2000 Civic HX HELP and ADVICE!!!

Juanflrs6

alright so i have a 2000 civic hx. I bought the car not realizing how much work it needs. Im working on it now but I just wanted to get some advice on what I should put on the car for performance purposes. the transmission was swapped and is now a 5 speed. right now is has ebay headers and a ebay intake. which I really want to remove so please let me know guys. thanks alot

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please search around. This has been covered to death.

These cars were built for economy. Performance is very expensive to come by. Your best bet it to either swap in a bigger engine or put some kind of forced induction (ie: turbo or supercharger). Bolt on "performance" stuff is a waste of money for the little to no gain that is achieved.

Either spend the dough to swap and/or boost or enjoy your good gas mileage.

RonJ

Banned
What a shame. The HX is highly valued as an economy car that gets high gas mileage. Return it to stock, and sell it for a profit. Use money to buy a performance car.

Juanflrs6

but its a vtec doesn't that count for something lol

Juanflrs6

ohhh alright thanks man. any other mods I can do to the car.. because I do wanna keep it. it doesn't matter what it is. things I can do non performance wise

RonJ

Banned
ohhh alright thanks man. any other mods I can do to the car.. because I do wanna keep it. it doesn't matter what it is. things I can do non performance wise
Any problems?

Give it an ignition system tune up, clear any CEL codes, return it completely to stock, and enjoy the feeling of great gas mileage.

What ECU is installed? Does it have an HX ECU for a manual transmission?

Post some pictures of the car and the engine bay.

Juanflrs6

im not sure what ecu it has. after buying the car I found out that it was swapped from auto to standard 5 speed. I found out because the transmission was marked, and there are wires just there, not connected to anything because it was wiring for a automatic.. I will post pics soon

Trekk

Registered VIP
My y5 was turbo, before I went turbo I was spraying nos on it. All Motor to motor I was faster then a Dx y7 and a hair slower then a Y8 (i blame the gearing) Most of the HX Eco is a low rpm thing under 2500 rpms. It only opens 1 valve fully and the other 1/4 to 1/2 per cylinder under 2500. After that the secondary locks to the primary and they both open the same. Regardless you'd never spray or go into boost at such low rpms anyways, so I still got amazing MPG. Make sure you have the correct ECM so the v-tecE works. Also check that it has a Y5 head on it people tend to swap it.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check out my build thread for my boosted hx in my signature below. if you can find a competent tuner you can keep the high mpg of the car and make alot more power. right now im making 166hp and 149tq and getting 32mpg which is right in the b16a2 territory of power and fuel consumption.

i only had my car dyno tuned but next time i go back i will have the car street tuned to dial in the vacuum maps for better fuel economy. i have seen a turbo d16 making over 200hp and getting 70mpg

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i went with all new stuff that i pieced together with all most all name brand parts and i paid $2800, you can find stuff thats new but discounted when people need to pay bills and you can also buy used for stuff like a wastegate or bov and intercooler setup with pipes. i would advise in buying a good name brand turbo brand new so you dont have to rebuild it right away. if you can install everything yourself and weld stuff then your looking at paying what i paid but if you need someone to customize some cheap ebay piping or a mechanic to install the kit then your probably looking at another $1,000.

this is probably the cheapest most reliable kit you will ever buy
http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gostkit.html

Juanflrs6

just found out that my civic has a y8.. any other advice besides turbo that I could do to fix this car for more power?? everything helps thanks alot

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Again, your car was built for ECONOMY. Making power is going to cost you. Boost or a swap is your only options for noticeable power worth spending the money on.