2000 civic si starting probs

jaredjmoore89

5+ Year Member
I have a 2000 civic si i just did a motor swap into it and on startup it idles sort of ok but if i touch the gas it dies. if it runs for about 15 secs the idle and gas peddle gets better and the gar runs perfectly fine i just replaced the tps because i broke the last one and replaced the spark plugs.Any ideas on what it could be.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
double check the wiring make sure everything is connected right just my opinion. and what kind of motor did you swap on your si

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Please, you only need one thread for this, not multiple.

jaredjmoore89

5+ Year Member
ok sorry i posted it twice didnt realize there was an engine tech spot till after i posted it first and if you really not sure bout the problem dont reply with anything cause i could care less if i didnt give you enough info thats all i got and for the only respectful guy iv heard from a swapped the same engine into it a b16a2 and the wiring seems to be good i did the swap myself and it runs great just hard to start up i have to start it 2 or 3 times to get it to run right if i give it gas it dies but after about 15 secs of idle its like the plugs start getting hot or something and it runs great.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
iacv? i wouldn't think it, but maybe your map sensor going bad?

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check the idle screw on the throttle body
check your throttle cable

jaredjmoore89

5+ Year Member
I swapped the stock into it b16a2 and its just really boggy on startup like not really an idle but goes up and down between 0 and 1000 rpms or it dies like its not getting gas but it is, i just replaced the tps and fuel filter still nothing and the check engine light is on but it has always been on i got an aftermarket intake and that caused that i need help fast its been a fun project i put the interior and the motor out of my recked si into this stripped one the motor cranked fine in my wrecked one before i pulled it now it wont i replaced the plugs cause they got water in the holes could that possible be the problem the plug wires got wet i get the front bumper in 2 dasy thats the final thing i need for this project to be finished. Costed a lil less than $2000 and the body is perfect. Oh and the engine idles at 2000 or a lil higher on cold and warm and i cant idle that down the idler screw is all the way in and the throttle cable is lose im putting fuel injector cleaner in it today cause the motor set up for a long time so mayb that will solve the problem.Thing is it started fine a month ago in the totalled car in the new one it wont start right. What could of got wet and messed up on the motor cause didnt rain on it but moisture got to it .PLease reply fast.

Black99CivicSi

Honda GSR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the idleing going up and down sounds like a vacuum problem, and do you know what code the ecu is throwing?

jaredjmoore89

5+ Year Member
not sure on the ecu code but it only idles like that on startup and starts fine if the engine is warm only when its cold.

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my boy had a similar problem.. it was his idle air control valve. you could try it Dont know if thats your problem his was more of a hold the gas for 5 minutes and then it would be fine. but it also only happened when it was cold. and itit would be real boggy or even die out. maybe yours is at an early stage?? but dont take my word for it.

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
make sure you didnt reverse your tps and map sensor plugs, the plugs look identical and its a common problem, check that and let us know!

jes_si

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had a similar problem in my swap. and it turned out to be a loose ground wire on the tran, and my timeing was off.

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my boy had a similar problem.. it was his idle air control valve. you could try it Dont know if thats your problem his was more of a hold the gas for 5 minutes and then it would be fine. but it also only happened when it was cold. and itit would be real boggy or even die out. maybe yours is at an early stage?? but dont take my word for it.
yea i have the same problem with my car...when i start the car in the mornin it would juss die...if i dont press on the gas....i have to press the gas for acouple of minutes to make the car run...n not die...so how did u guys fix it...

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yea i have the same problem with my car...when i start the car in the mornin it would juss die...if i dont press on the gas....i have to press the gas for acouple of minutes to make the car run...n not die...so how did u guys fix it...
he changed the iacv, spark plugs, fuel injector cleaner, and throttle body cleaning. well he did all the others before he changed the iacv, i dont think you need to do all that but it wouldnt hurt..

honda_ek9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea my cars is having the same problem as ur friends...how did u guys fix it...cuz when i start up my car when its cold it would juss die....unless i hold the gas down alittle bit n keep it at like 1.5 rpm for like 2 minutes then my car would run fine...n some times my car wont even start...dontnoe why....i have to try to start it up a couple of times before it will start running...hahah...

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I had a bad IACV but that didn't make the car die on start up, it just made the idle have a pulse to it. It surged from around 1000 Rpm up t0 1500 rmp and then went back down, it didn't affect the way the car ran or started.

jaredjmoore89

5+ Year Member
you know the reversing wires actually crossed my mind but i dont think one of them would reach and i just replaced the tps but when its running and i unplug it nothing happens but if i unplug the map sensor the engine dies. ill try it tomorrow and reverse them to see if anything happens i mean what could it hurt.