1997 DX hatch

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Finally some updates...

I've been working on cleaning and painting the trans.

Before:

After:

Only about 2/3 is done so far. The other side is still pretty black. I'll hopefully be able to finish that up in the next few days and start on the engine.

Since I changed to OBD2, I will be running the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor on the actual intake. This leaves a hole in the intake manifold runner where the OBD1 sensor would normally go. I made a custom block off plate to solve this problem.

This is a test fit. I need to find some better looking hardware and throw some Hondabond on there before tightening it down.

Also purchased quite the stash of HAMP Synergy filters. These should last a couple thousand miles...

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what paint did you use? and i sent you a message sir

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what paint did you use? and i sent you a message sir
It's just the Autozone special haha. Its 500 degree aluminum finish paint. I just keep doing thin coats so it will stick better. I compared it to the brand new water pump on the engine and it looks spot on, not too shiny or anything. I'm really happy with it. Got your message, thanks man. I'll be torquing them down tomorrow.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
See,I told ya you should paint it. Looks good.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
See,I told ya you should paint it. Looks good.
Lesson learned, always do what CHILD says haha. I've been meaning to ask you, did you put an LS 5th in your B16 trans? If not, did you regret it?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lesson learned, always do what CHILD says haha. I've been meaning to ask you, did you put an LS 5th in your B16 trans? If not, did you regret it?
I actually had a gsr trans. I have a b16 Trans before and it want bad imo. If you're not speeding, the engine isn't screaming, plus having a quiet exhaust (apexi ws 2) kept everything really nice.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I actually had a gsr trans. I have a b16 Trans before and it want bad imo. If you're not speeding, the engine isn't screaming, plus having a quiet exhaust (apexi ws 2) kept everything really nice.
Ok cool. I'm not planning on putting in an LS 5th and I'm just trying to get a bunch of input.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have a quiet exhaust and avoid the interstate you should be ok

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have a quiet exhaust and avoid the speeding you should be ok
Fixed.

Consider that Honda didn't build an engine and transmission that couldn't last for ages in normal driving conditions.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you have a quiet exhaust and avoid the interstate you should be ok
I plan on running the OEM cat back for the foreseeable future. There are more important things I need to replace after the swap is done.

Fixed.

Consider that Honda didn't build an engine and transmission that couldn't last for ages in normal driving conditions.
Exactly what I was thinking. Honda wouldn't have put a transmission in their economy cars that was unbearable for highway driving and unreliable.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
idk. sitting around 4k rpms in my car is damn near unbearable. I know it will last, but will your tolerance? i sit around 32-35 and i can get a headache from it. but im basically not running an exhaust

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not much of an update, but just confirmed a $350 order from Majestic Honda. It feels good to finally get that out of the way. The last major purchase for the swap is a clutch. I also took off those hideous lips.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
glad you got it confirmed man
Thanks man

Here's some of the work I did this weekend...

I finished the trans. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I mocked up the OBD2 IAT sensor on the intake arm. I had to increase the diameter of the existing hole by a couple millimeters, but nothing too hard.

I sold the bent shift linkage that came with my swap for $75 and bought a brand new one from a friend for $90.

I painted all the engine mounts except the rear "T" bracket which is on its way at the moment.

Also got a new dash clock.

Took it to the carwash. Looks much better without the lips.

Soon... =)

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Transmission's looking good! Also looks like you need to invest in a set of latitude wiper blades :P Definitely worth it