2000 Civic Si Over Heating problem! HELP!

BboyZr0

As the title says, I have a problem with my B16A2 engine over heating. I'll just be driving around town and after 5-10min of driving the needle would go almost up to H but whenever i'm on the highway it would be fine. After the needle almost hitting H I pulled over and opened my hood and noticed the radiator fan was not even turning on. Weird thing is that when I turned off my engine but still had the car on then the fan would turn on? So the fan still works its just that I don't think it turns on when it needs to? Also, my A/C system all of the sudden went out too. Fan still works, just doesnt blow cold air anymore. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the engine over heating but does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Thanks!

also, the bottom radiator hose is cool maybe warm-ish sometimes but the top radiator hose is just flaming hot!

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
Check the thermostat. Also, do you have coolant is the reserve tank?

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
I do not know where it is located as I've never touched a b16a2. If I find something, I will post what I find.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The thermostat is in a round port bolted to the back of the block. Follow the lower radiator hose to where it connects to the block, that's the thermostat housing. Undo the 2 10mm bolts and inside is your thermostat.

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
If it opens and closes like it should, it should be fine. If it is, try flushing the coolant system.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just replace it. They cost about $8.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
where can i get a new one?

Yikes. You can get one at any auto parts store. I suggest you step away from the car and take it to a mechanic. If this is your only mode of transportation, an overheating problem can quickly destroy your motor. Not knowing where to get basic maintenance parts is a bad omen for your vehicle if you plan on working on it yourself.

BboyZr0

Yikes. You can get one at any auto parts store. I suggest you step away from the car and take it to a mechanic. If this is your only mode of transportation, an overheating problem can quickly destroy your motor. Not knowing where to get basic maintenance parts is a bad omen for your vehicle if you plan on working on it yourself.
lol. yeah, im still fairly new to knowing what to do or where to look at when problems with my car comes up. still learning about everything, period. my brother in law usually helps me out but he's not here at the moment so im just gathering ideas and solutions to the problem til he can help me out but thanks for the help!