1997 civic EX how many and where are the catalytic converter/s located PLEASE HELP!!

johnmota93

Hey everyone I have a 1997 Civic EX 4-Door Sedan that i just bought about a month ago. It needs some work but a problem i recently saw was my exhaust manifold dosnt have a catalytic converter attached to it? but i looked at the exhaust piping under the car and i have a catalytic converter like under the driver seat attached there, my bro has a 98 civic LX 4-door and he has a catalytic converter attached to the exhaust manifold and it looks like one under the car about the same location as the one in my EX so i asked around and some people tell me i need both catalytic converters? and i heard from some others that the EX trim comes with one catalytic converter under car and the other models DX CX LX have both catalytic converters ? So im really confused cuz i dont know if i need to get a new catalytic converter(expensive) or if im good with the one i already have in my EX??
Please help anyone that knows i would really appreciate it thanks

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For your car, the catalytic converter should be after the header and before the midpipe of your exhaust. From what you explained that's exactly where it is (approx. under the driver's seat). I believe because you have a D16Y8 & for your brother's car the stock catalytic converter should be the lower section of the headers on the manifold (D16Y7).

I'm not 100% sure if the LX comes with dual catalytic converters.. could be the resonator..?

and what "problems" are you having that you believe the cat is giving you?

johnmota93

ok yea its under the car around the drivers side and yea you cant see it from the motor you have to look under the car but my brothers is right next to the block easy to see probably cuz his is a d16y7 and mine well i swapped a d16A is d16y8 based right?and yea my bros car im not sure if its a catalytic converter but it looks sort of like it about the same location where my cat is...
O im not sure if the cat is giving me problems i just wanted to know to see if i need to install one i know i need to have a cat legally so i want to see if the cat under my car is the only one i need?
And its straight piped theres no muffler connection its just soldered all together so i want to get new exhaust piping from my exhaust manifold to my exhaust know any good deals out there?

CO671

Registered VIP
D16Y7 engines (CX/DX/LX) have a catalytic converter welded into the exhaust manifold, with an upstream (primary) o2 sensor closer to the bolting area due to the close cat, and the downstream (secondary) o2 sensor right after the catalytic converter. You may be confused with a resonator.

D16Y8 engines (EX) have a catalytic converter in the practical spot on an exhaust system, right after the exhaust manifold and/or the downpipe. The downstream (secondary) o2 sensor is again located immediately after the catalytic converter, but in this case, further towards the middle of the car.

Yes, you're fine. Actually, EX Civic owners have it much easier than the CX/DX/LX/ (non-vtec) owners. You can easily buy a new catalytic converter and bolt it onto your exhaust.

Us (i am including myself) CX/DX/LX owners would need to replace the whole manifold, catalytic converter and downpipe and stretch the o2 sensor further down. Which may cost AT CHEAPEST ~$150 all together (header + downpipe, gasket, catalytic converter, o2 sensor extension or DIY, and pay for labor if desired)

johnmota93

Alright thanks so i only have the catalytic converter under the car (right after the exhaust manifold and/or the downpipe) right? And all cars have 1 catalytic converter right the one on my bros LX is on the manifold and then yea the resonator is under not the 2nd cat and my cat is under the car...

Thank you very much i was about to buy a cat for like 200$ but now i know that one is the cat so im just gonna change my exhasut and manifold..
And speaking of that i need a new exhaust manifold mine got the crack on it i was thinking about getting a racing one on ebay but dont know if iits legal and if it would help my car out (power wise) do you know anything about that? thanks

johnmota93

O and thank you for the diagram it really helped know where i can find one of the exhaust piping?

Ok well my exhaust is straight piped so i want to change that because i have a Honda TYPE R exhaust that i want to install but i cant on my straight pipe because its all welded i have no flang to connect to so im thinking of getting the whole exhaust including the manifold and piping with the cat that goes underneath up to the flang so i can connect my type r exhaust only thing is prices ive been seeing around here is about 300$ for everything :/

CO671

Registered VIP
Here's the diagram for your car
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-catalog/honda/civic/1997/4dr-ex/ka5mt/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel/exhaust-pipe

If you're going ebay, don't expect it to last long. Just buy a header w/ downpipe, the gaskets and bolts and a catalytic converter. About $40-$120 for the header + downpipe, if you get a catalytic converter separately, it'll be $20-$100. Look in craigslist/used sections/classifieds/local forums/facebook local sales too.

Also, I/H/E (Intake/headers/exhaust) give no power gains to stock D-series Civics. No matter what ANYBODY says, even if it's +5hp after spending $100 on intake, $500 on headers, and $600 on exhaust, it's still not noticeable and not worth it.

johnmota93

o really there stainless steel ? so i should get some oem manifold and piping from a junkyard or sumthing? really damn well either way my manifold is rusted and cracked bu t i should get oem instead of aftermarket then right?

CO671

Registered VIP
I'd rather go OEM, even if it's old and not as shiny as a $50 e-gay. It may be a cheaper route too if you can find one for under $75 go for it. But for a catalytic converter, get a new one.

johnmota93

ok thats what im a do then ima try at a junkyard and yea im a get a new catalytic cuz i hear the used ones dont work sometimes .. Alright thanks man i know what i need to do know and what parts to get thanks agian CO671 !!

CO671

Registered VIP
No problem man, yeah get a new catalytic converter and OEM header. Also, you can sell your old one for ~$20-$45 I believe. Just gotta find the places who are willing to purchase. Good luck with the EX.

johnmota93

alright fersure man thats what ima do then and yea i know some spots that even do exchange of cat core take off the price,,thanks man i hope it does come out good ive been haveing that type r muffller for a while and it cost me alot so thanks resolved all my doubts have a goddnight man

Fernando Escobar

For your car, the catalytic converter should be after the header and before the midpipe of your exhaust. From what you explained that's exactly where it is (approx. under the driver's seat). I believe because you have a D16Y8 & for your brother's car the stock catalytic converter should be the lower section of the headers on the manifold (D16Y7).

I'm not 100% sure if the LX comes with dual catalytic converters.. could be the resonator..?

and what "problems" are you having that you believe the cat is giving you?
Hi I have a 96 civic lx is my cat with the manifold same as the 97?