1998 DX tranny question

Brewster

I have a few questions concerning my tranny.
Little history.. I bought this car approx 2 years ago. It has almost always revved up quickly between 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th gears. Sometimes it shifts just fine. What could cause this?

Another thing. I hear some type of popping under hard acceleration or going up steep hills. Ive replaced drivers side axle and nothing has changed. No popping when turning. Its a pop or click thats not that loud but I can hear it when the radio is off.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

RonJ

Banned
Auto transmission?

Popping - passenger axle? Ball joints?

Brewster

Yes its an auto tranny. It almost sounds lije its still the driver side but it has to be the passenger side.

What effects can worn ball joints have? I replaced the upper a arms for adjustable when I lowered it a while back. The look pretty good at this point.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What upper arms were they? A lot of aftermarket ball joints arnt known to last.

Brewster

Have you ever checked the ATF level?

Do three drain and refill cycles of the transmission with Honda ATF. Then go from there.

When you say three cycle and drains, are you saying just drain whats in the pan or converter and all?

RonJ

Banned
When you say three cycle and drains, are you saying just drain whats in the pan or converter and all?

Remove the drain bolt and drain the ATF from the transmission, and then refill, start engine, and slowly move the shifter through all gear positions a few times. Then repeat this drain-and-refill cycle two more times.

Brewster

Will do that this weekend. How many qts should this cycle require?

Thatdumbhbguy

Sure its not motor making sounds under certain loads? Just a thought u probably don't want to hear. I have driven tow trucks for many years seen a lot. Most ball joints and things like that the pop or noise u hear will b it completely failing. . But guess it could b somehow along those lines

Brewster

Sure its not motor making sounds under certain loads? Just a thought u probably don't want to hear. I have driven tow trucks for many years seen a lot. Most ball joints and things like that the pop or noise u hear will b it completely failing. . But guess it could b somehow along those lines
Could be. 176k. Not using any oil