1995 honda civic lx failed smog

TeeJay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey guys,

I have my 1995 honda civic lx and it failed smog. the problem is that there is high emission. it has 135,000 miles on it. after it failed i changed the spark plugs, and i was just wondering if there is anything else i can do to pass smog.

thanks!

Naught260

5+ Year Member
Emissions tests take multiple readings. What they check for varies from state to state. What state do you live in and what reading did you fail? I used to work emissions, so I might be able to at least give you some advice, but you're definitely not giving anyone much to work with here.

RonJ

Banned
Emissions tests take multiple readings. What they check for varies from state to state. What state do you live in and what reading did you fail? I used to work emissions, so I might be able to at least give you some advice, but you're definitely not giving anyone much to work with here.
Agreed.

OP, post a copy of the emissions sheet you were given.

typeR[ivi]

5+ Year Member
hi emission? Was the fuel mixture too lean? Too much gas in the cylinder?

I had 2 cars that couldtn pass smog, and all it was, was just the freakn o2 sensor.

With a faulty o2 sensor, it can send wrong messages to your cars computer system. And it will adjust to "Normal Conditions", so it would mess up.

TeeJay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry about the very late post! My scanner is broken right now but i can type some of the stuff. On the last part of the sheet, the top says:

ASM Emission Test Results

NO (PPM)
MAX AVE MEAS
15mph - 731 150 1386
25mph - 798 136 1342

(MAX and MEAS were the only ones highlighted, not AVE.)

Can this information help at all? If not, please let me know what else on the sheet i can post up. Thank you!

Naught260

5+ Year Member
If your NOx readings are high, then you're running lean. Congratulations, high readings in this category are the toughest to diagnose, lucky you!

I'd have to see the readings in the other categories to tell you if a cat would help or not. A scan of the results sheet would help a whole lot. I know you can't get it but try to find a way.

Start with the O2 sensor.

And get online. Google "failed emissions test high NO" and see what comes up. You'll get a lot of good info that way.

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes?

For high NOX levels, start by checking whether the ignition timing is off, the fuel pressure is low, and the engine is running hot.

TeeJay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for the help guys, ill try to scan it and ill put it up asap.