm
Civic Type R=60mm
Integra GSR=60mm
B16A2= 60mm
B16A1=58mm

civicmand16y7

Registered VIP
when i had my buddys p72 in my d16y7 it pulled pretty heard with out vtec and oh my god with vtec lol but im not sure about the throttle body question if you dont go with the p72 ecu and go with a chiped p28 i owuld try to find another p28 and try the chipped on and the stock on out to see wich one you like

thubbs

Eeeeveryone in this class cheats, one of my buddies is running a stock 91 prelude with a fresh motor and some pretty expensive gear, but hasn't taken the time to do any tweaks and he's finishing at the back of the pack every race. I'd like to think its just the driver but the points leader in this series runs the exact same 91 prelude and his lap times are a second faster... given the similarities of these cars you can really tell what people aren't running 100% stock. Even the tech inspector at the track told me that if I'm not running some sort of modifications from stock configuration that there isn't any point in taking the car off the trailer. I don't like cheating just as much as the next person but Im also not going to build a 2000 doller stock car just to finish last every weekend lol.

L.D.Forget

theres a lot of fail in this thread...

You cant expect a ECU from another car to run your motor properly... If you want it to run good, get it tuned. Stuff you can do without it showing on the outside? bottom end work, you can do head work, just dont port it. You can get a b18b1 tb and a d16z6 intake manifold to increase your air intake as well as get a SI exhaust to open up the exhaust a bit. Having a Type R or H22a throttle body on your small d16 intake manifold will be pointless and a waste of money because the throttle body can only let in as much air as the intake manifold will let you. If they dont inspect the intake manifold, then go ahead and do some porting on the manifold and get a better throttle body. Most of all, after everything is done bring it to a good tuner(zeeman, also known as andrew at High Velocity Tuning) and they can squeeze every ounce of hp out of that motor with it still being reliable. As for fuel injectors...first, read this :

http://www.hondaclub.com/forum/articles/2821-how-properly-size-fuel-injectors.html

then read this :

http://www.robietherobot.com/Storm/fuelinjectorguide.htm

A all motor D series is expensive to get any real power out of it...check out www.d-series.org You can get high compression pistons to bump power also. Hope this helps, good luck with the cheating.

thubbs

Yeah he does...

Can someone who has spent some time around a circle track please chime in here! this isn't cheating compared to what most of the guys are running in this class.. any aspect of motor building has been snuck past the tech guys there, I'm just trying to keep up with everyone else lol.

L.D.Forget

Can someone who has spent some time around a circle track please chime in here! this isn't cheating compared to what most of the guys are running in this class.. any aspect of motor building has been snuck past the tech guys there, I'm just trying to keep up with everyone else lol.
did you totally skip my post...

thubbs

no no no! thats great info! that D series forum is going to help me loads thanks a lot man! I'm just joking about getting slagged for cheating lol.

thubbs

oh man, that injector guide is awesome too... How do you suppose I could figure out the duty cycle of two sets of stock injectors? is it safe to use 80% as a figure? gonna have to do some more homework.

L.D.Forget

im sorry, i posted the wrong fuel injector calc
http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

you have to do them seperately..currently your injectors are 240cc, which is good for up to 146 hp used at 80% duty cycle. If you want anymore hp than that, your going to want bigger injectors, but your going to have to have supporting mods to get that hp as well like the ones i mentioned above (bigger throttle body, intake manifold, exhaust). Some injectors you may be interested in are the h22a prelude injectors, like mine. Their 345 cc and good up to 210 hp.

thubbs

Those are exactly the injectors Im planning on using, I did some research and the intake on the ZC motor will work great, Im going to machine a throttle body that will use a bigger butterfly valve and use an inline fuel pump that works with my fuel cell that pumps up to 50 P.S.I. This was great advice man thanks a ton. As far as an exhaust manifold, Im going to hunt down a SI mani, but that might be a little harder to find, so I think I've done all the "breathing" work I can do for now. Have you ever heard of a two piece intake? someone mentioned it but didn't mention the motor it came on, apparently it separates half way through the intake runners. If this is the case I'm going to machine a spacer plate that will separate the intake a little, almost like a riser on a carb, should work in the same manner.

L.D.Forget

i think your talking about the intake with secondaries, ill take pictures and post mine tomorrow. Mines on a H22a motor, but it might be available on other motors. If you cut yours its going to be obvious that you did it so you probably wont get past inspection. The thing about the ZC intake is that its a ODB-0 motor, and the sensors may not match up to yours. Instead of getting a inline fuel pump, just get a walbro 255lb fuel pump off ebay. Most people use them for turbo applications and stock upgrade, and their like 100 bucks off ebay. Also they appear stock when installed.

L.D.Forget

One thing i forgot to mention,before you can use the larger injectors, you have to get your car tuned otherwise you will be running WAY too rich.

civicmand16y7

Registered VIP
theres a lot of fail in this thread...

You cant expect a ECU from another car to run your motor properly... If you want it to run good, get it tuned. Stuff you can do without it showing on the outside? bottom end work, you can do head work, just dont port it. You can get a b18b1 tb and a d16z6 intake manifold to increase your air intake as well as get a SI exhaust to open up the exhaust a bit. Having a Type R or H22a throttle body on your small d16 intake manifold will be pointless and a waste of money because the throttle body can only let in as much air as the intake manifold will let you. If they dont inspect the intake manifold, then go ahead and do some porting on the manifold and get a better throttle body. Most of all, after everything is done bring it to a good tuner(zeeman, also known as andrew at High Velocity Tuning) and they can squeeze every ounce of hp out of that motor with it still being reliable. As for fuel injectors...first, read this :

http://www.hondaclub.com/forum/articles/2821-how-properly-size-fuel-injectors.html

then read this :

http://www.robietherobot.com/Storm/fuelinjectorguide.htm

A all motor D series is expensive to get any real power out of it...check out www.d-series.org You can get high compression pistons to bump power also. Hope this helps, good luck with the cheating.
you have point about the ecu but this isnt a street car its a race car. he will only be driving it once a week maybe 30 to 45 min tops the hole night i grew up on a dirt track i know what im talking about what you have said is right im not try to desrepect you at all im just going on 15 some ode years of experience but dont get me wrong i do know a good bit about 4cly.....he aslo can try using a light wight fly wheel to get to power bang quicker and using a high compression pistion or motor very good idea i didnt even think about that

thubbs

The only problem with high compression pistons is the compression test that they sometimes throw at us... although they likely don't know what compression this car should run anyway lol. The flywheel is going to get turned when I have the motor apart. Anybody know of any place in central ontario that would tune a honda without me giving them my life savings?