1998 Civic Ex

Deathcab

5+ Year Member
Hello,
I am looking for everyone's opnion here. Tommorw I am going to look at a 1998 Civic EX. The guy wants 3700 for it. It has something like 50K miles on the engine, 16 inch rims, and a catback exhaust. Do you think thise is a good deal? It is a 2D ex which means it has a y8 right? The only thing im worried about on this car is that it is going to be way underpowerd.

Also what should I look for when Im driving/looking at this car defects wise? Anything honda prone to break? Also where is the engine code stamp because he said it the engine was swapped so I want to see what engine is in it.

Silver Bullet

6 spd = titis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check if the driver window is in its track because it tends to fall out of place.....

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ that's one of the popular problems 6th gen's have.

As for an engine stamp, it should be located just under the left side of the headers as shown below:

Mine says D16Y8 but you can't read it cuz my car is really dirty

Deathcab

5+ Year Member
ah thanks but does it sound like a good deal? 3700?

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ if your worrying about it being "underpowered", the answer is yes --- in which case, a civic isnt the car for you....unless you plan on spending lots and lots of money to make it "sufficientlypowered"

but it sounds like a good deal :thumbs up

Deathcab

5+ Year Member
I jsut test drove the car, The body is real good on it and hte engine in a y8. Is that a decent engine? it has around 20K miles on the new motor. heres some pics

It is kinda ricy but I will fix that. I think its a good base for my first car though.

TomatoRed

98 civic ex
5+ Year Member
i just bought a 98 civ ex like 2 weeks ago for 5500 with about 85k, so id say 3700 was a great deal! do be sure to watch for the window thing though- mine fell off the track for no apparent reason last week. Good luck with it!

EH2 GSR 7232

Dee Dee Dee
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
doesnt look or sound too bad... I think I see a hint of altezza's though which will have to go lol. but I mean if the swap was done right it should be ok. do you know what model car it is cause it looks like an EX and if it's a y8 motor thats what they came with

Deathcab

5+ Year Member
It is an EX but they swaped another y8 into it. only 150K on body. And yeah there are altezza's. I hate them and they will be the first thing to go, belive me. I think Im going to go for it. It was so different driving it then the new scion. The shifter feels real wobbly. Are all of the shifters like that?

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Deathcab said:
ah thanks but does it sound like a good deal? 3700?
That sounds cheap. Make sure nothings wrong with it.

I got my 98 EX sedan a year ago for 5000, and that was a steal with 118,000 miles.

Deathcab

5+ Year Member
Im about an hour and a half away from Allentown. Lake wallenpaupack? Ring any bells? And About the shifter i dont know It felt loose haha I can't explain it. Hopefully when I get it ill just throw in a short shifter and that will fix my problem.

Arcane Hayter

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its a fair deal, take it.
No but really it sounds good man, car doesn't look overly ricey.
Can't ever get no love for the Altezzas, I rock 'em but whatever.

mule

5+ Year Member
man that sounds like a pretty good deal. what happened to the first engine? that might be something you want to ask. but other than that , very solid car and good mpg in todays world.

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like a good deal. I got my 96 ex coupe with 93k miles for 4900

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Deathcab said:
Im about an hour and a half away from Allentown. Lake wallenpaupack? Ring any bells? And About the shifter i dont know It felt loose haha I can't explain it. Hopefully when I get it ill just throw in a short shifter and that will fix my problem.
Allentown does, but never heard of Lake Wallenpaupack. The shifter is probably fine, the stocker just feels loose. I got a skunk2 short, cleared that right up :thumbs up

Deathcab

5+ Year Member
TheWingMang said:
Allentown does, but never heard of Lake Wallenpaupack. The shifter is probably fine, the stocker just feels loose. I got a skunk2 short, cleared that right up :thumbs up
I live about 30 mins outside of scranton.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When I got my car beginning of summer 2003. it was 7200 with 74,000 miles. 3700 bucks sounds nice.

x98CiViCEXx

EJ8 Squad #218
5+ Year Member
Ah a fellow EJ8 owner! Watch the inner window seals. Mine started to peel and melted to the window