1998 civic rear disc brake conversion..

civic98ek

Registered VIP
I have a 98 ek with rear drums wanna convert them to discs. need some opinions. thought about just buying new drums but think disc conversion might be a better idea.
Advise or if youve done it was it worth it???
Thanks<3

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A lot of people prefer drums, honestly. They're less maintenance, and more reliable. But if you really are dead set on converting, pick up the entire rear brake assembly from a 99-00 EM1 Si, or a 94-01 DC2. Should bolt right up. Make sure you read through a how-to, though, as it requires a bit of work on running brake lines etc.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I've never heard anyone suggest drums are more reliable and less work than discs.. Odd. Guess I don't have enough drum experience to say either way but that's a first for me.

Anyway, I myself have a 99 SI disc conversion on my 94 coupe.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've never heard anyone suggest drums are more reliable and less work than discs.. Odd. Guess I don't have enough drum experience to say either way but that's a first for me.

Anyway, I myself have a 99 SI disc conversion on my 94 coupe.
Drums require turning/maintenance once every 20k miles or so (on average). They aren't ideal for race conditions, but for DD, they are. Consider how often you replace rotors and pads. I myself prefer disc brakes too, but some people are dead set on drums.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
In the ~13 years and 230k miles my car has been owned and driven, the drum brakes have never been serviced. Nothing has ever been replaced. They've been adjusted once and that was when I got new e-brake cables when the original ones both snapped. And that was in the winter of...2010? But that's it.

Like Tokyo said, drum brakes require much less maintenance. Disc brakes obviously look better. If you're thinking you'll get better braking performance, you'll be disappointed. The majority of braking power comes from the front of the car. You'd be better off leaving the drums in and getting better pads/rotors for the front.

civic98ek

Registered VIP
thanks guys. think i might just go with new drums for the back mainly because theyre rusted and sticking every once in a while and new calipers for the front =)

Trekk

Registered VIP
Unless I had some show car or something I would bother with the conversion. Both will stop you just fine. Rear brakes can only do so much stopping before they make you spinout anyways. Drums tend to have less drag so you'll be like .0000001 seconds faster with .0454356 better mpg.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I converted because I wanted my car to have rear disc brakes. I also went with disc because disc brake to me is simpler to work on. To me it was worth it because that's that's what I wanted to do.

Tires are very important in making a car stop too.

civic98ek

Registered VIP
i have good tires. falken ziex tires. just dont wanna do alotta work doing a disc conversion if its not worth it. its mostly stock just bolt ons and maybe a suspension upgrade in the future, but dont plan on doing anything crazy right now..

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have good tires. falken ziex tires. just dont wanna do alotta work doing a disc conversion if its not worth it. its mostly stock just bolt ons and maybe a suspension upgrade in the future, but dont plan on doing anything crazy right now..
I had been debating doing this conversion myself, but as others have said, there's no real point. If you want better performance, upgrade your front discs, pads, and brake lines. That's what I'm doing.

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
i went rear disc conversion and i never have regretted it also i cannot imagine going back to drums! the discs are much better investment, yes up front it is a little costly but they pay for themselves after a pad change or two

radracer

5+ Year Member
Not to thread jack or anything but i have done the conversion on the 96 hatch but the cables arent right i have the e breake adjuster adjusted all the tight and it still dont lock the rears or stop them ..... i have tired numerous cables from napa and autozone ..... i have the scarebird adapter plate teamed up with teggy LS rotors and calipers with a typer -r booster and master combo ...
Does any one have a part number for the correct cables ?

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
can you post pictures of what your actually working with? it might not be the cable per say, since i cannot just go outside and look at it and figure it out pictures would definitely help. If i can see what is going on i will help you figure out whats going on with it.

Not to thread jack or anything but i have done the conversion on the 96 hatch but the cables arent right i have the e breake adjuster adjusted all the tight and it still dont lock the rears or stop them ..... i have tired numerous cables from napa and autozone ..... i have the scarebird adapter plate teamed up with teggy LS rotors and calipers with a typer -r booster and master combo ...
Does any one have a part number for the correct cables ?

radracer

5+ Year Member
i will have to go to the storage garage i have it at as it right now is recovering from water damage from last year but i will get pics up asap

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
your good bro, I know how it is, i am no professional mechanic but i am going to quote what every one of them says. "I would be glad to take a look and figure it out for you but I cannot tell whats wrong without seeing it" lol Sorry to hear about water damage :( that is saddening!

i will have to go to the storage garage i have it at as it right now is recovering from water damage from last year but i will get pics up asap

radracer

5+ Year Member
thanks bro , i am a mechanic myself and we checked everything and it all checks out but it just seems off , i have to figure out how to post pic here of the damage
your good bro, I know how it is, i am no professional mechanic but i am going to quote what every one of them says. "I would be glad to take a look and figure it out for you but I cannot tell whats wrong without seeing it" lol Sorry to hear about water damage :( that is saddening!

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
use imageshack its free and you just copy the link that says imbed image to forum and paste it in your reply and it will post it just make sure you do it for posting to a forum! i will make sure i keep an eye out for you to post

thanks bro , i am a mechanic myself and we checked everything and it all checks out but it just seems off , i have to figure out how to post pic here of the damage