1996 Ex D16y8 Ecu????which Chipped Ecu Should I Use???

Project "H"

Project "H" Racing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was just wondering if anyone knew what chipped ecu i should use for my 96 EX D16Y8 OBD2 I was thinking the P28 but im not to sure.

EGsr27

EK'in it now!!
5+ Year Member
are you running Crome? To my knowledge (limited as it may be on this subject), if you are running Crome you can use a p28,p30,p30G, or a p72. Im not too familiar with the p30 or p30g, but I believe that the main difference in p28 and p72 is a knock sensor. p72s have it, p28s dont. If Im wrong, someone please let me know. This is just what I remember from talking to a buddy of mine who chips ECUs.
If its obd2 I think you need a jumper harness though.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why are you wanting to use a chipped ecu???

If you want to run obd1 all you need is a obd2a-obd1 jumper harness and a manual p28. That will run your fine and be obd1.

If you want to run a chipped ecu because of performance mods you have any obd1 ecu will work that has been chipped. It's easiest to find a chipped p28. I have a chipped p72 ecu. You can use a variety of obd1 ecu's, p30, p06, p75, etc.

Then you choose what program you want to run, hondata, crome, uberdate, etc. Then if you don't know how to tune on that program you need to find a tuner.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why are you wanting to use a chipped ecu???

Im tring to get my car tuned for my mods
Since you have a vtec motor I would run either a chipped p28, p72 or p30. They have the vtec boards already in them and you won't have to worry about that.

Then have the chipped tuned for your motor.

www.phearable.net

you can call them and they can send you out a good base map chipped ecu. They also sell jumper harness's which you will need

Project "H"

Project "H" Racing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok thanks for all the help bro i was thinking on using the p28 since its out of a civic ex anyways.